Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Donate unused Hotel Soaps and Sundries

Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW-APCP, National-EE, HH- Diamond, AA-Gld

I travel a lot (like the rest of you) and recently started saving all my unused hotel soaps, shampoos, conditioners, mouthwash, and bath gel. I gather these things at each stop and place them in a gallon size ziploc. At the end of the trip I donate them to my local food bank or women's shelter. They are so thankful of the donation and I have been told it is one of the most popular items at the food bank and shelter.

Instead of leaving them behind, consider keeping them and donating them, I know your community would appreciate it. :-:
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Post moved to TravelBuzz because there is no discusion of earning or redeeming miles or points.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although a nice gesture, I wonder how much extra carbon is generated fly thousands of tons of soap and shampoo around the world with this practice? Maybe you are making the world a worse place with this practice.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i'll bet the old food bank could also use towels, bedding, tv's and anything else you can get your hands on. if you play it right, you can get into the maid's cart in the hall and really clean up on toiletries. i presume those things cost the hotel a quarter or so each, so you can grab a buck's worth a day.

i notice at the starwood chain, the maids refill the liquid soap and shampoo containers.

although that stuff is set out for you, it is not for the taking, it is for the using. you want to donate to the food bank, do so with a check, and fill in the proper line on your irs statement.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by slawecki
although that stuff is set out for you, it is not for the taking, it is for the using. you want to donate to the food bank, do so with a check, and fill in the proper line on your irs statement.
This.

If you don't use it, leave it. Yeah, I know some maids err..., room technicians will probably nick it anyway, but that's not the point.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:58 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

....although that stuff is set out for you, it is not for the taking, it is for the using. you want to donate to the food bank, do so with a check, and fill in the proper line on your irs statement.
I disagree, the in-room amenities provided in small bottles are yours for the taking should you want to. The cost of these is included in the room rate.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
i'll bet the old food bank could also use towels, bedding, tv's and anything else you can get your hands on. if you play it right, you can get into the maid's cart in the hall and really clean up on toiletries. i presume those things cost the hotel a quarter or so each, so you can grab a buck's worth a day.

i notice at the starwood chain, the maids refill the liquid soap and shampoo containers.

Ick, I hope the maids don't refill the small bottles. In fact, I wish they were sealed like hotel mouthwash. There's always the slight chance that someone will put some other substance into the bottle they leave behind as a joke or something. I won't use stuff from the big bottles attached to the shower wall, even when they appear to have some sort of tamper resistant top.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by waldojj
I travel a lot (like the rest of you) and recently started saving all my unused hotel soaps, shampoos, conditioners, mouthwash, and bath gel. I gather these things at each stop and place them in a gallon size ziploc. At the end of the trip I donate them to my local food bank or women's shelter. They are so thankful of the donation and I have been told it is one of the most popular items at the food bank and shelter.

Instead of leaving them behind, consider keeping them and donating them, I know your community would appreciate it. :-:
A very good idea. I have drawers of soap and shampoo....

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Although a nice gesture, I wonder how much extra carbon is generated fly thousands of tons of soap and shampoo around the world with this practice? Maybe you are making the world a worse place with this practice. :confuse:
I somehow think that this is amongst the least of my daily concerns, but thanks for the heads up. I will order my bubble shelter and food insurance this evening

Perhaps the housekeepers should just leave the prior guest's soap and shampoo in the room for reuses.... Maybe they shouldn't change the sheets for a week or two either.....

Over dramatize much??? The OP suggested donating unused soaps and shampoo from their paid for hotel room. I do not see anything in the OP's post that suggests holding up the hotel's housekeeping department...

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I disagree, the in-room amenities provided in small bottles are yours for the taking should you want to. The cost of these is included in the room rate.
^^^
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:53 am

Just wondering...what happens to the slightly used soap (or the shampoo that only has a tiny bit removed)? Do they toss it in the garbage? I can see a maid taking some (just rinse it off), but the rest?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:57 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD

I totally disagree with your viewpoint. I have been saving these for years and donating them regularly. They are placed in the rooms for the guests to use how they wish.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by waldojj
I gather these things at each stop and place them in a gallon size ziploc. At the end of the trip I donate them to my local food bank or women's shelter. They are so thankful of the donation and I have been told it is one of the most popular items at the food bank and shelter.

Don't forget the toilet paper, pens, stationery, coffee, creamer, and sugar. <end sarcasm font>

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
Just wondering...what happens to the slightly used soap (or the shampoo that only has a tiny bit removed)? Do they toss it in the garbage? I can see a maid taking some (just rinse it off), but the rest?
Check out these links:
Global Soap Project
Clean The World
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Originally Posted by GB
I totally disagree with your viewpoint. I have been saving these for years and donating them regularly. They are placed in the rooms for the guests to use how they wish.
Says who? (Aside from you.)
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: IHG Gold
You can also consider donating them to an old folks home. Some of the ladies in those (and there are far more ladies than men) enjoy getting them and have very limited incomes to just go out and buy them
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Although a nice gesture, I wonder how much extra carbon is generated fly thousands of tons of soap and shampoo around the world with this practice? Maybe you are making the world a worse place with this practice.
My office collects these items from all the traveling workers and donates them to the women's shelter. They are three blocks away.

Do you really think that the
local food bank or women's shelter.
is flying tons of donated material around the world?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
Ever wonder what happens to used hotel soap?

Ever wonder what happens to leftover soap and shampoo at hotels?

Most are thrown away. About 1 million partly used bars of soap are tossed out daily by U.S. hotels, according to Clean the World Foundation, a non-profit organization that recycles used soap for distribution to developing nations and homeless shelters.

But recycling organizations such as Clean the World, based in Orlando, and Global Soap Project, based in Atlanta, are starting to get more attention from large hotel companies

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.