Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 23, 12, 7:29 pm   #1

Programs: UA 1K
Unhappy The next time you think about bare feet on an airplane...

I board ORD-MSN today on a CRJ700 (2C) and sit down, quickly all seats are filled in F besides 1C and 1D. After 5 minutes or so (still 20 mins before takeoff), a woman comes on with a small toddler and sits in 1D. She spreads her stuff everywhere (seat next to her, on the floor, etc.) and before she gets settled, says to her kid "we should change you before takeoff" She proceeds to plop her kid down on the floor (thankfully not the seat!) in front of 1C/1D and change his diaper

In the middle of this, Mr. 1C walks onto the plane and looks confused to see his seat and legroom taken up by a ton of stuff and a naked baby. The FA looks up to see why he isn't moving out of the doorway, then looks down at 1D. She is completely horrified. First she says to the woman in 1D "you'll need to move your things so this gentleman can take his seat" Mrs. 1D says something to the effect of "yes, but I'm busy now" FA, clearly choosing her words carefully, says "Couldn't you have used the restroom?" Mrs. 1D: "On this plane? I don't *think* so." (with an inflection seeming to suggest "it's too cramped and dirty. Why would I use a restroom when there's more space on the floor?"). FA is clearly still shocked and a bit disgusted, but doesn't want to say anything further, just occasionally throws wide-eyed looks over at Mrs. 1D.

I took the FA's comment to mean equally "Why couldn't you have used the restroom in the terminal before you got on the plane?" I guess the spectacle was mildly better than spending 40 minutes in a CRJ with a stinky diaper, but it was a bit bizarre and totally gross. Think about it the next time you want to put bare feet on a plane floor...
adstockton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 12, 7:38 pm   #2

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstockton View Post
I board ORD-MSN today on a CRJ700 (2C) and sit down, quickly all seats are filled in F besides 1C and 1D. After 5 minutes or so (still 20 mins before takeoff), a woman comes on with a small toddler and sits in 1D. She spreads her stuff everywhere (seat next to her, on the floor, etc.) and before she gets settled, says to her kid "we should change you before takeoff" She proceeds to plop her kid down on the floor (thankfully not the seat!) in front of 1C/1D and change his diaper

In the middle of this, Mr. 1C walks onto the plane and looks confused to see his seat and legroom taken up by a ton of stuff and a naked baby. The FA looks up to see why he isn't moving out of the doorway, then looks down at 1D. She is completely horrified. First she says to the woman in 1D "you'll need to move your things so this gentleman can take his seat" Mrs. 1D says something to the effect of "yes, but I'm busy now" FA, clearly choosing her words carefully, says "Couldn't you have used the restroom?" Mrs. 1D: "On this plane? I don't *think* so." (with an inflection seeming to suggest "it's too cramped and dirty. Why would I use a restroom when there's more space on the floor?"). FA is clearly still shocked and a bit disgusted, but doesn't want to say anything further, just occasionally throws wide-eyed looks over at Mrs. 1D.

I took the FA's comment to mean equally "Why couldn't you have used the restroom in the terminal before you got on the plane?" I guess the spectacle was mildly better than spending 40 minutes in a CRJ with a stinky diaper, but it was a bit bizarre and totally gross. Think about it the next time you want to put bare feet on a plane floor...
Yeah, I just don't get the "it's natural, what's your problem" thing that seems to have sprang up somewhere between the 1980's and now. My little brothers were born in the 1970's; Mom changed them in the car or the restroom when out and about. Fast-forward to me as an adult in the late 80's-early 90's when I started seeing moms just whip their kids' diapers off in planes/restaurants (ick infinity +1)/stores/doctors, dentists or hospital waiting rooms, you name it.

Yes it's natural; it is also totally disgusting and unsanitary. You might be completely focused on your kid but i am not. Some things WERE better in the 1960's and earlier- such as a little thing called MANNERS.
redwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 12, 7:42 pm   #3

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstockton View Post
Think about it the next time you want to put bare feet on a plane floor...
Hey, I've seen some gross bare feet up on the bulkhead wall not to mention bare feet on your arm rest in first class. Personal opinion is keep babies bottom off the floor and keep your shoes on if you don't have socks.
Doug 1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 12, 7:51 pm   #4

Programs: UA 1K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 1029 View Post
Hey, I've seen some gross bare feet up on the bulkhead wall not to mention bare feet on your arm rest in first class. Personal opinion is keep babies bottom off the floor and keep your shoes on if you don't have socks.
I am totally behind you on this one, I have never gone barefoot on an airplane and never will, I also think that's pretty gross. However, I thought this eclipsed it by far and it's one of the first things I thought of... the next person to put their feet down there will get more than they bargained for.
adstockton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 12, 8:11 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: I have elite status. Yaay for me.
Was the woman using a changing mat?
nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 12, 8:21 pm   #6

Programs: UA 1K - 2.7MM (bis)
Personally, I NEVER wear shoes in the lavatories as I don't want to get my shoes wet or dirty. I also feel that my bare feet need airing out, afterwards, while I'm resting in the UC. I feel it is my duty to join ALL the other slobs that put their feet on the tables, next to others snacks & drinks.
LilAbner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 12, 8:38 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP, SW Companion pass, SPG Platinum, MR Platinum
I would never imagine changing my son in the terminal, in a lounge, on the plane, in a seat, in the food court, or anywhere else except a bathroom. In my own home, yes, he gets changed on the changing table in the bedroom, but everywhere else, it's bathroom only (or car in a real pinch).

Doing otherwise is vile, and more importantly, incredibly rude. Even with a changing mat, there's just too much chance of feces getting...elsewhere.
dartagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 12, 8:47 pm   #8

Programs: CO, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Mint
You're a great parent and it is deeply appreciated after seeing a lady change her infant on the subway yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartagnan View Post
I would never imagine changing my son in the terminal, in a lounge, on the plane, in a seat, in the food court, or anywhere else except a bathroom. In my own home, yes, he gets changed on the changing table in the bedroom, but everywhere else, it's bathroom only (or car in a real pinch).

Doing otherwise is vile, and more importantly, incredibly rude. Even with a changing mat, there's just too much chance of feces getting...elsewhere.
armattheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 12, 6:38 am   #9

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
That is grim. Changing your child's diaper in public is a health hazard for other people (and smelly). I'll stay barefoot though, I don't think traces of fecal matter on the soles of my feet are going to kill me any time soon. (I don't put my feet up on seats/bulkheads; whether barefoot, shod or socked it is antisocial. I also don't wander round in socks, they pick up far more filth than feet. And my feet are generally not smelly, probably because I don't wear shoes unless I need to)
exilencfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 12, 6:40 am   #10

So gross! I had an EWR>SNA flight a while back and the couple in front of me changed their kid several times on the seat with no mat. Flight attendant didn't say a thing. Would have hated to be the 3rd person in that row...
lexi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 12, 2:11 pm   #11

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilAbner View Post
Personally, I NEVER wear shoes in the lavatories as I don't want to get my shoes wet or dirty. I also feel that my bare feet need airing out, afterwards, while I'm resting in the UC. I feel it is my duty to join ALL the other slobs that put their feet on the tables, next to others snacks & drinks.
if you are trolling I give you a 1/10 for it
Old Apr 25, 12, 2:03 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaPaul View Post
if you are trolling I give you a 1/10 for it
I believe he gets a 9/10 for joking.

As for the OP, ewwwwww. The "keep your kids out of first class" arguments on here drive me nuts, but it's passengers like this one that frustrate those of us who do try to show some courtesy when traveling with little people.

Changing your kid in the airplane lav is dirty and cramped, but it does need to be done sometimes. I simply can't imagine subjecting the rest of the plane to my kid's dirty diaper in the cabin.

Mike