Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
[QUOTE=JoeDTW;24562726]
Originally Posted by jlemon
4. Also in the summer of 1967, this air carrier was operating direct, no change of plane service four days a week from Acapulco to Denver. Three intermediate stops were made en route. Name the airline, all three stops in the order in which they were made and the equipment flown on this service.

5. In the summer of 1954, this U.S. airline advertised connecting helicopter service operated from its headquarters city and main base with flights to eight different airports or heliports with all of these destinations being located no further than just over 60 miles or less away from its base airport. Identify this trunk air carrier and for bonus points also identify the helicopter type.

7. At this very same time, this air carrier was operating a daily departure just a few hours earlier at 1:00pm from New York LaGuardia to San Francisco. Of course, this flight was not a nonstop and actually made five intermediate stops en route before arriving at SFO at 8:32pm. Identify the airline that operated this service, all five stops in the order in which they were made and the equipment./QUOTE]

4. In 1967, I think the only airline with authority to serve both ACA and DEN was Western. Let's guess the flight was routed ACA-LAX-LAS-SLC-DEN, with 720 equipment.

6. National Airlines. My guess would be S-55 helicopters were used.

7. United Airlines, 727-22 via CLE, ORD, OMA, DEN, and SLC. I believe this is the flight that the UA 727 that crashed at SLC in 1965 was on.
4. An excellent guess....however, the airline was not Western and the aircraft was not a Boeing 720 or 720B. In addition, the intermediate stops were different as well. So please guess again!

6. Correct! National, which billed itself at the time as the "Airline of the Stars", advertised this helicopter service operated with Sikorsky S-55 rotorcraft as being "Another National First". The route was linear in nature and here it is: Miami International Airport - Miami MacArthur Causeway-Bal Harbour-Hollywood-Fort Lauderdale-Boca Raton-Delray Beach-West Palm Beach Marina Park-Palm Beach International Airport. One way fares ranged from around $20 from MIA to PBI to just over three bucks to fly from MIA to the MacArthur Causeway heliport which served the downtown area as well as Miami Beach. BTW, National also advertised this service at this time: New York City to Havana - Douglas DC-6B - Five hours nonstop!

7. Another excellent guess.....however, the airline was not United. On the plus side of the column, the aircraft was a Boeing 727-100 and one of the stops was Chicago.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
this sounds like a Braniff BAC One-Eleven trip from Chicago (ORD) to Brownsville (BRO), with the six intermediate stops being
  1. Kansas City (MKC)
  2. Wichita (ICT)
  3. Oklahoma City (OKC)
  4. Dallas (DAL)
  5. San Antonio (SAT) **
  6. Corpus Christi (CRP)
** if not SAT, most likely Houston (HOU)
3. Braniff International is correct! Here's the sched....

BN 239: ORD 5:30a - 6:47a MKC 7:10a - 7:52a ICT 8:07a - 8:44a OKC 9:00a - 9:40a DAL 10:05a - 10:57a HOU 11:30a - 12:03p CRP 12:20p - 12:52p BRO
Op: Daily
Classes of service: F/Y
Equip: BAC One-Eleven

I believe Braniff pioneered jet service into Brownsville with the One-Eleven and later operated 727 and 72S equipment into BRO as well. I also remember being back in high school and seeing a BAC One-Eleven for the first time at Houston Hobby which was operated by BN. My thought at the time was, "Man, I've got to take a ride on that neat little jet!" And eventually I did.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
6. In the summer of 1965, this airline was operating a daily 3:00pm departure from New York JFK to Los Angeles with an arrival time of 8:37pm at LAX. However, this was not a nonstop flight as three destinations were served en route. Name the air carrier that operated this flight as well as all three stops in the order in which they were made and the aircraft type. ...
how about American, operating JFK-DAL-PHX-SAN-LAX with a Convair 990
7. At this very same time, this air carrier was operating a daily departure just a few hours earlier at 1:00pm from New York LaGuardia to San Francisco. Of course, this flight was not a nonstop and actually made five intermediate stops en route before arriving at SFO at 8:32pm. Identify the airline that operated this service, all five stops in the order in which they were made and the equipment. Partially answered - equipment was B727-100 and one of the stops was ORD...
let's stick with AA: LGA-ORD-STL-DAL-TUS-PHX-SFO
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how about American, operating JFK-DAL-PHX-SAN-LAX with a Convair 990

let's stick with AA: LGA-ORD-STL-DAL-TUS-PHX-SFO
6. American is correct....but not with a Convair 990.

Here's how you did with regard to the intermediate stops:

Dallas (DAL) - incorrect

Phoenix (PHX) - incorrect

San Diego (SAN) - incorrect

So please guess again!

7. American is correct with a B727-023.

Here's how you did with regard to the intermediate stops:

Chicago (ORD) - already correctly guessed by JoeDTW

St. Louis (STL) - incorrect

Dallas (DAL) - correct; however, this was the second stop

Tucson (TUS) - correct; however, this was the fourth stop

Phoenix (PHX) - correct

So all we are looking for here on #7 is the third stop.....
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
7- I grew up in Albuquerque thru 1960, and AA didn't fly there ... while I can't recall their route map authoritatively, between DAL and TUS there likely wasn't (and likely still isn't, for that matter) any other city larger than El Paso (ELP) ... so let's go with the complete routing of LGA-ORD-DAL-ELP-TUS-PHX-SFO
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7- I grew up in Albuquerque thru 1960, and AA didn't fly there ... while I can't recall their route map authoritatively, between DAL and TUS there likely wasn't (and likely still isn't, for that matter) any other city larger than El Paso (ELP) ... so let's go with the complete routing of LGA-ORD-DAL-ELP-TUS-PHX-SFO
7. Yep, it was good old El Paso (ELP) on the Rio Grande. American has served El Paso since the 1930s and still operates mainline flights to DFW. At one point, AA even operated DC-10 service between ELP and DFW.

Back in the mid 1930s, American was serving El Paso with 12-passenger Curtiss Condor aircraft equipped with sleeping berths which operated this westbound routing: Dallas - Ft. Worth - Abilene - Big Spring, TX - El Paso - Douglas, AZ - Tucson - Phoenix - Los Angeles. This flight departed Dallas at 10:25pm and arrived in Los Angeles the next day at 7:55am. AA advertised that the Condor cruised at 190 mph and there was no extra charge for a sleeping berth.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Aloha from sunny Honolulu! I'm enjoying a late breakfast and taking advantage of a halfway decent internet connection, so let's have a go at a couple of these before my eggs arrive!

4. Also in the summer of 1967, this air carrier was operating direct, no change of plane service four days a week from Acapulco to Denver. Three intermediate stops were made en route. Name the airline, all three stops in the order in which they were made and the equipment flown on this service.

I don't think Mexicana was serving Denver in 1967, and it definitely wasn't TT so let's go with Braniff routing ACA-MEX-SAT-DFW-DEN. Frankly, I don't know that BN even flew ACA-MEX but I can't come up with three stops without it so it's a roll of the dice. As for the equipment - in 1967 this was likely operated with a 720.

9. In the fall of 1985, only one airline was operating nonstop Boeing 727-200 service between Nashville (BNA) and Pittsburgh (PIT). Identify this air carrier. And here's a hint: it was not American Airlines.

US Air was operating 727s, but then so was Pan Am. US Air sounds too obvious so ah'mon go with PA on this one. Aloha!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 25, 2015 at 2:29 pm
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
3. It's the summer of 1967 and you are in Chicago. And there's better news: you've just received a phone call from a good buddy alerting you to the fact that the Grateful Dead will be headlining an outdoor concert to be held during the upcoming weekend and that the precursor of the band Hot Tuna will be the opening act. The location of this concert? South Padre Island, Texas on the Gulf of Mexico. You quickly ascertain the closest airport to South Padre Island that has direct, no change of plane jet service from Chicago and you then book a seat on this flight which departs ORD at the mind numbing time of 5:30am and makes no less than six intermediate stops en route. Identify the airport you'll be flying into in Texas, the airline you'll be flying on, all six stops in the order in which they were made and the aircraft type.

this sounds like a Braniff BAC One-Eleven trip from Chicago (ORD) to Brownsville (BRO), with the six intermediate stops being
  1. Kansas City (MKC)
  2. Wichita (ICT)
  3. Oklahoma City (OKC)
  4. Dallas (DAL)
  5. San Antonio (SAT) **
  6. Corpus Christi (CRP)
** if not SAT, most likely Houston (HOU)

So how was the concert?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can only imagine that it was a jammin' good time ...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Aloha from sunny Honolulu! I'm enjoying a late breakfast and taking advantage of a halfway decent internet connection, so let's have a go at a couple of these before my eggs arrive!

I don't think Mexicana was serving Denver in 1967, and it definitely wasn't TT so let's go with Braniff routing ACA-MEX-SAT-DFW-DEN. Frankly, I don't know that BN even flew ACA-MEX but I can't come up with three stops without it so it's a roll of the dice. As for the equipment - in 1967 this was likely operated with a 720.

9. In the fall of 1985, only one airline was operating nonstop Boeing 727-200 service between Nashville (BNA) and Pittsburgh (PIT). Identify this air carrier. And here's a hint: it was not American Airlines.

US Air was operating 727s, but then so was Pan Am. US Air sounds too obvious so ah'mon go with PA on this one. Aloha!
Well, I was wondering what you were doing on a bus to Bellingham...and now it's clear you caught an Alaska Air flight nonstop from BLI to HNL, hopefully in the front cabin!

4. Braniff International is correct! However, they were not flying a B720 on the route. Here's the sched....

BN 176: Acapulco (ACA) 6:00a - 6:45a Mexico City (MEX) 7:30a - 10:08a San Antonio (SAT) 11:00a - 11:48a Dallas Love Field (DAL) 12:30p - 1:08p Denver (DEN)
Op: Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Equip: "JET 727"
Classes of service: F/Y
Note: On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, BN 176 originated in MEX

9. Pan Am is correct! PA was operating a daily round trip flight with a 72S at this time with a routing of Miami-Nashville-Pittsburgh-New York JFK.

Now as for the concert.....well, I do not believe the Dead ever played a show on the beach on South Padre Island. However, in the mid 1970s, I did attend an excellent outdoor concert on the west end of Galveston Island on the Gulf of Mexico which was headlined by Hot Tuna (Elvin Bishop was one of the opening acts). The sound system was quite memorable as well as it was the legendary "Wall of Sound" PA system that had been custom designed for the Grateful Dead's live concerts with this large array featuring 546 JBL speakers and 54 Electro-Voice speakers all powered by a large number of McIntosh amplifiers. This was the "San Luis Pass Beach Splash" concert and it was one heck of a rock n' roll show!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[B]1. In the fall of 1993, no less than ten (10) airlines were operating nonstop service between Hong Kong (HKG) and Bangkok (BKK). Two of the airlines, of course, were Cathay Pacific (CX) operating B747 and L-1011 equipment and Thai Airways International (TG) flying A300 and B747 aircraft. Name as many of the other eight (8) air carriers as you can and also identify the equipment each operated on the route. Please note that partial answers are fine. And here's a hint: none of these airlines were based in the U.K. or U.S. Partially answered: JAL with DC-10 service, KLM with B747-400 Combi service, China Airlines with _________ service......

2. Also in the fall of 1993, only one airline was operating nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Iquitos (IQT) in the Amazon jungle of Peru with one round trip flight a week. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type it flew on the route.

6. In the summer of 1965, this airline was operating a daily 3:00pm departure from New York JFK to Los Angeles with an arrival time of 8:37pm at LAX. However, this was not a nonstop flight as three destinations were served en route. Name the air carrier that operated this flight as well as all three stops in the order in which they were made and the aircraft type. Partially answered - airline was American

8. It's the fall of 1965 and you've been attending a business conference in Boston. The phone rings and it's your lady friend calling from Washington, D.C. "Hey," she says, "let's meet up this weekend in Willamsburg, Virginia! I've always wanted to visit the national park there so I'll drive down and you can fly in and meet me!" You agree this is a splendid idea, of course, and then quickly ascertain the location of the nearest airport to Williamsburg which has direct, no change of plane service from Boston. The flight you'll be on makes no less than six stops en route. Name the airport you'll be flying into, the airline you'll be traveling on, all six stops in the order in which they were made and the aircraft type
Here are the remaining quiz items from my initial set. I'll submit additional quiz items as the weekend progresses....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 29, 2015 at 4:48 pm Reason: updated list of remaining quiz items
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10. In the fall of 1967, this air carrier was operating a classic milk run from Salt Lake City (SLC) to Phoenix (PHX). This daily flight made eight intermediate stops en route. Name the airline and identify all eight stops in the order in which they were made as well as the equipment flown on the route.
can't think of anything besides a Frontier Convair 580 that fits this; routing was perhaps something like:
  1. Vernal (VEL)
  2. Grand Junction (GJT)
  3. Durango (DRO)
  4. Farmington (FMN)
  5. Santa Fe (SAF)
  6. Albuquerque (ABQ)
  7. Silver City (SVC)
  8. Tucson (TUS)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can't think of anything besides a Frontier Convair 580 that fits this; routing was perhaps something like:
  1. Vernal (VEL)
  2. Grand Junction (GJT)
  3. Durango (DRO)
  4. Farmington (FMN)
  5. Santa Fe (SAF)
  6. Albuquerque (ABQ)
  7. Silver City (SVC)
  8. Tucson (TUS)
10. Frontier Airlines (FL) operating a Convair 580 is correct! However, the routing was just a bit different. Here it is....

FL 511: Salt Lake City (SLC) 5:45a - 6:20a Vernal (VEL) 6:27a - 7:00a Moab (CNY) 7:07a - 7:28a Grand Junction (GJT) 7:56a - 8:35a Farmington (FMN) 9:10a - 9:35a Gallup (GUP) 9:42a - 10:18a Albuquerque (ABQ) 10:30a - 11:18a Silver City (SVC) 11:26a - 12:08p Tucson (TUS) 12:18pm - 12:48p Phoenix (PHX)
Op: Daily
Equip: "JET PROP 580"

And here's a bonus question: at this same time in 1967, if you wanted to fly nonstop from Salt Lake City to Phoenix, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 27, 2015 at 10:15 am Reason: answer update
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bonus question: at this same time in (the fall of) 1967, if you wanted to fly nonstop from Salt Lake City to Phoenix, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?
that would have been Bonanza (BL), perhaps operating a Fairchild F-27 but more likely a Douglas DC-9-10
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that would have been Bonanza (BL), perhaps operating a Fairchild F-27 but more likely a Douglas DC-9-10
Bonanza is correct! In 1966, Bonanza was operating just two round trip flights a day nonstop between Salt Lake City and Phoenix, one with a DC-9-10 "Funjet" and the other with an F-27. The airline was also operating two direct F-27 flights at this time between SLC and PHX including a two stop service via Cedar City and Prescott, and a four stop service via Cedar City, Page, Grand Canyon National Park Airport and Prescott.

By 1968, Bonanza was only operating two DC9 "Funjet" nonstops a day between SLC and PHX in addition to direct F-27 service twice a day including a one stop flight via Cedar City and a three stop flight via Cedar City, Page and Grand Canyon National Park Airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.