Ridiculous things your company has done to reduce travel expenses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous things your company has done to reduce travel expenses

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Nuff Said
I worked at the British Rail York Regional Headquarters for several years... Staff could claim breakfast allowance if they departed their home station, in this case York, before 0800, and for years this train was deliberately timed to depart York at 0801 in order to prevent them from claiming breakfast allowance.
84 pages of responses to this thread and this one gets my vote this one as most in keeping with the thread title.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by sjclynn
84 pages of responses to this thread and this one gets my vote this one as most in keeping with the thread title.
Thanks, nice of you to say that.

The Chief Operating Manager was in overall charge of the timing section, and it was in his interest that this train departed York after 0800 as most of those who used it to travel to meetings were train planing/timing staff who came under his jurisdiction. This was back in the days when the Newcastle-Bristol services were locomotive hauled. All changed when the timetable was re-cast to coincide with the introduction of High Speed Trains onto the route.

Shortly before I left the railway, during the run up to privatisation of the industry, scale expenses were abolished and replaced by a system which required claimants to submit receipts.

Last edited by Nuff Said; Dec 5, 2016 at 6:03 pm Reason: Additional paragraph
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by sjclynn
+1 Agreed.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Sounds to me like someone doesn't like the idea of having that single malt or beer with the meal. That will be the next shoe to drop.
Thanks to all who answered. @RichMSN, what's funny is that I don't even drink. It never even occurred to me that that is what they are looking for, but I bet you're right.

Most of our other policies are pretty sane, so I'm fine with the occasional inconvenience.

Mike
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Second week battle with T/E team which has been outsourced to Phillipines. They required receipts for $5 charge at SFO for luggage card and receipts at Starbucks for $8, $9, and $12. Also my receipt for dinner for $29 was denied because the total showed $90. My explanation that the receipt was splitted by three was not taken either.
How do they know you actually ate $29 of food and didn't subsidize your friends?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Staff could claim breakfast allowance if they departed their home station, in this case York, before 0800, and for years this train was deliberately timed to depart York at 0801 in order to prevent them from claiming breakfast allowance.
I knew that Brits have peculiar sense of humor but this beats all of these....
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:39 am

I knew that Brits have peculiar sense of humor but this beats all of these....
It may look like a joke, but those who were prevented from claiming breakfast allowance for the sake of a minute may beg to differ. I only wish I still had the timetables from the period concerned. My job was in current operations control and never involved attending meetings.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I must say that I don't even find it that unreasonable. If you can control the schedule why not look at it from a company view. Lots of people travel before 8:00 and pay for their own breakfast (something different than those staying overnight for work....).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
I must say that I don't even find it that unreasonable. If you can control the schedule why not look at it from a company view. Lots of people travel before 8:00 and pay for their own breakfast (something different than those staying overnight for work....).
My bold. I presume you find it reasonable. .

It was an agreement between the then nationalised British Rail and the unions, and finished in about 1996. Specific times were laid down as to what could be claimed and how much. Away from home station on or before 0800 meant breakfast allowance could be claimed, 0801 or later, no, and that meant just that! The allowances were increased by the rate of inflation every year, and it was a nice little earner for those who attended lots of meetings away from their home station, as it was paid as a right without scrutiny or question from the industries bean counters.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Thanks, nice of you to say that.

The Chief Operating Manager was in overall charge of the timing section, and it was in his interest that this train departed York after 0800 as most of those who used it to travel to meetings were train planing/timing staff who came under his jurisdiction. This was back in the days when the Newcastle-Bristol services were locomotive hauled. All changed when the timetable was re-cast to coincide with the introduction of High Speed Trains onto the route.

Shortly before I left the railway, during the run up to privatisation of the industry, scale expenses were abolished and replaced by a system which required claimants to submit receipts.
I worked at the BR Research Division in Derby and we had the bizarre situation of being able to choose either scheme on a case-by-case basis. They were also late to the game in paying expenses into bank accounts, and you used to have to queue at the cash office to get your expenses in cash. As I worked on international schemes, I spent many nervous moments walking along London Road with many hundreds of pounds in my pocket en route to the bank.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by FatnLoud
I worked at the BR Research Division in Derby and we had the bizarre situation of being able to choose either scheme on a case-by-case basis. They were also late to the game in paying expenses into bank accounts, and you used to have to queue at the cash office to get your expenses in cash. As I worked on international schemes, I spent many nervous moments walking along London Road with many hundreds of pounds in my pocket en route to the bank.
There is just way too much brittishisms in this post not to simply applaud. Well done.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:47 am

Second week battle with T/E team which has been outsourced to Phillipines. They required receipts for $5 charge at SFO for luggage card and receipts at Starbucks for $8, $9, and $12. Also my receipt for dinner for $29 was denied because the total showed $90. My explanation that the receipt was splitted by three was not taken either.
Today got following Travel Policy update:

We now have incorporated the existing consulting per-diem policy into the Travel Policy. Consultants travelling for 5 days or more can claim a daily per diem without providing receipts. The daily per diem is aligned with local tax laws and is USD 45 for all trips to SEA countries and USD 60 for all trips outside of SEA.
Before than it was USD 70 for SEA countries and USD 110 for US/CA/EU/AU/NZ. But, every receipt has to be provided.

Honestly, I am happier with new policy. My current ER took four weeks to be approved after being denied with above mentioned Starbucks expenses.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Today got following Travel Policy update:

Before than it was USD 70 for SEA countries and USD 110 for US/CA/EU/AU/NZ. But, every receipt has to be provided.

Honestly, I am happier with new policy. My current ER took four weeks to be approved after being denied with above mentioned Starbucks expenses.
I'd much rather have a $60 per diem than actual expenses with a $110 cap.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
How do they know you actually ate $29 of food and didn't subsidize your friends?
My poor friends, you wanted to say. Yes I did.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by djk7
I'd much rather have a $60 per diem than actual expenses with a $110 cap.
Ditto

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.