Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Had no idea flight attendants went thru so much training

Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

I just ran across an article on jaunted, about singapore air's practice facilities. I know its not delta, but I thought some of y'all may think its interesting.

Here is the link. (Let me know if I can't post this sorta stuff.)
http://www.jaunted.com/story/2012/6/...apore+Airlines
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Moderator, please move to TravelBuzz.

And yes, they go through so much training and have to go to recurrent training at least once a year. What's scary is that with all that training, the flight attendants in the US aren't paid that well.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Check out this site where you will see many of us in Delta's facilities in 2009 (it's been 3 years, sorry about any broken links):

There was a repeat in 2010, somebody might have that link handy ...
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by Wiirachay

And yes, they go through so much training and have to go to recurrent training at least once a year. What's scary is that with all that training, the flight attendants in the US aren't paid that well.
Actually that is why they are paid what they are paid.
It is not that they have an inherit value. Working for the airline and the training provided is what makes them of any value. And also easily replaceable.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Check out this site where you will see many of us in Delta's facilities in 2009 (it's been 3 years, sorry about any broken links):

Here's a link to pics from the 2010 event that someone posted on FT: http://jamesgregory.smugmug.com/The-Second-Annual-Delta
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
When I was an FA, not only was initial training very intense, but you didn't get paid for it *unless you successfully completed it*. I've heard from some current FAs that their airlines don't even pay their room and board during initial training anymore.

Now, you may ask, why would a person want to put themselves through such crazy training for no pay, and for very little reward afterward?

It can be best summed up by this little scene that occurred on the first day of training for me. We all walked into our training class and sat down. There was a woman on the floor, nicely dressed in high heels, stockings, skirt-suit, but knees on the ground, rear-end to us, searching frantically for something. After a few minutes, someone piped up: "Can we help you find something?"

"I'm looking for the glamour in the job. I haven't found any in 15 years, but I'll keep looking."

It's not a glamourous job. It's not "fun". It's work. And no matter what propaganda the FA's try to spew down your throats, no, a flight attendant's job is not for the health and wellbeing of the passengers (nor are you a waitress in the sky). Yes, we were trained for that, but it's more a Customer Service position - you need to be able to keep people happy and calm, by whatever means at your disposal, because you're entirely on your own up there. It takes a special kind of training (and people) to think and act quickly and independently, without the need for external management.

And - to be able to adapt to an ever changing work environment. Your team rotates on a constant basis. Who you fly with today won't necessarily be on your crew tomorrow, so you need to be able to trust their training and their abilities.

So, the pay sucks, but the training is invaluable.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:14 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by MikeMpls

...and I do.

Here is the link to the official Internet web site of the 2010 Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event, and the official FlyerTalk discussion of the event.
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Here's a link to pics from the 2010 event that someone posted on FT: http://jamesgregory.smugmug.com/The-Second-Annual-Delta
More specifically, here is the link to the actual Road Warrior Training where FlyerTalk members learned hands-on a small fraction of the training flight attendants must go through.
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
You got it.

As well-liked and as hard-working are the flight attendants of Delta Air Lines, there are flight attendants from other airlines who train and work hard as well, and would possibly like to contribute to and participate in this discussion.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.