http://www.washingtonpost.com/todays...93_epaper.html

I thought it was interesting.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Bow Rider
A Washington Post article from Friday:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/todays...93_epaper.html

I thought it was interesting.
Delta, United Continental and other big airlines are expected to park, scrap or sell hundreds of jets with 50 seats or fewer in coming years.
As most of us probably know, the RJs and turboprops are all codeshares operated by smaller airlines. The majors (DL,UA etc.) do not own or operate them, and the smaller communities they typically serve are probably only economically viable in a bullish economy.

Which it ain't now .
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
As most of us probably know, the RJs and turboprops are all codeshares operated by smaller airlines. The majors (DL,UA etc.) do not own or operate them, and the smaller communities they typically serve are probably only economically viable in a bullish economy.

Which it ain't now .
A friend of mine who is a pilot for one of those regional carriers for United Pre-Merger said that from his perspective, concerns about the regional carriers was a sticking point with many about the Continental-United merger. What is actually interesting to me is that while there have been some changes in regional service, I've actually locally seen an expansion of it to places unheard of before.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz and Best Western, a free agent in all other respects
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
As most of us probably know, the RJs and turboprops are all codeshares operated by smaller airlines. The majors (DL,UA etc.) do not own or operate them
I did know that (kind of). But the AP reporter was so specific with facts, 25 of 30 jets with 37 seats have been grounded by CO, 5 are leased at a $6 million dollar loss, etc.

What's up with this? It kind of smells, doesn't it?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Passengers from St. Cloud, Minn., which lost air service at the end of 2009, now have a 90-minute drive to the Minneapolis airport 65 miles to the southeast.
What point is the author trying to make? I grew up in a city slightly bigger than St. Cloud, not as remote, that lost air service 11 years ago. The nearest airport is 68 miles away.

So small cities like St. Cloud have no air service - that's really news-worthy?

Pierre, S.D., will lose Delta flights to Minneapolis in mid-January. That might leave the state capital with only flights to Denver. Those flights add almost 600 miles in the wrong direction for people who want to fly from Pierre to Washington.
The story could also be that it's surprising that a city of 18,000 people has any air service at all.

No offense, but this 1-sentence-paragraph story could have been written by an 8th grader using Wikipedia.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
The central issue is that 50-seat RJs are horribly uneconomic. Michael Boyd of aviationplanning.com has been predicting this for years and years, and now everyone's falling over stunned that "OMG THE RJ IS DEAD".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.