Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

ways to avoid catching colds while flying...?

Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

My husband caught a cold a day after flying last week, and he has 3 more RT flights planned in the next few weeks, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to avoid catching colds while flying.

This recent WSJ article has some recommendations:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...985863872.html

It suggests keeping nasal passages moist with a saline spray to counteract the low-humidity cabin environment. Do you have a recommendation for a nasal saline spray?

The article also suggests opening the air vent to direct airborne germs away from you.

I've already given my husband little Purell bottles and individually packaged Sani-Hands wipes (fragrance-free, alcohol-based hand sanitizer wipes).

I'm also looking into various supplements with some peer-reviewed evidence of efficacy (Cold-fX/American ginseng, Echinamide/echinacea, Kan Jang/andrographis, high-allicin garlic)...

I'd appreciate any advice you may have. thanks
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
The best defense is to begin with a well rested night before your flight. Then, my strategy is hand sanitizer and airborne for a boost. Take it easy on the alcohol in flight. YMMV, though, as I do not usually get sick while traveling.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
If the cold is caused by bacteria, not a virus, then you can help it go away with probiotics. They populate your colon with good bacteria that fights the bad stuff. When I fly, I take two or three, and then during the flight, I take one every hour. I haven't had a cold in years, but I also try to be mindful of putting my hands in my eyes or mouth. The probiotic I use is Culturelle, which, they say, is engineered to make it through your stomach acid into the colon. There are other brands on the market. The most it can do it give you a little gas if you're not used to it, but if you start taking it daily, it ceases to become a problem.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for that tip!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beethovengirl
It suggests keeping nasal passages moist with a saline spray to counteract the low-humidity cabin environment. Do you have a recommendation for a nasal saline spray?
They're all the same - saltwater is saltwater. Get the store brand, or whatever's cheapest.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
They're all the same - saltwater is saltwater. Get the store brand, or whatever's cheapest.
Well, I'm looking for something that won't drip - something that will stay in place rather than irrigate the nasal passages.

Also, I've seen some that don't list preservatives in their ingredient list (eek) and some with fragrance materials.

Since writing my original post, I did some googling, and I think I'm going to purchase the NeilMed Nasogel Drip-Free Spray:
http://www.amazon.com/NasoGel-Water-.../dp/B00167TZZ2

but I'm definitely open to other recommendations
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vaseline over the ends and just inside the nostrils helps me with dry air (and as an aside helps with hayfever!)
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Nanook
If the cold is caused by bacteria, not a virus, then you can help it go away with probiotics. They populate your colon with good bacteria that fights the bad stuff. When I fly, I take two or three, and then during the flight, I take one every hour. I haven't had a cold in years, but I also try to be mindful of putting my hands in my eyes or mouth. The probiotic I use is Culturelle, which, they say, is engineered to make it through your stomach acid into the colon. There are other brands on the market. The most it can do it give you a little gas if you're not used to it, but if you start taking it daily, it ceases to become a problem.
Colds are caused by a variety of viruses, not bacteria. Regardless, there is no conclusive evidence that probiotics affect ones immune system at all and claims to the contrary are banned in the United States and the European Union, among other places.

The only proven methods to prevent the spread of colds are frequent hand-washing and the use of face masks.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is the incidence of cold and other commutable disease higher on airline crew than on the general population? from casual observation, i do not see a bunch of sneezing and wheezing FA's, so i think this is a non-problem.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Face mask

If you can bear the strange looks a anti bacterial facemask works well easily purchased from most pharmacies.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Deep Sea, Ocean, store brand are all fine, and some come in travel size. They usually contain a preservative.
As mentioned one can't treat viral infections. But to prevent bacterial infections I've heard travelers putting a bit of triple antibiotic ointment in the nostrils. I usually wipe down tray tables and armrests. Seat back pockets and in-flight magazines harbor bacteria too, though many people don't think about those. Hydration is important. Happy travels.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: whatever it takes
..strengthen immune system beforehand...

Learning about alkaline vs acid states for our own bodies would be helpful.
And alkaline vs more acidic foods.

Also alkaline vs acid water. Alkaline water >7 pH. Read the labels on water bottles and learn the definitions for some water bottles do not list pH, but one can figure it out by looking at the label usually.

When we are born - 80%+ water...blood is 80% water.

But we are all living in a state of dehydration...a figure thrown around is adults are 2/3 - 66% water. That's quite a drop!

-- Don't wear sunglasses (Nor UV blocking contact lenses) either before hand, ever......we need the UV light to kills viruses and bacteria in our body...UV light healthy for us when we understand how it works. Don't believe the anti-UV hype...

Look up a product -- STERIPEN to see how it works in a consumer product.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:22 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
^

That's the most important thing. Anyone whom suffers from cold sores can tell you how important this is.

Many Virus are very easy to kill outside the body. Most perish with soap and water. However, once in the human body, only the immune system can deal with it. Having a strong immune system is the primary key in preventing or shortening colds.

Some claim that Zinc, Vitamin C, Echinacia, Vitamin D, L-Lysine, and a few other supplements and vitamins help the body develop and maintain a strong immune system. Most health experts will say that healthy eating, enough sleep and moderate regular exercise while controlling stress are probably the biggest aid in strengthening the immune system.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also alkaline vs acid water. Alkaline water >7 pH. Read the labels on water bottles and learn the definitions for some water bottles do not list pH, but one can figure it out by looking at the label usually.

But we are all living in a state of dehydration...a figure thrown around is adults are 2/3 - 66% water. That's quite a drop!

-- Don't wear sunglasses (Nor UV blocking contact lenses) either before hand, ever......we need the UV light to kills viruses and bacteria in our body...UV light healthy for us when we understand how it works. Don't believe the anti-UV hype...

Unless the cold virus is on the surface of your eye how can UV contacts / sunglasses possibly affect things?

Whilst UV can kill bacteria etc. it can only do so directly - ie your body cannot absorb the UV and use it to kill bacteria in your lungs for example. Acne, yes, it can work. Lung bacteria, nope.

On balance, the chances of you needing the UV to make direct contact with your eye to kill an eye bacteria are very small (and chances are a topical cream are going to be much better for you than staring at the sun, even then)- but the chances of your vision being damaged by strong UV is much much higher.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K

This is utter quackery

Any doctor would laugh at such ridiculous claims. I hope most readers here aren't stupid enough to buy into pseudoscience like this and I'm sorry you've fallen for modern snake-oil salesmen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.