Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by SCWATS
I have given up on trying to understand people. I mean really, learn to acknowledge full responsibility for others selecting the wrong seat and then acting like its your fault because of course it is!

We've all forgotten a seat assignment or wanted to switch but it's ultimately our own fault - not the person who's assigned the seat we want
Ok I can understand that as the flight nears departure that someone thinks the seat will not be taken but when the occupant shows up its time to move. I never switch seats until I see/hear the door being closed. Too many times even at less than T5 a seatmate shows up.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:49 pm

When to insist on taking your assigned airline seat and when to let it slide

Recently I used my FF miles to fly DL from BOS to ATL. I selected a window seat near the front of the aircraft (let's say the seat was 8F). Even with early boarding someone was already in my seat -- in fact, the entire three seat row as occupied by two parents, 1 yr old baby lap child and a preschooler in a seat between the two parents.

I said as politely as possible that I believed the man was in my seat. He said something like, "Oh, we're trading, you can sit in my seat right there" -- he pointed to 7E, a middle seat. I was exhausted from a full day of work and racing to the airport I was counting on catching up on sleep in that window seat en route to ATL.

If he had refrained from sitting in that seat and/or asked nicely for me to trade of course I would have said yes but it didn't come off as a request, rather an assumption that his family had a right to sit together.

I confirmed out loud to him, "Okay, you are telling me that you are taking my WINDOW seat and that you are trading me a MIDDLE seat?" to try and make the point that he was asking me for a favor. He said something like, "Yes family has to sit together."

It was a full flight and there were no other seats. I reasoned that if I did demand that window seat I would be sitting next to one parent trying to corral two small children and subject myself to lots of angry glares from fellow passengers. Also this family seemed to be of the "flying once a year is a huge event" variety.

In this day and age of making front of the plane, and other window and aisle seats "premium" seats it can be difficult for a family to sit together anyway. I'm interested in others with similar experiences and also some advice on how to handle similar situations in the future.

Last edited by PookeyBos; Nov 1, 2012 at 12:49 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

That's a reasonably short flight, so I would probably have done what you did. I would have made it very clear to the dude who stole my seat that it was a favor, and that he shouldn't expect to get the favor from other people in the future.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

Tough. I agree if they had asked nicely you should accommodate But if they "tell" you I would have played hardball.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K

My invented excuse, if I ever get into that situation (again), is " sorry, I specifically chose an aisle seat because I have bladder control issues." If that's too humbling, tell him you paid for an aisle seat and if they want to reimburse you, you will happily take the middle seat.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zigzagg900
My invented excuse, if I ever get into that situation (again), is " sorry, I specifically chose an aisle seat because I have bladder control issues." If that's too humbling, tell him you paid for an aisle seat and if they want to reimburse you, you will happily take the middle seat.
Bladder control and window seat?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't make up silly excuses. When people take my seat, I always say no. When they ask, I consider it. BOS-ATL is an eternity in a middle seat.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:42 pm

Recent example: I was flying AA from SNA to DFW and a couple each with middle seats (one behind the other) asked everyone in a five row radius to switch seats so they could be together. It was super annoying and no one budged. Please, this couple looked to be in their 30s and they couldn't NOT sit next to each other for 3 hours? I don't think some of these once-in-a-blue moon travelers understand how seat assignments work and how us business travelers specifically select flights based on window/aisle seat availability.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:43 pm

Tough call.

You certainly have the right to your seat and nobody should try and force a trade making somebody sit in a middle seat. And under normal circumstances I would never agree to trade a window for a middle, even if asked nicely. You should calmly talk to the person, and then get an FA when necessary. Remain calm but firm.

However, in this case, sitting in 8F would probably mean sharing a row with one parent, one preschooler and a lap child. Taking the middle seat might be the better option, but you should certainly not feel obligated at all.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PookeyBos
Recently I used my FF miles to fly DL from BOS to ATL. I selected a window seat near the front of the aircraft (let's say the seat was 8F). Even with early boarding someone was already in my seat -- in fact, the entire three seat row as occupied by two parents, 1 yr old baby lap child and a preschooler in a seat between the two parents.

I said as politely as possible that I believed the man was in my seat. He said something like, "Oh, we're trading, you can sit in my seat right there" -- he pointed to 7E, a middle seat. I was exhausted from a full day of work and racing to the airport I was counting on catching up on sleep in that window seat en route to ATL.

If he had refrained from sitting in that seat and/or asked nicely for me to trade of course I would have said yes but it didn't come off as a request, rather an assumption that his family had a right to sit together.

I confirmed out loud to him, "Okay, you are telling me that you are taking my WINDOW seat and that you are trading me a MIDDLE seat?" to try and make the point that he was asking me for a favor. He said something like, "Yes family has to sit together."

It was a full flight and there were no other seats. I reasoned that if I did demand that window seat I would be sitting next to one parent trying to corral two small children and subject myself to lots of angry glares from fellow passengers. Also this family seemed to be of the "flying once a year is a huge event" variety.

In this day and age of making front of the plane, and other window and aisle seats "premium" seats it can be difficult for a family to sit together anyway. I'm interested in others with similar experiences and also some advice on how to handle similar situations in the future.
Was it in EC section? I think you should not have been forced to take a middle seat. I hope they realised that You did them a big favour. This is one argument for not allowing families with young children to board first. Not allowing them to board will cause delays. FA's should tae the lead here and announce during pre-boarding that people should sit in the seats assigned to them on their BP. They could even check BPs of early boarders under the pretext of helping them find their seat.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
That's a reasonably short flight, so I would probably have done what you did. I would have made it very clear to the dude who stole my seat that it was a favor, and that he shouldn't expect to get the favor from other people in the future.
BOS-ATL is not that short either.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:53 pm

Another factor was that the father only spoke broken English and the mother seemed not to understand English at all (their native language was neither of the two foreign ones that I know). So there was the likelihood that something would be lost in the translation, and perhaps even a cultural disconnect.

I think I might have unduly concerned with the "looking like a big jerk" factor if I went the route of insisting on sitting in my assigned seat.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
...subject myself to lots of angry glares from fellow passengers.
BFD.

If I have an assigned seat I am going to sit there. Unless someone asks me nicely to trade to a seat of equal convenience or the Captain (not the FA) tells me to move.

You're a better man than I, obviously.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
BFD.

If I have an assigned seat I am going to sit there. Unless someone asks me nicely to trade to a seat of equal convenience or the Captain (not the FA) tells me to move.

You're a better man than I, obviously.
Agreed. Someone already in my seat telling me I will just sit in their seat is a guaranteed way to have me say "Thank you, but no" and get the FA involved.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:42 pm

I think I might have unduly concerned with the "looking like a big jerk" factor if I went the route of insisting on sitting in my assigned seat.
I wouldn't worry about that. If I see someone who got their seat poached stand up for themselves and insist on their original seat assignment I cheer internally. Because it shouldn't be as easy as sitting in someone else's seat and telling them to move to a lesser seat.
altabello likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA,LH,LY,OK
Originally Posted by FearFree
Agreed. Someone already in my seat telling me I will just sit in their seat is a guaranteed way to have me say "Thank you, but no" and get the FA involved.
the problem is..that i think in a family situation the FA might try to convince you to switch with them (in a polite way)...and if you insist..you will be stuck with the angry parent next to you..and the kids. probably better just sitting in the middle seat.

and YES...it's not very to polite to take a seat that is not yours. it's not a bus...

Last edited by photographer2012; Nov 2, 2012 at 1:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.