Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

LA, San Fran, Vegas and NYC - your suggestions!

LA, San Fran, Vegas and NYC - your suggestions!

Old May 30, 2012, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Cool LA, San Fran, Vegas and NYC - your suggestions!

Hello people!

I'll be in these four cities in a month, travelling from Europe, first time in US. 2-3 days in each city, except 5 days in Las Vegas (business meeting). Any tips on what to see/do and especially EAT in all these places? I'm really really interested in trying food that just HAS to be eaten. I heard about NYC's pizza -- still not sure which one that is and the best place to get it in Manhattan.

That's not much time so I'll probably go for most popular things like Statue of Liberty, Disney Hall and Venice Beach, Golden Gate bridge, Belagio fountains, etc.

Also, there's probably won't be much to do for 5 days in Vegas, will there? I'm thinking of taking that one day bus tour to Grand Canyon (I think it's something like $100 with pickup from hotel), is that good? Anything else?

Thanks peoples! ^
Old May 30, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Pizza and bagels are musts in NYC. It'll be HOT and MUGGY in NYC, so dress ready for that.
I loved grabbing a bagel and the New York Times, a towel and heading to Central Park to people watch and lounge around. Ellis Island is a must do (same ferry as the Statue)

In LA, I personally think Venice Beach is a bit trashy but I guess for a tourist it is something to see. You don't need a lot of time, an hour is plenty IMHO.

Other things I like in LA are the Getty Center or Getty Villa (you could do the Villa and Venice Beach on the same day as they are just down PCH from each other). But you do need an appointment for the Villa (not the Getty Center though). Out by Pasadena is the Huntington Library and Gardens. Great botanical gardens that you can spend HOURS in. I also like hiking in Griffith Park - just be aware that if you go at dusk, while you can get great views of sunsets, there are also mountain lions.
I think the best thing about LA is being able to be outside year-round. The weather will be overcast at times due to "June Gloom" but it usually burns off and it worst at the beaches
Old May 30, 2012, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by NBThing
Hello people!

I'll be in these four cities in a month, travelling from Europe, first time in US. 2-3 days in each city, except 5 days in Las Vegas (business meeting). Any tips on what to see/do and especially EAT in all these places? I'm really really interested in trying food that just HAS to be eaten. I heard about NYC's pizza -- still not sure which one that is and the best place to get it in Manhattan.

That's not much time so I'll probably go for most popular things like Statue of Liberty, Disney Hall and Venice Beach, Golden Gate bridge, Belagio fountains, etc.

Also, there's probably won't be much to do for 5 days in Vegas, will there? I'm thinking of taking that one day bus tour to Grand Canyon (I think it's something like $100 with pickup from hotel), is that good? Anything else?

Thanks peoples! ^
Welcome to FT!

Since there are destination forums here on FT for each of your stops, you would probably be best off posting individual inquiries in each forum. And, of course, be sure to search the NYC forum for "pizza" before starting a new pizza thread there.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
When you're in Vegas, be sure to get off the strip one evening and head to 'downtown' Las Vegas (Fremont Street). I'm amazed how many Vegas "first timers" (or ten-timers) never get down to Fremont.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR3n98_UJA8

It's fun, legit & old-school.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
VEGAS? Yes to Grand .Canyon...Fair price. Google for comparison.

A show every night. see at least two Cirque du Soleil shows of the five. there are smaller shows at daytimes too.

look for discount tickets on websites.

NY Pizza. I judge by the crowds, but more by looks and smell !
Also look for hot chestnuts on streets. Google for street foods, mobile trucks !
Old May 31, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by NBThing
I heard about NYC's pizza -- still not sure which one that is and the best place to get it in Manhattan.
Please don't eat at any of the 2 slices and a drink for $5.00 place, or $1.00 a slice places. While you may find those slices ^, many of us here in New York would suggest otherwise.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
While in Vegas....

Hoover Dam - tour of the inside was pretty cool: http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/service/index.html. If you don't have transportation, there are companies that will take you there and back from your Vegas hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.