Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel room upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Hotel room upgrades

From your experiences, what are your best recommendations on how to obtain an upgrade on hotel rooms at check-in?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Alba
From your experiences, what are your best recommendations on how to obtain an upgrade on hotel rooms at check-in?

Thanks in advance!
If Las Vegas, see the other Las Vegas hotel thread.

At other hotels, be an Elite.

Apart from that, be extremely nice at check-in, and don't expect much if a hotwire/priceline rate.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM

Thanks in advance!
Besides having status in the hotel's frequent stayer programs, the $20 trick is the best!

Hold a $20 bill in your hand and request an upgrade ... once upgrade is done ... give the $20 tip to the check-in agent.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
If Las Vegas, see the other Las Vegas hotel thread.

At other hotels, be an Elite.

Apart from that, be extremely nice at check-in, and don't expect much if a hotwire/priceline rate.
Thank you. Excuse my ignorance, what is "Elite"?

Originally Posted by dd1612
Besides having status in the hotel's frequent stayer programs, the $20 trick is the best!

Hold a $20 bill in your hand and request an upgrade ... once upgrade is done ... give the $20 tip to the check-in agent.
I like that, thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Book the kind of room you want and pay for it. ^
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by dd992emo
Book the kind of room you want and pay for it. ^
If that were the answer, FT wouldn't exist.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy
If that were the answer, FT wouldn't exist.
But at least you're "guaranteed" the room you want. Then, maybe an upgrade from there?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny 1
But at least you're "guaranteed" the room you want. Then, maybe an upgrade from there?
Of course, don't book a room that you'd consider unacceptable. But I'd modify the strategy to: "book the room you can tolerate, and maybe an upgrade from there." If everyone simply coughed up the money for suites / paid F/J tickets / whatever, there'd be little reason for this site to exist.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Thank you. Excuse my ignorance, what is "Elite"?

Here's a good overview of hotel elite status.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Elite level at a hotel chain is people who stay enough in a year for the hotel to recognize them as frequent travelers and grant them status. Each hotel has their own requirement to obtain status.

I would suggest staying at hotels that have a upgrade system in place, like the Nor1 System at many Hiltons. They sometimes offer you the ability to upgrade for a fee on a standby basis.

You can also call the hotel and ask if they have a upgrade policy, and if they can tell you how it works and about what it costs to see if it's worth it for you.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Of course, don't book a room that you'd consider unacceptable. But I'd modify the strategy to: "book the room you can tolerate, and maybe an upgrade from there." If everyone simply coughed up the money for suites / paid F/J tickets / whatever, there'd be little reason for this site to exist.
"Goy"??? Are you sure?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by dd992emo
"Goy"??? Are you sure?
The other part of my username explains the need for frugality
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
www.perfectescapes.com offer upgrades on availability at check in.. Kiwi Collection.. Visa Signature..

You can use a Virtuoso, Preferred Partner travel agent.. usually they represent higher end hotels, and negotiate rates quite well.. I've been successful at securing an upgrade when booking as opposed to check-in.. as well as additional inclusions such as amenities, free breakfast, etc..
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:20 am

You can write the hotel an e-mail in advance. For getting an idea you can read this blog post: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...room-upgrades/

It doesn't work always, but it's a good way when you don't have any status.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
OP do keep in mind that hotels are in business to make money and if it were common to get great room upgrades just by asking, they'd never sell any "fancy" rooms, which would reduce the amount of money they'd make.

Having elite/frequent guest status increases your chances of getting a treat in the form of a free upgrade but in the industry that's seen as a way to thank the guest for their business in hopes of generating more loyalty and revenue. If you've not demonstrated that you spend money at the hotel (or at least the brand), it's not really likely that they'll give you something better than what you paid for, just because you asked. After all, you'd not expect a restaurant to give you the $40 bottle of wine when you order the $20 bottle and ask nicely for the better vintage, unless you were a very frequent customer (and even then I wouldn't expect it.)

Which does not mean don't ask, but set your expectations accordingly. If it's a special occasion (honeymoon, anniversary, etc) and having a nicer room is key to your enjoyment, then book the nicer room and don't be disappointed. While the advice to email the hotel before your arrival is well-meaning, I find it sometimes more harmful than good, as it sets the general public's expectation that they can have that honeymoon suite just by asking, leading to some very disappointed guests when they are told No.

The advice about Virtuoso and Nor1 is good; read up on those. Amex Platinum can often give an upgrade benefit when booking your hotel through their travel site, as can some other credit card companies. But the $20 trick really only works in certain locations, Vegas being one, where it seems to be culturally acceptable; in many other cities, handing the desk agent a $20 at check-in will get you two fives and a ten in return, which you can count once you get to your booked standard room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.