Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do celebrities and other wealthy people usually fly commercial?

Do celebrities and other wealthy people usually fly commercial?

Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingdervish
Do celebrities and other wealthy people usually fly commercial??
ignoring the problems with this question, yes. there are only so many aircraft available for general aviation.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:03 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Jim Moran (just the rights to the SE US), but he's dead - so no private jet rides for him...but apparently his former yacht Gallant Lady is up for sale yet again. I would prefer to travel by yacht if I had the choice and didn't need to be somewhere right away.

Now that's the right way to travel.
I had no idea he passed. Well, he had a nice life! Hopefully, anyway. When you passed his house on the tour, they always touted that he had "entire US rights to the import". Well, I'd survive on just the Southest! Assuming Jim Moran is the guy. I can't remember. ^ Since you live near where he lived, assume that's the dude.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Personally, until I make Arab Sheik $$$ and can buy my own loaded 747, I enjoy flying private for flights under 5 hours. Anything over that and give me first class commercial on a wide body anyday.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Some notes

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Then you have another class of rich, who own jets because they travel often to their many mansions/estates and to visit their philanthropic interests. One example is Gordon and Ann Getty, who own their own BBJ which is modified to be able to fly TATL.
Private planes are more dangerous than commercial jet liners, and there have been many rich people who have died in these private planes:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-02-0...s-radar-screen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_T._Walton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Denver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F....r._plane_crash

I was once offered to fly in a private jet, and I flat out refused. I went through the hassle of security and lines at the airport so I could fly commercial. Much safer in my book.

Originally Posted by CBear
He has a net worth of about $50 million
These high-end celebrities make more than $50million a year!

I don't think that's appropriate (or asked for) in Travelbuzz.
Agree with you 100%. OMNI PR is just a click away.

Originally Posted by heraclitus
That a guy who could buy a private jet with the change in his pocket decided to fly AC Y was almost unbelievable.
Agree. I saw a guy who was "only" making around $350,000/year who wanted to charter a private jet. I thought he needed a reality check.

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
A consultant might be wealthy in relative terms, but grossing around $400,000 does not make you wealthy, just well off.
Agree. In San Francisco, $400,000/year with two kids in private school and a mortgage on a 3 or 4BR house makes you middle class at best. In Manhattan, it makes you barely getting by. Renting a private jet on a $400,000/year income would not even be on the radar in such cities (unless you are a spendthrift).

Last edited by SFflyer123; Jan 7, 2012 at 5:47 pm
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Agree. I saw a guy who was "only" making around $350,000/year who wanted to charter a private jet. I thought he needed a reality check.
Having once booked (for a customer) an inter-island Hawaii private jet (for a golf game) for $8000, I believe it. I've quoted much higher fares (as high as $80k) for a single jet trip, but never managed to book one.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
Absolutely.

Let's say I'm Les Wexner (might as well dream big). I have an estate in Columbus, Ohio where I am a big fish in a little pond. Me and my executives oversee "The Limited Brands" and enjoy watching Victoria's Secret models prance around.
Somehow I cannot imagine Leslie Wexner ogling Victoria Secret models.

;-)

Just read on in the thread and have to give first credit to Bocastephen for catching this.

Last edited by fastflyer; Jan 7, 2012 at 6:24 pm Reason: explained in text
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Yup.

My husband's commercial landlord, although a big fish in a small pond and nowhere close to the real money guys, but still worth A LOT, is an unobtrusive 70 year old guy that drives a ten year old dented pick up. I worked at a diner that he frequents every morning, have a half a cup of oatmeal and sits and bs with all the old farts. He has a net worth of about $50 million and we saw him grading a gravel road in front of his shop on CHRISTMAS DAY.

And we all know the DYKWIA types who pretend to be filthy rich but are up to their eyeballs in debt to maintain their lifestyles.

On topic, my parents sat next to Congressman Don Young while flying back from our naturalization ceremony. One class cabin. He didn't get the exit row, because my husband and I snagged it.
lots of people just can't get used to new lifestyles, no matter how much their money lets them buy. As bill gates once said, "it's still the same hamburger after a certain point." Some of my friends are really poor and starving and all they dream about is buying a quarter million audi/lamborgini/mercedes car whereas all I really care for is a pickup Ford F350 or something like that for rugged outdoor use combined with a small car for everyday use. No sense in buying a car that you'd be too afraid to take anywhere for fear of damaging it!

Just like they lust after a rolex watch whereas I absolutely refuse to buy a watch of any kind because I simply hate wearing watches period. I know plenty of rich people who just don't see the point in extravagances.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k
A friend who works for GE Capital once told me "There's no faster way to go bankrupt than owning a private jet", and notes some sports stars and celebrities became bankrupt because of their jet.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by frankmu
A friend who works for GE Capital once told me "There's no faster way to go bankrupt than owning a private jet", and notes some sports stars and celebrities became bankrupt because of their jet.
Words of wisdom.. crushing blow of debt can bring even superstars to their knees..
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:00 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Somehow I cannot imagine Leslie Wexner ogling Victoria Secret models.

;-)

Just read on in the thread and have to give first credit to Bocastephen for catching this.
You're right. He's usually ogling his buddy, AAAHHHNOLD.

Yea, even I didn't know the dude. But my bocasteve sure did. Good one.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:05 am

...lots of people just can't get used to new lifestyles, no matter how much their money lets them buy..
Yeppur indeed.

What was that line from the "Beverly Hilbillies" years ago?

Something like....Granny Clampett was making her own soap. Ellie Mae said "Granny, Uncle Jed's got millions and millions of dollars. Why are you still making our soap?"
Granny says, "Just how long do you think that money is going to last if we start buying soap?"
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really?

I don't think that's appropriate (or asked for) in Travelbuzz.
please explain. the title was celeberties. does one have to take their clothes off or appear on no-brain commercial tv or up for hard time to become a celebrity? if the person were those two from london that just got married, would you consider them celeberties? what about that french guy that got busted in the nyc hotel?

i did not make a political statement.

Last edited by slawecki; Jan 8, 2012 at 7:10 am
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
please explain. the title was celeberties. does one have to take their clothes off or appear on no-brain commercial tv or up for hard time to become a celebrity? if the person were those two from london that just got married, would you consider them celeberties? what about that french guy that got busted in the nyc hotel?

i did not make a political statement.
I think other members questioned your statement in which left-wingers were at greater risk of being attacked by right-wingers than the other way around.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by frankmu
Maybe they could buy a race horse too and they would go belly up even faster
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:54 am

Yea, that would do it! Race horses are big bucks indeed.

Better yet, buy an airline. That way, you're sure to drain millions.
And FAST!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.