FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Can I ask the FA for drinks in order to fill a flask for a bachelor party? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1387601-can-i-ask-fa-drinks-order-fill-flask-bachelor-party.html)

tolkiennut Sep 14, 2012 11:01 am

Can I ask the FA for drinks in order to fill a flask for a bachelor party?

In UA F en route to ORD this weekend for a bachelor party. Will be on an 8am flight with an 6oz empty (thanks TSA) hip flask. Said hip flask will be needed immediately following flight for golf outing.

Question to my brethren:

To Fill or not to Fill

SEA1K4EVR Sep 14, 2012 11:09 am

Originally Posted by tolkiennut (Post 19315143)
In UA F en route to ORD this weekend for a bachelor party. Will be on an 8am flight with an 6oz empty (thanks TSA) hip flask. Said hip flask will be needed immediately following flight for golf outing.

Question to my brethren:

To Fill or not to Fill

Throw 4 50ml minis in your carryon liquids bag...then you can fill it yourself without risking getting caught at a body scanner.

todorovic Sep 14, 2012 11:13 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 (Bold): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I suspect that the Q is to fill or not to fill with UA provided minis. If that's the case I say drink as much as you want but don't take it off the plane with you.

Ocn Vw 1K Sep 14, 2012 11:14 am

As this is not specific to United, please follow as this moves to the appropriate travel security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United.

tolkiennut Sep 14, 2012 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K (Post 19315225)
As this is not specific to United, please follow as this moves to the appropriate travel security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United.

To clarify

Can I obtain drink from UA F FA's to fill flask.

rittenhousesq Sep 14, 2012 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by tolkiennut (Post 19315252)
To clarify

I doubt it. As another suggested, buy a few minis before you leave for the airport and put them in your 3oz liquids bag. I do that all the time.

Ocn Vw 1K Sep 14, 2012 2:43 pm

tolkiennut, thank you for clarifying your question.

I believe that U.S. airlines are forbidden from pouring alcohol except for serving to passengers for drinking on the plane. Flight attendants have been known in the past to gift a full, unopened bottle of wine in the case of a departing passenger.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Sep 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Order the booze you want with a coke - see how it is served. Many times they serve the coke with the mini bottle. In that case dump the mini in the flask. However, I would only do that with mini bottles that I buy - otherwise it would be personna-non-gratta in my book.

As such, as suggested bring some mini bottles or find a golf course that serves booze.

Ocn Vw 1K Sep 15, 2012 8:16 am

Since the OP started the thread, he has clarified his question and I edited the thread title accordingly. Although this was originally in the United forum, the rules which would govern would not likely differ among airlines operating in the U.S. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

You want to go where? Sep 15, 2012 9:17 am

Originally Posted by tolkiennut (Post 19315252)
To clarify

No. Drinks served on board are intended to be consumed on board. Follow the suggestion of buying minis in advance.

Flubber2012 Sep 15, 2012 9:25 am

Why don't you just stop and buy something on the way to the golf course?

If time is that much of a premium, how about one of your buddies provides the booze?

KurtVH Sep 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Just order the booze neat and pour it into your flask.

Doing this does mean you're cheap, though.

Apieinthesky Sep 15, 2012 12:57 pm

When I flew AA F STL-LGA last month, I ordered a rum and coke, they gave me the coke with the two mini bottles. I ended up finishing one and tossing the other in my carry on. I had not intended to do this, but took it 'cause I had an extra. I don't think I would've tried it multiple times to get minis.

WillCAD Sep 16, 2012 6:42 am

Don't bother. If there's the slightest bit of vibration on the plane, you run the risk of spilling the stuff all over yourself, or the seat, or your seatmates.

Take a few minutes to buy something in the destination airport when you arrive, or make a 5-minute stop at a liquor store on the way from the airport to the golf course. If you're in a cab, the stop will be quick and the driver won't mind

If one of your buddies is picking you up from the airport, let him make the 5-minute stop on his way TO the airport to pic you up.

There are just too many easy ways for you to get some booze to resort to this sort of shenanigan aboard the plane. Just have yourself a drink during the flight and get the rest of your booze when you land.

By the way - it will cost a LOT less to pick up a bottle at a liquor store when you land than it will cost you to get a drink aboard the plane. Save yourself some pesos, my friend.

tev9999 Sep 17, 2012 8:52 pm

6 ounce? What are you going to drink for holes 3-18?