Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping housekeeping.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
At some hotels there is, complete with a little envelope with the maids name on it that says your tip is appreciated.

Though I don't know if that would be considered off topic as there was no request solicited for hotels where the maids leave tip envelopes.
Ha ha. I wouldn't neither care whether it is OT, nor is a hotel is a memner of FT, So you cam make personal rem,arks about a hotel. I like your sense of humor even though there is no parallel there.

Now back on topic. A hotel soliciting tips is in poor taste. That ust proves my point that I had tried to make. Employers are trying to shift the cost on to others.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Yaatri
What's an acceptable tip? US$5 per night? If I tipped every one whom people say you are supposed to tip, I would starve on per diem one company paid me. I don't know how they got away with it at US$60 per day (meals and incidentals) for London. Breakfast was 30 pounds in the hotel.
I try and tip $20 every 4 days at a hotel that doesn't charge resort fees.. makes it looks substantial..
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by Markslt
I consider housekeepers to be the hardest working and often times lowest paid workers in the entire industry. If I find my room in tip-top shape, I always leave two dollars on the bed. I often find extra amenities, a thank you, a verbal thank you in the hallway when returning to my room, some gesture of appreciation. I don't see that most places I tip a couple of dollars.

Yes, it's their job. But it's a hard, dirty job, and I wouldn't want it. If you tip a waiter for bringing your food, you could share a couple of bucks with the person that makes the bed you sleep in. Seems fair and logical to me.
I agree wholeheartedly with your post. We tip between $2 and $5 a day, leaving the bills out for housekeeping with a Thank You note attached each day. Bolding above mine.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
What makes hotel housekeepers special that they deserve a tip? I don't tip the grocery store checker or bagger, the workers at In-n-out Burger, the workers at the movie theater, the donut shop workers, gas station workers, the mailman, the electricity meter reader, or the librarian.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
What makes hotel housekeepers special that they deserve a tip? I don't tip the grocery store checker or bagger, the workers at In-n-out Burger, the workers at the movie theater, the donut shop workers, gas station workers, the mailman, the electricity meter reader, or the librarian.
I believe tipping is all about making the tipper feel better about themselves, often regardless of the quality of service provided.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by planemechanic
I believe tipping is all about making the tipper feel better about themselves, often regardless of the quality of service provided.
That's what was going through my mind as I opened this thread now. I doubt that's the case with every one though. There is nothing wrong with generosity.

I am curious about one thing though. My question is addressed to those who tip. Do those who tip think those who don't tip are stingy, exploiting housekeeper by not paying them for their hard work? Obviously they think it's wrong not to tip.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Nail. Head.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I consider myself to be a good and frequent tipper but I've never tipped the housekeepers.
The irony.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
I've stopped tipping ever since a few of my good friends that are directors at large hotel chains told me to not tip them.

I did notice that while I was staying at Disney, my friend tipped housekeeping every day (just like $5 per day) and got her towels (+ extra towels) shaped into animals -- and it was impressive! It would've taken me at least a few hours for me to do anything remote like that (I had no idea you could make Mickey Mouse out of towels).
Worst example and advice ever. What if your friends were the help, what do you think they would have advised? Common sense and kindness goes a long way. I always leave something for the cleaners and adjust my tip based on my messiness. I always try to think if it was me cleaning the rooms and how happy i would be if some people remember that i exist also!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I find this thread fascinating. Do the folks who refuse to tip housekeepers also refuse to tip bellmen and doormen? I often see folks in hotels tipping for these services and have wondered if it was because the guest was visible as opposed to the housekeeping staff who rarely have any interaction with the guest. @:-)
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I find this thread fascinating. Do the folks who refuse to tip housekeepers also refuse to tip bellmen and doormen? I often see folks in hotels tipping for these services and have wondered if it was because the guest was visible as opposed to the housekeeping staff who rarely have any interaction with the guest. @:-)
Actually, the whole concept of tipping seems arbitrary to me. Who do you tip? It's really convention and popular culture telling you who to tip. I do tip, but I'm just saying it's not with reason that I do; I just follow the herd.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
$1/day

I usually leave $1/day. The maids always leave me extra "stuff" in the bathroom with that amount of tipping. If people are leaving $5/day, I must be really undertipping. I know that there are people who leave $0/day.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by obscure2k
One place I simply don't tip is when I want a taxi at a hotel and someone "has"to hail it for me. There's simply no value add there -- it's a person stuck in the middle of the process to create a job and do a task I would be happy to do myself.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ DM+, CX DM, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Good point. Has anyone ever thought about tipping the people who take away your trash every week? That's probably one of the hardest, dirtiest jobs around. I don't think housekeepers deserve any special treatment just because of the job they do.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
while you didn't ask

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Yes, of course, that's a the obvious solution. One can skip breakfast too. Or not eat any meals. That was not the point though.
The Federal Govt per diem rate for London was more than double that amount. There is a reason why those rates are published so that people don't have to slum.
That's why I am surprised at how they got away with it. I am sure you know London is not cheap. But all of this is OT anyway.

That's a really weird response. I did not solicit opinions on what I should have been managing my meals.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that if you are complaining about how poor your per diem is, one solution is to manage your per diem bertter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.