Wiki Posts
Search

Most miles flown at once?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Most miles flown at once?

Toying about with the idea of another mega-mile/mattress run this month. Mostly spending days flying back and forth across the country.

Got me thinking - what is the most miles you have ever done in one trip - i.e. between leaving and returning home. Not necessarily the longest flight you have taken, and you can spend time in various cities you have landed at, but have not yet been home.

Personally, my maximum is 2 round trips back and forth between RDU and the west coast, plus RDU to Boston and back.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Fra-dfw-las-lax-bos-lax-bos-lax-bos-lax-bos-lax-ord-fra
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
dfw-lax-cook islands-tahiti-niui?-apia-tonga-mel-akl-lax-dfw.....iirc
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Randy Petersen once did:

DEN-PIT-LGA-GSP-CLT-JAX-CLT-ATL-PIT-PHX-PIT-SDF-PIT-DTW-PIT-SFO-PHL-MKE-PIT-DFW-CLT-MSY-CLT-CMH-PIT-PVD-EWR-BWI-CRW-CLT-JAN-CLT-RIC-PHL-LGW-PHL-MSP-CLT-ORD-PIT-BTV-BOS-LGA-PWM-PIT-SEA-PIT-BDL-PIT-OMA-MCI-FOE-MCI-CID-PIT-DCA-LGA-NAS-CLT-LAS-CLT-BHM-PIT-MHT-PIT-LIT-BNA-IND-YYZ-PIT-LAX

According to Randy (from MP):
Flown from Oct. 19 - Nov. 2 (14 days) continuously. 44 cities, 38 states and three countries. BIS miles flown: 52,495. Total airplane flight time: 180 hours. 5 nights sleeping on planes, the other few nightly hours at Holiday Inns located at airports. So, i do know something about mileage runs!!!!

Any questions? Total miles earned with all the bonuses ... well over 100K.
My longest is probably ATL-ORD-LAX-PPT-MOZ-BOB-PPT-LAX-SFO-ORD-ATL or ORD-NRT-ICN-NRT-ORD. Nothing too crazy.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Nov 30, 2011 at 12:53 pm
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
PHX-ORD-LHR-JFK-SFO-LAX-IAD-FRA-LHR-SFO-LAX-PHX running from a Friday afternoon to a Monday evening back in 2004, all on UA save one LH segment. I only spent one night at a hotel, maybe seven hours or so between SFO-LAX and LAX-IAD. It was crazy especially as save one op-up (LHR-JFK) and one domestic upgrade (LAX-IAD) it was all in Y. Back from January-April, 2004 I did a MR almost every weekend and by the end of it, I had frequent nosebleeds from the constant altitude changes. But those were my younger days.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
For my honeymoon we decided to visit the South Pacific. We did:
IAH-HNL-LIH-HNL-PPT-MOZ-BOB-PPT-HNL-IAH.

It was a lot of plane hopping but well worth it
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
A selection of some of my "long" trips. There may be others longer which I didn't write up. I have many in the 30-40k range - a basic trip to Europe usually covers this much.

46,381 miles for double inaugural world's longest flight + 7 crazy days

52,480 miles for 3 dos in a row (subset of trip report)

47,338 miles for 5 continent around the world (subset of trip report)

65,676 miles for another 5 continent around the world (subset of trip report)

61,884 miles for 1st part of it's a fine line between pleasure and pain, followed a day later by ...

... 66,240 miles for 2nd part of it's a fine line between pleasure and pain, ...

... and shortly followed by 15,368 miles.

46,679 miles around the world (subset of trip report)

55,820 miles oneworld around the world (subset of trip report)

54,676 miles feast of first class flying (subset of trip report)

my current trip report (in progress) will also be longish
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
To attend Oz Fest #8 in DRW we flew SEA-YVR-LHR-LAX-SYD-DRW-SYD-SFO-LHR-YVR-SEA. We were on the ground for several days in DRW enjoying the DO, and overnighted in SYD and LHR in each direction for a leisurely 16 days so it wasn't close to a classic MR but still plenty of flying for a couple of geezers at just over 39,000 EQM.

We enjoyed it so much that we're flying about the same routing to attend Oz Fest #9 in Canberra in 2012.

Last edited by Fredd; Dec 28, 2011 at 4:51 pm
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Good Lord. I thought I was pushing the boat out with 27,535 flying

LHR-LAX-AKL-CHC-AKL-SYD-AKL-LAX-LHR

but some people are way ahead of me!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:42 pm

I wonder how much it cost?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
man-dxb-kwi-dxb-mel-akl-syd-avv-syd-dxb-man

26735 mi in 11 days
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
One of my favorite TRs in that forum ... by Macabus -- Around the World in 50 Hours in F - Twice in One Week

PHX-SFO-NRT-FRA-MAD-SCL-EZE-LHR-NRT-ORD-PHX .. about 40K.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Back in 1980, I took advantage of Eastern Airlines' Unlimited Mileage Fare and over a three week period flew 105 flights a total of 104,220 miles.

Some of you might also remember a trip report I wrote back in 2004 titled
On The Road Again - 108,000 Miles Around America on Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Or this trip from the year before:

ON THE ROAD AGAIN ~ 106,000 miles via plane, train, boat, bus, truck and thumb

My 6 Trains on 6 Continents trip totalled out at 82710 air miles, not including train and bus travel.

Finally, my 2004 spring trip that was written about in these four trip reports covered 84090 air miles.

Fairbanks to Kalgoorlie ~ The Long Way
Tasmania to South Africa ~ In A Roundabout Way
Riding The Desert Express ~ Luxury Train Travel Across Namibia
Namibia to Nevada ~ The Long Way

Most of my mileage runs are in the 50-60000 mile range...

Dear Diary: Random Thoughts & Observations From Three Weeks of Flying Around America
Tales From The Troposphere

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 28, 2011 at 9:38 pm
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:18 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Some of my longest trips:
aus-dfw-lga,jfk-scl-lax-jfk-syd-cns-syd-hba-mel-hnl-ogg-dfw-aus : 37k

aus-dfw-lax-akl,rot-chc-zqn,chc-syd-sin-cmb-sin-hkg-nrt-hkg-lhr-acc-lhr-dxb-cai-lhr-ord-aus : 46k

Lots of trips are in the ~20-25k range.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Toying about with the idea of another mega-mile/mattress run this month. Mostly spending days flying back and forth across the country.

Got me thinking - what is the most miles you have ever done in one trip - i.e. between leaving and returning home. Not necessarily the longest flight you have taken, and you can spend time in various cities you have landed at, but have not yet been home.

Personally, my maximum is 2 round trips back and forth between RDU and the west coast, plus RDU to Boston and back.
No idea on the airport codes and there was a substantial amount of land travel involved but I've been on two trips substantially in excess of 25,000 miles. (Round the world.)

If you really want to nitpick it's much longer than that--I never returned to my exact departure point of the first trip. (We moved out of our apartment and put our stuff in storage. When we got home we bought a house.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.