Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous things your company has done to reduce travel expenses

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector
That's definitely the case for me (we get rebates for booking on United or Delta), but I've been told the rebate is on the order of 2-3% not the 10-20% fare difference I often see. I think the accountants care more about being in control than actually finding cost savings.
So I do a lot of work in the middle east and I'm finding that procurement guys are constantly trying to get a few extra points to prove their worth. This after the team I'm working with has already put me through the mill

It is very similar to what you are saying in that the bean counters want to have the ability to say

"look the syst we put in has saved you three whole percent on every ticket"

But in an entirely month python slight of verbiage forget to mention that the original ticket is twenty five percent over the odds....
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by CMK10
Fighting with the bean counters again.

Background: I have a trial in Charlotte at 8:30 AM on 1/3. I go to Charlotte two or three times a month and I pick up a rental from a nearby Enterprise. 1/2 is a federal holiday so all local Enterprise branches in my area are closed. I told my executive director I'd pick up a car from RDU and expense that plus one day's parking of my car at RDU. This will cost a total of $68 ($54 for the rental, $14 for parking) She flipped out at the idea because it's outside the box and started to try and think of alternates. None of which were feasible.

- Pick up at RDU and return at local branch: $185 due to $75 drop fee plus there's still the issue of how I get from my house to RDU then home the next day.
- We'll pay you mileage to drive your car. 290 miles round trip * $.56 = $162.40
- I'll pick you up at your house on 1/2, take you to the airport, and on 1/3 I'll drive you home. That wastes a ton of time, I tried to explain what opportunity costs were and how this was entirely nonsensical.

Eventually I got them to just listen that they were arguing over $14 and this really was the only solution. After all, I'm the only one in the office with any degree of travel experience and I spent three years working in the rental car industry. Sigh, maybe I should have just eaten the $14.
They missed one option ... ask the judge to delay the trial to avoid requiring travel on a federal holiday and the extra costs that will be incurred due to your local Enterprise station being closed. ROTFL. 😂
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The per diem approach seems like it breaks down, though, when entertaining customers. If I've got $60/day for myself, what do I do when I take two of a customer's IT engineers to lunch when we're working together, or treat a prospect to a nice dinner while trying to earn his business?
In some industries it's not really an issue - if you're dealing mostly with gov't contracts, you likely can't buy the customer more than a donut and coffee.

Rules that I deal with are that I generally can't buy our customers food, and can't accept food from vendors, but can from customers. When we're at an all day meeting at a vendor and they bring in lunch, we all put money in a cup for them (and they usually don't have a way to book it) and then it gets used for their office coffee and snack fund or something. If a customer brings in food it's not a problem.

If you're expected to entertain customers, then you need to have a mechanism to get reimbursed for it.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by invisible
Does your Concur allow booking multiple stop itineraries? Our does not.
Ours does but only if the multi-stop can be priced out and issued all on one ticket. If you need two completely separate tickets for some legitimate reason, you need to create a separate trip request for that.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Gold, Emerald Club Executive Elite, Global Entry
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Another +1 for this. In all but the most expensive cities and with the toughest schedules to keep, I can eat reasonably for $60/day average. I'll take the lower budget in exchange for avoiding the hassle of expense reports and the ability to pocket the difference on days when I can eat cheaply.

The per diem approach seems like it breaks down, though, when entertaining customers. If I've got $60/day for myself, what do I do when I take two of a customer's IT engineers to lunch when we're working together, or treat a prospect to a nice dinner while trying to earn his business?
At our company, if we are buying for customers or multiple employees, the per diem doesn't apply to that meal and is deducted from the total for the day. It's actually a per "mealium" in that each meal has a $ allocation that you can claim as applicable. For example, if hotel breakfast is included in the rate, you can't claim the $10 for breakfast. It's rare on my trips that I can claim a full day's worth of per diem due to hotel breakfasts and catered lunches at the office.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
For the first time, we were given an actual travel budget. It used to be that we just got yelled at at the end of the year for all the trips, typically by the person that approved all the trips.

Being the good traveler, I finished the year several hundred dollars under my given budget. Good job, huh?

Nope, got pointed out that others finished several thousand under their budgets. (which were higher than mine for similar work).
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Ours does but only if the multi-stop can be priced out and issued all on one ticket. If you need two completely separate tickets for some legitimate reason, you need to create a separate trip request for that.
Ours used to, but a glitch in their system caused it to be priced out higher than if you did it segment by segment. So, multi-city was taken away for a period of time.

I noticed that recently, it was reinstated.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
For the first time, we were given an actual travel budget. It used to be that we just got yelled at at the end of the year for all the trips, typically by the person that approved all the trips.

Being the good traveler, I finished the year several hundred dollars under my given budget. Good job, huh?

Nope, got pointed out that others finished several thousand under their budgets. (which were higher than mine for similar work).
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to almost anything." - attributed to Ronald Coase, Nobel laureate in Economics

clearly this is where presenting underrun as a percentage of budget rather than in absolute dollars would probably be to your benefit
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by pbiflyer

The other staff probably routed via timbucktu for an extra 12 hours but saved a few bucks and then charged for those unproductive 12 hours. You probably got there quickly with your knowledge of routes but the morons only looked at the bottom $ travel cost.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:40 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done

This thread is now archived. Please follow the conversation here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-has-done.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.