Reload this Page >

Tipping housekeeping.

Tipping housekeeping.

Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by zcat18
[rant]

This may sound harsh, but the tipping culture in this country has gotten woefully out of hand. I understand that some of these professions are criminally low paying and that bartenders' and servers' salaries are designed to rely on tips. However...

Servers at even low-end restaurants demand at least 20% for the bare minimum of service.

Cab drivers--who tend to be serial ripoff artists in the first place--openly sneer at a $2 tip on a $6 fare.

Horror stories are floating around about skycaps putting garbage in people's luggage if they don't tip over $5 (personally, I'll never use a skycap).

The sense of entitlement among some service personnel has become extremely disproportionate to the value of the service that they provide. A line has to be drawn, and housekeeping is where I draw it.

[/rant]
I see this when I go to a bar.

I order a beer. It's tapped, it costs $4. I give a $10 and get 6 $1 bills back. Really? I'm being encouraged to tip more than $1 on a poured tap beer?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, Best Western, Hawaiian Air
Housekeeping

I consider housekeepers to be the hardest working and often times lowest paid workers in the entire industry. If I find my room in tip-top shape, I always leave two dollars on the bed. I often find extra amenities, a thank you, a verbal thank you in the hallway when returning to my room, some gesture of appreciation. I don't see that most places I tip a couple of dollars.

Yes, it's their job. But it's a hard, dirty job, and I wouldn't want it. If you tip a waiter for bringing your food, you could share a couple of bucks with the person that makes the bed you sleep in. Seems fair and logical to me.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by squeakr
I can find the housekeeper who is actually cleaning my room. Easier than it sounds. And I tip at the beginning of a stay and ALWAYS get extra towels, soaps, extra clean bathroom, water etc etc.
+1

Most of my business travel is longer term (6 - 15 days). IF I can see that I am getting the same housekeeper or if there are only 2 housekeepers, I tip (and well).

I get the same results as squeaker, without exception.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I see this when I go to a bar.

I order a beer. It's tapped, it costs $4. I give a $10 and get 6 $1 bills back. Really? I'm being encouraged to tip more than $1 on a poured tap beer?
Yep. It's absurd. And I have two or three close friends (including one standing up in my wedding) who are bartenders/servers and routinely complain if a customer leaves a tip below 20%. Have even heard them bashing customers for leaving 18%. However, most only expect $1 per drink if you're at the bar only and paying cash drink-by-drink. On a tab...that's a different story, strangely.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zcat18
Yep. It's absurd. And I have two or three close friends (including one standing up in my wedding) who are bartenders/servers and routinely complain if a customer leaves a tip below 20%. Have even heard them bashing customers for leaving 18%. However, most only expect $1 per drink if you're at the bar only and paying cash drink-by-drink. On a tab...that's a different story, strangely.
$1 per drink is absurd if they're just tapping me a beer. My goodness, let me tap beers for $1 apiece. In some of those places, I could make hundreds an hour at that rate.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:23 pm

A lot of cheap, stingy, mean people in this thread.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jesperss
As opposed to people who are much too easily willing to part with their hard earned money?

Also, name calling is a violation of the TOS, is it not?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Jesperss
A fool and his money are easily parted, as they say.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I consider myself to be a good and frequent tipper but I've never tipped the housekeepers. A big part of this is that the vast majority of my stays are one night stays and I never feel like I reap the benefits of housekeeping I'd guess. Otherwise, it never struck me as something necessary.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
I consider myself to be a good and frequent tipper but I've never tipped the housekeepers. A big part of this is that the vast majority of my stays are one night stays and I never feel like I reap the benefits of housekeeping I'd guess. Otherwise, it never struck me as something necessary.
One night stays are not long enough to give generous tip to the housekeeper unless your name is Strauss-Kahn.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichMSN
As opposed to people who are much too easily willing to part with their hard earned money?

Also, name calling is a violation of the TOS, is it not?
I am with you on this.
for name calling. Leaving a tip is personal business. If we were responsible for paying their salary, it would have been illegal to not tip. It's employer's responsibility to pay his/her employee and the employees should expect to paid by their employer not hope for a handout from customers. How is that for a perspective?

Many employers try to shift the fiscal responsibilityfor their workers on to their customers or the workers themselves. It was in that context I had mentioned that my company paid me only $60 per diem for meals and incidentals in London while the Govt rates were $160 plus. I also said something about the break fast being 30 pounds. Some one suggested that I should have looked for cheaper breakfast and another gave thumbs up.

Unfortunately contrary to mis-perception of some, tipping does not make one superior or holier, or compassionate, nor not tipping inferior, or compassionless. .

So what if I don;t get towels turned into animals or extra amenities. Do I need that? If folding a towel into an animals is hotel policy, why aren;t they doing it for every one. If it's not, I don't consider that "service" worthwhile to pay for it. Buying and selling is voluntary. If I needed extra amenties, I would go and buy some, I already by stuff from a convenience store instead of agreeing to being gauged by the minibar.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by Markslt
I consider housekeepers to be the hardest working and often times lowest paid workers in the entire industry. If I find my room in tip-top shape, I always leave two dollars on the bed. I often find extra amenities, a thank you, a verbal thank you in the hallway when returning to my room, some gesture of appreciation. I don't see that most places I tip a couple of dollars.

Yes, it's their job. But it's a hard, dirty job, and I wouldn't want it. If you tip a waiter for bringing your food, you could share a couple of bucks with the person that makes the bed you sleep in. Seems fair and logical to me.
I do a couple dollars a day as well and have had the same, notes of thank you, some gesture of appreciation. They have a hard job, so many demanding crabby people they have to deal with.....
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
My stays are usually M-Thurs or Fri and I leave the DND on the door. On check out day I'll leave $3-$5. If I stay longer and need service I'll leave $2 each day and the $3-$5 at check out. More if I leave a mess.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So that;s it. Messy people tip house keeping and people who tip housekeeping are messy., It's nso obvious. @:-)
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Yaatri
The impression I got from the thread about no housekeeping over X-mas was that the percentage of tippers and expectation would be higher. It seems that there is expectation of a tip too.

At some hotels there is, complete with a little envelope with the maids name on it that says your tip is appreciated.

Though I don't know if that would be considered off topic as there was no request solicited for hotels where the maids leave tip envelopes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.