Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated thread: Seat recline etiquette.

Consolidated thread: Seat recline etiquette.

Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:49 pm
Suspended

[Moderator edit to conform to moderation of originally-quoted post.]

Now with this subject, I can't wait until the day all the airlines become like Spirit and get rid of the reclining feature, although I have no problem with gently/slowly putting your seat back during non-meal times, it's the people that slam the seat back as soon as they sit down or during meal service that shouldn't be allowed out of their houses.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 4, 2015 at 8:43 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
The next time you fly, move your seat in front of hers. Recline the whole time.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Esltroy
The next time you fly, move your seat in front of hers. Recline the whole time.
This
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by airplanegod

Now with this subject, I can't wait until the day all the airlines become like Spirit and get rid of the reclining feature, although I have no problem with gently/slowly putting your seat back during non-meal times, it's the people that slam the seat back as soon as they sit down or during meal service that shouldn't be allowed out of their houses.
Might be fine on short haul but I frequently do long haul with 3 or 4 flights in 28 hours. No way am I not going to recline.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by AldoNOLA
My typically sympathetic and empathetic wife immediately and fully relines her seat and keeps it there as long as possible. She is 5'3 so it is not a matter of her needing legroom, she just has always done it. I am 6'3 but haven't been able to convince her how big a deal it can be when someone in front of me reclines. On a few occasions someone has objected politely but she politely insists and carries on.
Why would you even need/want to 'reform' her? She may not *need* the leg space but she certainly feels more comfortable in a reclined seat.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:09 pm

I actually had a bad recliner today. I was flying from ATL to SCL. I had a ton of work to get done on the plane so I actually burned through a RUC. (Regional Upgrade Certificate for your non-delta folks) So, I was in first class and I knew this guy in front of me would recline the whole time. He actually did it before we even took off. The really crappy thing was that the seat was slightly broken, so the left side of his seat actually reclined about two inches more than the right side. My tray table looked like a pine wood derby ramp. So, I ended up having to stack a bunch of books on one side to even it out so I could work.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Smile

Originally Posted by airplanegod

The last thing I would want is for all airlines to become like Spirit!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Esltroy
I actually had a bad recliner today. I was flying from ATL to SCL. I had a ton of work to get done on the plane so I actually burned through a RUC. (Regional Upgrade Certificate for your non-delta folks) So, I was in first class and I knew this guy in front of me would recline the whole time. He actually did it before we even took off. The really crappy thing was that the seat was slightly broken, so the left side of his seat actually reclined about two inches more than the right side. My tray table looked like a pine wood derby ramp. So, I ended up having to stack a bunch of books on one side to even it out so I could work.
Are you sure a regional upgrade would get you to Chile? Or did you mistake the code?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Are you sure a regional upgrade would get you to Chile? Or did you mistake the code?
Thanks SLC not SCL...
Good Catch!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by Lioneye
I think reclining should be made impossible in economy. In fact I'd gladly pay extra to sit in a "no reclining" area of an aeroplane...............(that will get the bean counters thinking!)

I'm tempted to invest in the Knee Defender.............
I'll rather agree here.
I was on a QR B787 from DOH to VIE last week and when the couple in the seats in front of me reclined their seats it was horror.

Luckily I had 3 seats for myself, thus used all 3 to get some sleep.
Waking up a few hours later to watch a movie I moved to the third (aisle seat) to at least enjoy the movie, not the B787 flight.

Wednesday flying in the other direction and hoping 3 free seats again, the only way to survive flying the B787 in cattle class.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Paul56
The airline provides seating that reclines therefore it is the seat occupants right to use the full function of that seat.
The airlines also continue to provide functional ashtrays outside the lavatories but no one would point to those and conclude that that gives passengers the right to stand there and smoke.

You can recline yourself and you can put your feet under the seat in front of you which moves your knees out of the way.
Not everyone finds reclining more comfortable. I prefer to sit upright or mostly upright, particularly if I'm watching a movie on my iPad or trying to get work done.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by LTBoston
The airlines also continue to provide functional ashtrays outside the lavatories but no one would point to those and conclude that that gives passengers the right to stand there and smoke.
You also have access (with cash of course) to a seat where space is in abundance and reclining is no longer an issue.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
When governments pass laws prohibiting reclining ones seats similar to the anti-smoking legislation let us know. In the meantime I will continue to recline.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jul 6, 2015 at 10:14 am
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:43 am
HMO

Smoking is prohibited by law.
Reclining isn't, at least the last time I had checked
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:27 am

I never use the recline feature, but others around me do. I usually fly Southwest and I really don't have any problems with the person in front of me reclining.

I should say I am only 5'4" - maybe that is why it doesn't interfere with my comfort. I have also used the tray table when others are reclining - no trouble with that either.

Does the recline feature differ with different airlines? Does Southwest's recline feature not go back as far?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.