Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
95% of the time people just accidently sat in the wrong seat.
4% of the time it's a couple or family that have a genuine reason to ask politely if you wouldn't mind swapping so they can sit next to their kids.
1% of the time you gotta tell some dill weed that you booked the seat you wanted and aren't willing to sit in the middle seat in the back of the plane just because they didn't feel like enduring that torture themselves.

Incidently this happened to me this morning, GA asked me as I was boarding if i was ok taking another window seat in the back of the plane so a little girl could ride with her mum. In the past strangers were nice enough to swap my girlfriend seats because she had never flown before and was pretty nervous. It was a slight inconvience but at the end of the day i still had a window seat where I could nap propped up on the window and maybe a little karma to help me out if I can ever talk my girl into another airplane ride.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by joeyrukkus
4% of the time it's a couple or family that have a genuine reason to ask politely if you wouldn't mind swapping so they can sit next to their kids.
1% of the time you gotta tell some dill weed that you booked the seat you wanted and aren't willing to sit in the middle seat in the back of the plane just because they didn't feel like enduring that torture themselves.
I agree.

Most cases I have encountered are genuine errors. On one occasion, I think one lady was just "trying her luck".

A gentle but firm " I think you must be in the wrong seat" is all that is needed.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:14 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
I normally jump up onto the nearest vacant seat, wave my platinum frequent flyer card in the air and loudly yell "Captain there's a kettle in my seat again!"
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
Originally Posted by specialeffects
Is it really such a big deal?
Yes it is! At 5'10 with a knee issue it is. Is it such a big deal to just sit in the assigned seat???
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
Originally Posted by EWRfflyer
Just suck it up. One day you will be traveling in FC with another and have split seats. Then you will want the switch.
And yeah, there's been more than once that I have had split seats in FC when traveling with my husband i e
San Diego to Maui, but I don't jump
in and try to snake someone's seat
That's just being obnoxious! Jmo!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
"Excuse me but I have x seat".

If they ask me to move to another seat I'll size it up and if it's not one I want I'll say "I'm sorry but I don't like x seat because of (reason)". I'm much more likely to switch if someone asks me instead of sits in my seat, that kind of assumptive behavior irks me.
I find that giving a reason just leads to an argument. Why you want the seat that you have reserved is none of their business.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by joeyrukkus

Incidently this happened to me this morning, GA asked me as I was boarding if i was ok taking another window seat in the back of the plane so a little girl could ride with her mum. In the past strangers were nice enough to swap my girlfriend seats because she had never flown before and was pretty nervous. It was a slight inconvience but at the end of the day i still had a window seat where I could nap propped up on the window and maybe a little karma to help me out if I can ever talk my girl into another airplane ride.
I disagree with your percentages, although as I write this I cringe at a time a few years ago when I had 3B and 3C on connections the same day and got the order reversed.

On my most recent case, I had the impression that the FA had encouraged a kettle family to settle into my very prime business class seat for a twelve hour TPAC. I had booked what would be regarded as the best seat on the plane, except for the cockpit. They moved when I made it clear that I intended to evict them regardless of any pleadings or reasoning why they wanted/needed my seat. There were lots of other configurations not involving my seat that would have enabled them to sit together and in fact, they had seats together but just wanted mine! From the timing, I assume they either were upgraded at the gate or were nonrevs.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by medic51vrf
I normally jump up onto the nearest vacant seat, wave my platinum frequent flyer card in the air and loudly yell "Captain there's a kettle in my seat again!"
^
Old Jun 26, 2012, 4:09 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, Velocity
I normally sit in the seat next to them and proceed to let out a monster burrito-powered rumbling fart. I mean a real doozy, if it doesn't rate on the richter scale and the plants in the terminal don't wilt, it wasn't big enough.

I then turn to them and say "If you can't handle an entire flight like that, you may want to return to your allocated seat."

100% success rate.

It'll probably even work against that guy a few months back who claimed not allowing the seat poacher to sit there was rude and selfish.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: UA
When flying from HKG to EWR in Feb., I boarded to find someone in my 35C seat. I said "I think you're in my seat. I have 35C." She said she has 35D. I pointed out where her seat was and she moved. The bonus was that 35 A and B remained empty. Three seats to stretch out.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If it happens to me, I recheck my boarding pass to ensure I haven't screwed up (which I have a few times) and then politely say something like "excuse me, I think that's my seat". In the unlikely event that it is contested by the seat occupant, I escalate to the nearest cabin crew member. Haven't got beyond that yet.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:33 am
Suspended

"maybe a little karma to help me out if I can ever talk my girl into another airplane ride."

The events are not linked, and karma is a superstitious concept that has no basis in fact. It is this kind of thinking that will allow you to be taken advantage of. Giving up a seat today has no influence on future seat issues on future flights.

Had I been in your situation, I would have made the GA ask anyone else in that back row to move up to your row so mom and kid could sit together in the back rather than be moved myself.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I generally assume there has been a genuine mistake - e.g. someone mistaking the seat numbers (they aren't always aligned well) or not understanding A is window, C is aisle etc. I simply say 'Oh hi, is this 4c'? Or something along those lines, as it gives the other person a chance to not look stupid (and, gives them a chance to not make you look stupid!) 'oh is it, oops, I thought it was 5c' or 'ah yup, I'm in 4b - I was just hoping no one was in c' or 'yup, I wanted to use the washroom when the aisle cleared so was just waiting for a chance' etc. before you accuse them of poaching a seat.

If it is like for like, and they are sitting there by accident (5c instead of 4c say) and are settled (stuff in seat back pouch etc) I will likely just switch. If they ask nicely if they can sit there because of a child, spouse etc. and the seat is a genuine like for like (ie not 30 rows back!) then I will probably switch. If they are in any way rude, or I am not willing to switch and they don't like the answer then I calmly ask the FA to assist.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:50 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by pinworm
"maybe a little karma to help me out if I can ever talk my girl into another airplane ride."

The events are not linked, and karma is a superstitious concept that has no basis in fact. It is this kind of thinking that will allow you to be taken advantage of. Giving up a seat today has no influence on future seat issues on future flights.

Had I been in your situation, I would have made the GA ask anyone else in that back row to move up to your row so mom and kid could sit together in the back rather than be moved myself.
Sure Karma may be a myth, and when a drink gets spilled on you it may not be Karma at work but it's likely if you try for a little Karma that drink won't get spilled on you.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
I have a confession to make. I poached a seat yesterday. And I did it in exactly the manner being discussed here - I just sat in the seat I wanted, rather than my assigned seat. When the rightful owner showed up, I showed him my boarding pass and hoped he would just take my seat instead. He didn't speak much English (if any), and he did, in fact, just accept my seat, so it all worked out.

Now, for the rest of the story...

I got a last minute undesired op-up that separated me from my traveling companion. I figured I would just take my original seat and offer the first class seat to whoever got my old seat.

As it turns out, the new occupant was a member of the Italian Olympic volleyball team. As I was explaining how he could have either his assigned seat or my spot in the front of the bus, he didn't understand a word, but could plainly see that the seat I was gesturing to would fit his 6'10" frame quite a bit better than where I was.

His teammates congratulated him on his luck. His coach went up front to (unsuccessfully) try to sell him on the concept that the coach should be the one in first class. Finally, I saw him enjoying free beers on multiple occasions. So, it really DID all work out.

---

I gotta say, though, if "rightful owner" had opened up with

Originally Posted by tbau
""Hey Stupid, beat it."
or

Originally Posted by pinworm
A curt "out" usually does it...Always claim what is rightfully yours. Never let anyone walk over you for their selfish benefit.
That free first class seat would be immediately off the table. I would have silently "slunk off" to my seat in the front of the bus, and let you have your precious coach seat. My interest in sitting with my companion would have been trumped by my need to make sure someone being a d!ck is not rewarded in any way. Belligerence is NOT always the best policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.