Wiki Posts
Search

What Are Your Top Airline Pet Peeves? The 2012 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Please click here for the article and poll results.

Upon boarding an airplane, you look forward to a smooth, comfortable, quick and uneventful flight, but — as a frequent flier — you know that that does not always happen, to say the least.

Your legs are cramped as you wedge them in between you and that seat in front of you — and that is before the passenger in front of you suddenly decides to recline. The electrical outlet by your middle seat is inoperable, causing you to hope that your laptop battery is still fully charged. The growling hunger in your stomach appears to laugh, knowing that that one little bag of peanuts the flight attendant gave to you while grunting “here” before disappearing for the remainder of the flight will do little to satiate yourself. A child starts screaming in the seat next to you as you cover your nose to minimize the intake of the horrendous body odor of a nearby passenger, who also reeks of alcohol and stale cigarette smoke.

FlyerTalk — the largest Internet travel community in the world with a rich base of travel knowledge — has collaborated with Frequent Business Traveler magazine on the third of a series of polls pertaining to “pet peeves” of air travel, restaurants, hotels and technology. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the poll; FlyerTalk members — yes, you in particular — will provide the opinions.

This poll is the 2012 Air Travel Pet Peeves Poll, which will be active through July 23, 2012. Many FlyerTalk members spend quite a bit of time on airplanes traveling all over the world — and any airline can potentially foster issues and situations which can drive you absolutely insane.

The primary purpose of this particular discussion is for you to opine, elaborate on your thoughts and relate your experiences as an airline passenger — most likely, more often than you would prefer.

Results of this poll will be announced both on-line in the magazine and here on FlyerTalk.

So — what are your “pet peeves”? Please vote today and let everyone know!

I will start...

I despise those sinks in the airplane lavatories found on Boeing 757 aircraft, as I cannot wash my hands without touching the rim of the sink unless I perform some unnatural acrobatic maneuvers — only to find that the compartment where the paper towels are typically located is empty when I attempt to dry my hands. I also do not like a wet lavatory floor, as I do not even want to think about what is that liquid.

Why do all of the in-flight magazines around my seat have all of the crossword puzzles either partially or completely filled?

I can be quite understanding of the misery of a child confined to a seat while in flight, but when the parent is apathetic of a screaming child and does little to attempt to calm that child down — especially on a long-haul flight — that shows no respect for either the child or fellow passengers who are trying to rest or sleep.

Why are some aircraft not equipped with air nozzles? I like to have air blowing on me when the air aboard the aircraft is stagnant and stale — or to help waft away the “silent but deadly” emission launched by a fellow passenger nearby.

I have others, but enough about me — what about you?

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm Reason: Included link to the final survey results.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH

The person behind me who constantly pokes the touch-screen.

The person next to me that can't sit still and can't control their elbow.

The person boarding who can't seem to cram their carry-on into the overhead, and spends several minutes trying. And the Flight Attendant who allows it.

I guess I have people issues.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P
1. Anything that makes me even more claustrophobic: Full recliners, lack of legroom, people taking up too much space.

2. Noise is next: Misbehaving children, loud people, misbehaving adults.

Everything else is incidental. I don't need IFE; I have an iPad. Lack of / poor quality food - who cares? And I don't even bother trying to carry on anymore; it's not worth the hassle.

Last edited by LTBoston; Jul 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:14 pm

leaving the seatbelt sign on freaking indefinitely...

PHX-EWR red eye last wednesday. no turbulence what so ever. not one bump.. seat belt sign was never turned off.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
My pet peeve about airlines is airlines and everything about them. There are very few other industries where the customers are treated with such contempt and disdain..
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:35 pm

The biggest one being the silly boarding procedures at the gate, please make LOUD announcements 2-3 times so that everyone in the area can hear it, not a timid little voice

Any airline not having an operational IFE on long-haul (or having a pathetic one) is just crap! It should be updated weekly with new content, not after a month!
How the heck do you spend time without IFE, you can't sleep because people are constantly touching the seats, coughing, etc which disturbs each time you start to doze off. Not everyone can afford to carry ipads everywhere.

Airlines whose crew insist on speaking English even after noticing that you're not 'one of them'.

Crappy food which is not cooked well, or serving things you wouldn't cook at home, I so wanna slap the stupid chefs that prepare the catering for some airlines. When I ask for that stupid special meal, please only replace the main serving, not all the items, the piece of cake is okay!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
Increasing revenue with fees for everything.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Kayaker and LVF, OZ Carbonesque
I will leave the common and the obvious for others, and comment on my odd pet peeves.

1. Sticky tray tables
2. Never emptying the trash receptacle in the lavatory (ahem, United)
3. I appreciate the FAs bringing water/juice in the middle of long flights, but the cups are rarely retrieved for disposal, and I accumulate quite a collection by midflight. (United 2/too)
4. Uneven volume on different IFE channels; extra loud PA volume interrupting the IFE
5. Sitting next to a tuberculous cougher
6. Sitting next to a fidgeter
7. Aisle Yoga
8. The couple having the loud conversation nearby while I am trying to sleep.
9. Members of the Occupy Bathroom movement (no pun intended)
10. Having to contort my head such that I am able to expectorate into the wash basin after brushing my teeth. Perhaps this would not be a problem if I practiced Aisle Yoga.
11. Stains
12. Static-cling blankets that leave a layer of coloured fuzz on light-colored clothing
13. Temperature extremes
14. Cabin crew who are present primarily for my safety, and who subsequently ensure my safety by thumbing idly through inane periodicals while hiding in the galley
15. Decreased seat pitch due to seat pocket containing various catalogues
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:02 am

1. Crazy and/or inconsiderate passengers
2. Lack of legroom - I recline so I don't care what the person in front of me does; but lack of legroom makes me feel highly claustrophobic.
3. Dirty lavs - really?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
The seatbelt buckle and belt fabric that had dried barf all over it. As in my most recent inbound flight. It was a full flight: I didn't even have a choice not to touch it.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Please click here for the article and poll results. <-- This link will not be activated until the results are released.

Upon boarding an airplane, you look forward to a smooth, comfortable, quick and uneventful flight, but — as a frequent flier — you know that that does not always happen, to say the least.

Your legs are cramped as you wedge them in between you and that seat in front of you — and that is before the passenger in front of you suddenly decides to recline. The electrical outlet by your middle seat is inoperable, causing you to hope that your laptop battery is still fully charged. The growling hunger in your stomach appears to laugh, knowing that that one little bag of peanuts the flight attendant gave to you while grunting “here” before disappearing for the remainder of the flight will do little to satiate yourself. A child starts screaming in the seat next to you as you cover your nose to minimize the intake of the horrendous body odor of a nearby passenger, who also reeks of alcohol and stale cigarette smoke.

FlyerTalk — the largest Internet travel community in the world with a rich base of travel knowledge — has collaborated with Frequent Business Traveler magazine on the third of a series of polls pertaining to “pet peeves” of air travel, restaurants, hotels and technology. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the poll; FlyerTalk members — yes, you in particular — will provide the opinions.

This poll is the 2012 Hotel Pet Peeves Poll, which will be active through July 16, 2012. Many FlyerTalk members spend quite a bit of time on airplanes traveling all over the world — and any airline can potentially foster issues and situations which can drive you absolutely insane.

The primary purpose of this particular discussion is for you to opine, elaborate on your thoughts and relate your experiences as an airline passenger — most likely, more often than you would prefer.

Results of this poll will be announced both on-line in the magazine and here on FlyerTalk.

So — what are your “pet peeves”? Please vote today and let everyone know!

I will start...

I despise those sinks in the airplane lavatories found on Boeing 757 aircraft, as I cannot wash my hands without touching the rim of the sink unless I perform some unnatural acrobatic maneuvers — only to find that the compartment where the paper towels are typically located is empty when I attempt to dry my hands. I also do not like a wet lavatory floor, as I do not even want to think about what is that liquid.

Why do all of the in-flight magazines around my seat have all of the crossword puzzles either partially or completely filled?

I can be quite understanding of the misery of a child confined to a seat while in flight, but when the parent is apathetic of a screaming child and does little to attempt to calm that child down — especially on a long-haul flight — that shows no respect for either the child or fellow passengers who are trying to rest or sleep.

Why are some aircraft not equipped with air nozzles? I like to have air blowing on me when the air aboard the aircraft is stagnant and stale — or to help waft away the “silent but deadly” emission launched by a fellow passenger nearby.

I have others, but enough about me — what about you?
Your gripe is with people, not airlines who allow people.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Among many, but one not commonly mentioned is airlines/cabin crew who insist on blacking out the cabin (lights off, shades down) on day flights. We're not supposed to be sleeping, so why try and make us??
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Passengers that clap upon landing. Seriously, that is like clapping when the bus pulls in to the station.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by naeglerian
14. Cabin crew who are present primarily for my safety, and who subsequently ensure my safety by thumbing idly through inane periodicals while hiding in the galley
Why on earth should you concern yourself with the literary qualities of the cabin crew's reading matter?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:21 am

1. "direct" flights. this terminology is pure deception.

2. lack of enforcement of boarding rules (zones and privileges for elites). seriously, just program the BP scanners to reject anyone whose zone has not been called.

3. illuminated no-smoking signs. how long has it been since smoking was banned on US planes? knowing when we can use electronic devices is far more practical. thank you virgin america!

4. lack of power outlets. don't bother offering gogo or other in-flight internet unless you take care of in-seat power first. and make sure those power outlets work. my odds of getting a power outlet on a delta flight that advertises it are about 10%. my odds of that outlet actually working are about 25%. again, thank you virgin america!

5. "safety" directives that have nothing to do with safety. i honestly don't have a problem with the cell phone rule, which is based on the cell tower network and not on any interference with the plane.* but stop selling your ban on laptops in seatback pockets as a concern for them falling out, when the real point was to avoid the costs of replacing the pockets.

6. chatty FAs who make excessive frequent and long petty announcements that freeze my IFE while they rattle through the entire drink and snack menu, pause 2 seconds between each item, thank all of the airline's elite members, advertise the FF program, advertise the FF program's affinity credit card, name all of the crew, etc. maybe they could modify the PA system so that only critical announcements (e.g., safety instructions) interrupt the IFE.

7. when i fly up front, giving my coat back to me before we start the landing sequence. seriously, if you can take my coat while the plane is boarding, you can keep it in the closet until we're taxiing to the landing gate.

8. alphabet soup fare classes. there are only 3 variables that matter to a passenger: cabin (first, bus, or coach), refundable or not, and special seats (exit row or preferred seat, and advanced boarding on southwest). i should be able to look at my ticket and BP and know the answers to these questions instantly. don't make me dig through pages of fare rules to figure out whether my ticket is refundable, and don't lie to me about the first class ticket i purchased (ahem, delta's "a" fare).

*i know the cell phone rule is because the altitude makes your cell phone within "sight" of thousands of cell towers instead of the nearest 2-3. but perhaps the cell phone carriers can just impose an extra charge on anyone who stresses their system by using a phone on a plane.

Last edited by crabbing; Jul 3, 2012 at 7:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.