Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ATLdoc
This is a good example given of when it's totally justified to deny a family request to switch. I often submit consults to Sleep Medicine for patients with suspected Sleep Apnea. Definitely the FA could assist them with requests to others to swap.
This is OT but do you find that even now there is considerable ignorance among physicians regarding sleep disorders? There are some tell tale signs of sleep apnea that get ignored for years.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 3:12 pm

It depends. For short-hauls (< 2.5 hours), I am mostly cooperative when asked to
change.

Two weeks ago; LAX:KOA, not. A non-rev w/guest pre-boarded and took my
cherished bulkhead row. I was the first pax aboard and stunned to find our seats
occupied. I showed them my boarding pass and commented that it was a pretty ballsy
gambit for a non-rev. The FA was exceptionally apologetic for the next 5+ hours.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 1:18 pm

I'm 2/2 on people sitting in my crj200 seats the last couple weeks. I'm not necessarily getting downgraded and both times it was clear that the person made a mistake but it's a pain in the butt when you get on board and someone is in your seat. Then you look like a jerk while standing in the aisle waiting for the person to find their boarding pass. I just sit in their seat since they are all lousy seats anyways but maybe I'll have to switch my late boarding strategy just so I don't have to deal with that anymore.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:38 pm

I was that guy last night. I normally always pick aisle seats, but couldn't on this flight and was 4D. Boarded and without thinking I sat in 4C. The person who was supposed to have it, didn't say anything when he boarded as I stood up to let him into 4D. Didn't realize I was in the wrong seat until the FA asked me what I wanted to drink but addressed me as the other fella's name.

I felt like an a$$ and offered the seat back and apologized but he was okay with it. felt bad though.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:59 pm

Dranz- "The FA was exceptionally apologetic for the next 5+ hours."

How does someone go about being apologetic for 5+ hours? It sounds exhausting.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:41 pm

Was on a Lufthansa flight when a Mother and child was seated in my seat(bulkhead on the Airbus 380) and she asked if I could move to the middle seat which was not by the window. Luckily the friendly flight attendant told her off(the passenger was Indian BTW) said this is my seat and you need to return to your seat. After this ordeal the flight attendant asked what she could get for me and I said a drink would be great. So the Flight Attendant got me champagne from First Class with a smile and apology.

After this incident the Flight attendant was coming back to me to check on me and get me anything I needed. I could see she was trying her best to ignore the offending passenger who shared with her some unkind words.

What a win for me and a loss for the other passenger who thought she was entitled to my seat just because she had a kid. Guess who had the bad flight?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:13 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by danielonn
Was on a Lufthansa flight when a Mother and child was seated in my seat(bulkhead on the Airbus 380) and she asked if I could move to the middle seat which was not by the window. Luckily the friendly flight attendant told her off(the passenger was Indian BTW) said this is my seat and you need to return to your seat. After this ordeal the flight attendant asked what she could get for me and I said a drink would be great. So the Flight Attendant got me champagne from First Class with a smile and apology.
And their race matters, why, exactly?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I know, they left out all kinds of details. Were they the "Thank you come again" or the "Me smokem peace pipe" variant?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by danielonn

After this incident the Flight attendant was coming back to me to check on me and get me anything I needed. I could see she was trying her best to ignore the offending passenger who shared with her some unkind words.

What a win for me and a loss for the other passenger who thought she was entitled to my seat just because she had a kid. Guess who had the bad flight?
Originally Posted by CMK10
Because every time my seat was occupied by someone else when travelling in S and SE Asia in the last 40 yrs they were all from the same ethnic group with the same entitlement attitude.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by tentseller
Because every time my seat was occupied by someone else when travelling in S and SE Asia in the last 40 yrs they were all from the same ethnic group with the same entitlement attitude.
I've encountered that attitude too. I think it's a product of the caste system.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:32 am

We are a family of three, travelling with our son since he was an infant, always on his own ticket, never on a lap.

Just as someone mentioned, we plan ahead, pay for the tickets and cabin class we desire. I am in the ask nicely, no problem camp as long as it is an even exchange when it comes to switching but just camping in my seat really lights my fuse.

We have shuffled many a time in first when business associates asked to sit together, couples on honeymoons, elderly travellers, etc. because on most of our flights, changing seats in first doesn't really matter, we somehow end up with seats that work for all three of us. My only requirement is that I am next to or across the aisle from my child. This has never been a problem because really, who willingly wants to sit next to some strange child?

We did, however, have a strange encounter recently. A last minute change in equipment caused everyone's seat to shuffle. My son and I ended up across the aisle from each other (row 2) on a 757 or 767. My husband was back one row on the other side of the aisle. No big deal.

Upon boarding, there is a grown man (50yo I guess) sitting in my 5yo son's seat, his wife at the window. At first he tried to ignore me, then he attempted to brush it off as no big deal, just sit somewhere else attitude, then he started in on wanting to sit next to his wife. I did not waiver and kept repeating that it wasn't possible. I made it very clear that he was in my son's assigned seat and I was not moving my child away from me for his benefit.

I eventually raised my voice and he AND his wife scampered away to the last row. They somehow managed to shuffle around with other passengers and everyone was satisfied.

The thing is, my child would have been just fine sitting seperate from me but the guy's approach really rubbed me the wrong way.

This was a sold out flight and the FAs were practically shouting into the PA system that everyone had to take their assigned seats.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I go straight to an FA -- I don't want to argue with whoever is in my seat. It could be that the person there is very nice and made an honest mistake. Or perhaps it's my mistake or a computer error has us both in that seat. Another possibility that I've experienced too often is that this person will argue with me and maybe even get angry with me.

I avoid all of that simply by saying to an FA: "Pardon me, but there appears to be a mistake. Someone is in my seat; here is my boarding pass."
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
And that's all that needs to happen.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by sunnyjl
So I get to the airport at my usual time and find that security is a backed-up nightmare. Even with the priority lane, I am still running late. I get to my gate, and the gate agent makes a joke about how I am the last F passenger to board. No surprise there. When I get to my seat (on the aisle), there is a woman sitting there. I tell her "I'm here" pointing to my seat. Not moving, she replies "I have the aisle seat." She says so very matter-of-factly. "2D?" I ask, showing her my boarding pass. With that, she gets up, takes her bag from under the aisle seat in front of her, and mutters "B*tch!" under her breath.

Wow. Just for claiming my seat. Unbelievable. Not like I made a big deal out of it. I pick aisle seats for a specific reason.
I would've replied, very nicely and in my sweetest voice: "Describing yourself?"
Insulator-King likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:16 pm

Deleted

Last edited by FlyerTalkerUser101; Jan 22, 2023 at 6:58 pm Reason: Deleted Post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.