Wiki Posts
Search

Spending too much time in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Spending too much time in the US?

Hi folks,

This'll be a long one, I apologise in advance!

I've just booked a trip from the UK (where I reside), to Chicago to hang out with a friend for a couple of weeks. Sounds fine so far, right?

The problem though, is that I've spent quite a bit of time in the US over the past couple of years. Three visits to some of my best friends in California spanning from November '15 - January '16, June '16 - August '16, and most recently February '17 - May '17. Each visit was roughly 60-75 days per trip. I should note that my last trip in February was only originally planned for 4 weeks, but I ended up extending it to May as I learned after I arrived that my friends were going to South Korea for a year (or possibly two) shortly after, and so I wanted to make the most of it given that it would be my last visit there for a very long time. I also extended a previous trip slightly due to falling ill a day before I was due to leave. Probably could've avoided extending that one, but I didn't want to travel home on such a long flight whilst sick.

My next trip is planned for next month. As noted above though, I am planning to visit a completely different State (and different friend) for a much shorter duration. My POE will actually be Dublin rather than Chicago, since Aer Lingus offered by far the cheapest flight option from my UK airport of choice. (Manchester)

I should note at this point that I have anxiety issues, so I worry over anything and everything. Stupidly enough, I did some research into my situation and found many horror stories where people got detained and refused entry for visiting too much, or staying too long per visit. Needless to say, I'm now very anxious!

At this point you're probably asking yourself, why am I actually booking this trip if it causes me anxiety like this? Well, I've been through a relatively stressful period as of late, with no time off work since May. I'm really wanting a getaway to unwind for a couple of weeks, so figured I'd visit one of my other best friends who lives in Illinois for a change. First time visiting Chicago too, so I'm excited to see what it's like.

In my favour, I do have a clean immigration & criminal record. I do have a job (although it's online.. which I've heard they aren't a fan of), I have a home that I'm renting out here in the UK to return to, and I have easily enough funds for my stay.

I apologise if this is the wrong type of forum to ask about this. I was just hoping for some opinions on my specific situation. I'm especially worried about the fact I extended my last visit and a prior visit too (for reasons explained above), and whether they'll now suspect me of doing it again and hassle me over it. Given that the last CBP officer grilled me (understandably so, given my prior lengthy visits) and demanded to see my return ticket, I'm thinking they recorded the date, and will now think that I'm deceiving them. My own fault, I know.

Would really appreciate some feedback and opinions on my travel plans next month. Obviously I know that only the CBP officer on the day will determine whether I pass through or not, but I'd still like to hear your opinions on whether or not I should be concerned, or whether I'm just worrying too much.

Does it seem like I'd be at high risk of facing hassle from CBP at the border given everything I've mentioned above? Or am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks in advance for anyone who took the time to read all of the above rambling, and sorry again for the lengthy post.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
It really depends. Some people do what you do all their life without an issue; others get bounced after a few times.

One thing the officer will look for is ties to the UK. Another thing is 'a residence abroad that the alien does not intend to abandon' which is mandatory for the VWP.

Also, be aware that a certain amount of time in the US fiscal year (6 months I think) can subject you to US tax residency and then you'd have to experience the IRS.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would come with a file which I would not under any circumstances volunteer, but make available as needed. Contents to include as much as possible demonstrating your ties to the UK and your intent to return to the UK.

Residence (long-term lease/ownership), job, people who can be contacted to verify, fact that you've always returned to the UK.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for the responses, I really appreciate your feedback.

Whilst I don't own any property in the UK, I am renting one out, and have the tenancy agreement documentation to prove it. I also have a long running record of always returning to the UK after visiting the US. (I've made several earlier and much shorter trips around 2010-2012) I will also have return tickets for both the flight in question, and for the train home in the UK. I should also note that I have never once overstayed, and I always spend more time out of the US than in it. (despite those recent lengthy visits, which I kinda regret now lol)

Regarding taking a file with me, I typically do for every visit just in case due to my habit of over-worrying! I've never needed it before in the past, other than showing my return ticket to the last officer I met. I'm hoping I won't need it this time either, but I will definitely make sure to prepare one. Thanks for the tip.

I really feel I should've waited until next year to visit again, but like I said.. I've been really real stressed/burnt-out as of late and really wanted a vacation, so I figured I'd go visit one of my other best US friends. The funny and ironic thing is, the thought of getting dragged off into secondary and possibly refused entry is causing me even more stress and anxiety than before I'd booked everything! lol

Sorry if it sounds like I'm worrying way too much. I really am trying to get myself excited over seeing Chicago next month, but the thought of being bounced by CBP is really getting to me. My own fault sadly for reading up on various CBP horror stories on the internet, heh.

Last edited by Xaithe; Oct 5, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
A strong compliance record (entering and then leaving again) will go in your favour. Aside from that, it seems you don't have particularly strong ties, but that's not necessarily a problem. I have friends who've backpacked around the world and gone through the US with nothing more than a few clothes.

I was once berated by CBSA at YYZ for the audacity of entering Canada while being unemployed. I was still cleared off the primary line though.

One thing that's in your favour is, if anything does go wrong in DUB, you're in Dublin, and not potentially overnighting in a jail cell. Pre-clearances are a godsend for those who may feel anxious about their immigration experiences.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Hi Skatering,

Thanks again for your further feedback. Yeah it's the lack of strong ties to the UK that worries me the most. Admittedly, this is how it's been on every single trip I've ever made, and I've been fine so far. I'm just more anxious now since I have a few lengthy visits under my belt, and I've heard that they don't like it when people have a history of lengthy visits in the past. I think the recent stress issues have also increased my anxiety levels as of late. That and as mentioned previously, stupidly reading up CBP horror stories.

So in total, what I do have is:
  • Strong evidence of funds to support myself during my short trip. (and more than enough funds in my bank to show that I was able to support myself during my previous lengthy trip too if needed)
  • Return tickets for both my flight and for the train home.
  • A strong compliance record from 8 previous visits over the past decade.
  • Hotel bookings, Amtrak train tickets to/from Chicago. (we're travelling around Illinois during my stay, and will have a list of places we're travelling to present to the officer if they request it)
  • Evidence of a rented apartment in the UK, and further evidence to show that I am actually living there.
  • Travel insurance documentation for the two weeks I'll be away. (not that this is evidence really.. but it's something I've got! lol)
  • A job to return to, although online.. so probably not really much help there sadly.

I hope this will be enough to satisfy the officer on the day. If I do get though hassle-free, I'll definitely be staying out of the US during 2018 so that I don't risk any further hassle.

As for DUB, that's good to hear. It's actually my first time flying through DUB, so I know very little about it.

Anyway apologies for rambling on! Thanks again for the feedback.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I personally think your worrying about it too much. In fact lots of visits often helps your credibility as it shows you've always been compliant in the past. If your visiting the US this often though, it might be worth applying for Global Entry to expedite your entry into the US.

You have more evidence than most people bring on their average trip to the US.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:21 am
RMO

Good Lord! Your post got me worrying. I've only been to the U.S. twice and for week long stays and I didn't take nearly as half the documents you are taking with you, except the hotel booking and the flight itinerary showing the outbound flight back home (which they didn't even ask me to produce). At the time I was a student and I lived with my parents. Maybe you're worrying too much? I'm visiting again next year and I understand that horror stories on the news (especially since the new administration took office) are really anxiety-inducing.

Last edited by RMO; Oct 10, 2017 at 7:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.