Search

First Class airline meals

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AA, DL, LH
First Class airline meals

Hello...

First, I hope that this is the correct forum...a newbie here who just found this totally fabulous site!!!

I was wondering if one were to fly First Class to Europe on say Lufthansa or United/AA/Delta, can they request no evening meal in advance? I ask this since most east bound trans-Atlantic flights leave in the early to late evening.

You see, as I get older, my digestion is slowing down as in if I eat a meal after 7:00PM, I can count on serious indigestion, causing sleep to be rough or impossible. On an upcoming trip to Europe in either late 2012 or early 2013, I am willing to try paying the serious $$$ for a First Class ticket to see if I could truly sleep on a plane (a short doze as been the best achieved to date) to see if the lie flat seat/beds would allow me to truly get off of a plane in Europe actually feeling like a human and not a zombie...however, eating the meal provided, no matter the quality, would defeat the purpose of the "experiment"...and waste a lot of shekels.

I guess that I could just go see a doctor about whatever is going on (aside from the simply getting older bit) but I would be curious to see if the First Class meal could be removed as the last thing I want is to deal with excessive medications...otherwise, eat the yucky coach class meal, get indigestion and sit up/doze all night in coach and still feel like a zombie when I arrive...

Many thanks!!!!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by txbimmerfan
Hello...

First, I hope that this is the correct forum...a newbie here who just found this totally fabulous site!!!

I was wondering if one were to fly First Class to Europe on say Lufthansa or United/AA/Delta, can they request no evening meal in advance? I ask this since most east bound trans-Atlantic flights leave in the early to late evening.

You see, as I get older, my digestion is slowing down as in if I eat a meal after 7:00PM, I can count on serious indigestion, causing sleep to be rough or impossible. On an upcoming trip to Europe in either late 2012 or early 2013, I am willing to try paying the serious $$$ for a First Class ticket to see if I could truly sleep on a plane (a short doze as been the best achieved to date) to see if the lie flat seat/beds would allow me to truly get off of a plane in Europe actually feeling like a human and not a zombie...however, eating the meal provided, no matter the quality, would defeat the purpose of the "experiment"...and waste a lot of shekels.

I guess that I could just go see a doctor about whatever is going on (aside from the simply getting older bit) but I would be curious to see if the First Class meal could be removed as the last thing I want is to deal with excessive medications...otherwise, eat the yucky coach class meal, get indigestion and sit up/doze all night in coach and still feel like a zombie when I arrive...

Many thanks!!!!
Hello txbimmerfan and a very hearty welcome to Flyertalk!

Firstly, no one will (or can) force you to eat on a commercial flight. It's your choice.

Secondly, why pay a first-class fare for "a good night's kip", as the British would say? If you want to sample a lie flat seat/bed while crossing the Atlantic, travel in business class. You will thus save a considerable sum by doing that. BTW international business class often exceeds domestic first class in comfort and "luxury".

Finally, please note that some "lie flat" seats/beds are flatter than others. KLM and Lufthansa's business class seats (for example) are angled, while British Airways' business class seats are indeed flat. Choose your destination and then choose your carrier, based on your personal criteria.

As for your desire to "allow me to truly get off of a plane in Europe actually feeling like a human and not a zombie..." some carriers offer their arriving first and business class passengers access to their arrival lounges (where available, of course) where you could freshen up and eat some breakfast.

Good luck and enjoy your flights. In fact, why don't you come back after your trip and tell us how you got on?

Last edited by 45128; Jun 16, 2012 at 12:50 am
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Wouldn't it be easier, once the stewardess pass around with the menu card, to say "no thanks, no food for me"? I hardly ever eat onboard aeroplanes, and I've yet to meet a cabin crew member who tried to force feed me. They'll be happy as Larry not having to serve you, as it reduces their workload.

In short, just say "no thanks" and you'll be fine.

As for choosing First in order to get a bed across the pond, that's a bit foolish. As another poster has mentioned you can get flatbeds in J on many airlines.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:06 am

I agree with the previous posters. Choosing first and then opting out of the food would be Texan-size foolish.

The BusinessFirst seats on Continental's 777 are excellent and in my experience lay fully flat and offer great privacy. The cabin is also very quiet (if no one decides to bring their baby). For the money saved you can have an early dinner in many a superior restaurant in Europe. The only problem with Continental is that they are now United and are going to hell in a handbasket quickly.

Truth be told, depending on price and mileage granted, I'd even check out getting three bulkhead seats to myself. You can lay down and you have almost your own little cabin. The food can easily be said "no thanks" to.

Till
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Depending on my schedule I have slept full flat upon hitting 10,000f and asked that I am not disturbed for maximizing TATL sleep until descend.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"The only problem with Continental is that they are now United and are going to hell in a handbasket quickly." biz class on ua 767 tatl was quite nice. beds were fully flat. only about 74"long. if that' going to hell in a handbag, i'll sign up.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:55 am

IMO, TATL Z fares are quite reasonable right now. I picked up one on Friday that wasn't a whole lot more than what I was going to have pay in economy.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
IMHO TATL business or first is too short to "experience" either the business or first class service on non-US carriers.

If I would be in the OP's shoes, I would buy a business class ticket on an airline that offers flat seats on business class on point to point route. I would skip the evening meal altogether and possibly even the breakfast.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by holtju2
IMHO TATL business or first is too short to "experience" either the business or first class service on non-US carriers.

If I would be in the OP's shoes, I would buy a business class ticket on an airline that offers flat seats on business class on point to point route. I would skip the evening meal altogether and possibly even the breakfast.
Seconded!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

last time i flew virgin out of iad, they offered meal service at the club(whatever they called it) could eat very early if one wished. then gave us sleep wear, and took us to the plane. they still do that?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:23 pm

When we last flew Virgin out of IAD they did serve a decent dinner in their lounge before we boarded. We were given our "sleep suits" on board. I highly recommend Virgin Atlantic!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I'm still a bit confused about the original topic - is the OP asking if he/she can refuse the First Class meal service - in advance, no less? Last time I checked, on most First Classes, even the lowly ones offered by U.S. carriers, you can pretty much do whatever you like regarding the meal. Eat - don't eat, it don't much matter. If the passengers don't eat it, the crew happily will.

Per chance, is the OP from a harshly autocratic country where the flight crew might force him/her to eat whatever's served? I can only imagine...

"What would you like for dinner tonight?"
"Oh nothing, thanks. I think I'll just try to get some sleep."
"I'm sorry, but regulations stipulate that you must eat. Now what'll it be?"
"Well, maybe just a salad, then..."
"I'm sorry, but you are required to eat a minimum of 1200 calories at each meal."
"B-but, I don't sleep well on a full stomach!"
"You really should try our Turkey Medallions with Valerian Root Sauce. They're loaded with tryptophan."
"Well, I..."
"And we'll start you out with a big tumbler of 18 year old Scotch, as well. You'll sleep like a baby!"
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Per chance, is the OP from a harshly autocratic country where the flight crew might force him/her to eat whatever's served? I can only imagine...
Perhaps this is the OP's airline of choice
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I just snorted my Diet Coke breakfast through my nose!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
Brilliant parody of First Class food service!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by txbimmerfan
Hello...
Just say "no" when the cabin crew bring round the menus or come to take your order or bring round the food. Nobody is forced to eat on an aeroplane, and there's no need to make any special arrangements to do this on booking or before the time.

As to sleeping on a plane, you might find that international business class is just as good for that as first class, depending on the airline. It's worth exploring the websites of the possible airlines and seeing what the business class seats/beds are like.

Where are you intending to travel from/to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.