Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA
I should explain that "Crash !" from upstairs is perfectly normal Current Operating Procedure . Things are not helped by the clock change this weekend, and losing an hour. It's been like a mini-jetlag within the WHBM household all day.

Meanwhile, I've been off for a sneak look at old National AL timetables to see if the Lockheed 10A was in the running for Key West. By 1945, the first timetable I can find where they were already running down to the end of The Keys, they already stated everything was with Lockheed Lodestars - the Lockheed 18. So maybe not.

Speaking of the Chief Handler Of Crashes (I am but a humble assistant in that role), alias Mrs WHBM , I should add that we had a great trip to Key West a few years ago (prior to the arrival of The Crasher), when we drove down Highway 1, always a fascination for me, in a rented convertible I have enjoyed Key West thoroughly every time I have gone there.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
fall 1994 ... 19. Only one airline was flying nonstop jet service from Orange County Airport (SNA) to Tucson (TUS) with four flights a day at this time. The same aircraft type was operated on all four flights. Identify the air carrier and the equipment. ...
this sounds like a Southwest route, but WN isn't generally on the radar for these Quiz/Discussion items ... how about a Continental 737-500

23. ... spring of 1981, four airlines were operating nonstop service from Boston (BOS) to Newark (EWR). Two of these airlines flew wide body equipment on the route. Name all four airlines as well as the different wide body aircraft types operated by two of them.
  1. Eastern, A300 (may have also been a TriStar; I suspect they operated DC9/727 variants as well)
  2. Continental, DC-10 (wild guess; I don't think the EWR hub was up and running this early, but I can't place AA/DL/NA/NW/TW/UA widebody jets on this route)
  3. Piedmont, 737-200
  4. USAir, DC9-30
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I should explain that "Crash !" from upstairs is perfectly normal Current Operating Procedure . Things are not helped by the clock change this weekend, and losing an hour. It's been like a mini-jetlag within the WHBM household all day.

Meanwhile, I've been off for a sneak look at old National AL timetables to see if the Lockheed 10A was in the running for Key West. By 1945, the first timetable I can find where they were already running down to the end of The Keys, they already stated everything was with Lockheed Lodestars - the Lockheed 18. So maybe not.

Speaking of the Chief Handler Of Crashes (I am but a humble assistant in that role), alias Mrs WHBM , I should add that we had a great trip to Key West a few years ago (prior to the arrival of The Crasher), when we drove down Highway 1, always a fascination for me, in a rented convertible I have enjoyed Key West thoroughly every time I have gone there.
Glad to hear that all is well with the crash-rescue team there at the WHBM household!

Getting back to Key West, it appears that National commenced flights into Key West back in the mid 1940's with the Lockheed Lodestar....and the runway may have not have been paved at that time. Then, by the late 1960's, I believe National replaced their Electra turboprop service into EYW with the Boeing 727-100 which may have been the first scheduled jet service into the relatively short 4,801 foot runway there.

BTW, my one and only trip to Key West was via Piedmont and their Fokker F.28 Fellowship service. I've never driven on the Overseas Highway (U.S. 1) but am definitely planning to do so one of these fine days.....
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:54 pm

18. NK (Spriit Airlines, previously Charter One) with DC-9s.

22. It is a good thing that graduation is in May, because in August 1981, PATCO went on strike and Princeton Airways ceased operations.

23. EWR-BOS. EA (L-1011), PI , US, WO (DC-10).

Last edited by Indelaware; Mar 30, 2015 at 2:03 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
this sounds like a Southwest route, but WN isn't generally on the radar for these Quiz/Discussion items ... how about a Continental 737-500
  1. Eastern, A300 (may have also been a TriStar; I suspect they operated DC9/727 variants as well) A300 with one flight a day is correct. No L-1011 service. Also three flights a day with B727-100 equipment, one flight a day with a B727-200 and one flight a day with a DC9-30.
  2. Continental, DC-10 (wild guess; I don't think the EWR hub was up and running this early, but I can't place AA/DL/NA/NW/TW/UA widebody jets on this route) DC-10 is correct..... but Continental is incorrect.
  3. Piedmont, 737-200 Correct with three flights a day.
  4. USAir, DC9-30 USAir is correct..... but DC9-30 is incorrect as the aircraft was actually a B727-200.
19. Continental with B737-500 service from SNA to TUS is correct! The first two of these flights continued on nonstop to IAH with one then heading for MSY and the other proceeding to CMH. The third flight turned around and went back to SNA while the final flight of the day terminated at TUS.

23. See my responses above for BOS to EWR service....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 30, 2015 at 6:07 pm Reason: additional info
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
18. NK (Spriit Airlines, previously Charter One) with DC-9s.

22. It is a good thing that graduation is in May, because in August 1981, PATCO went on strike and Princeton Airways ceased operations.

23. EWR-BOS. EA (L-1011), PI , US, WO (DC-10).
18. Correct! Spirit was operating a DC9-30.

22. Princeton Airways is correct...... but what was the aircraft type?

23. Correct! And the DC-10 service operated by World Airways continued on to LAX.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 30, 2015 at 6:09 pm Reason: correction
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
22. Princeton Airways is correct...... but what was the aircraft type?
That could have been either the Britten-Norman Islander or the GAF Nomad. Princeton Airways was not the sole U.S. operator of either, but more short-hop lines flew the Islander than the Nomad.

When I lived in eastern Connecticut, I occasionally saw an Islander operated by New England Airlines on the hop between Westerly, R.I., and Block Island.

I believe that an Islander flies the shortest scheduled flight in the world, from Papa Westray to Westray in the Orkney Islands.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
16- it seems to me that we had a question not too long ago regarding LAX<-->SUN service with an America West 737-300 ... perhaps that flight extended SUN<-->BOI
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kochleffel
That could have been either the Britten-Norman Islander or the GAF Nomad. Princeton Airways was not the sole U.S. operator of either, but more short-hop lines flew the Islander than the Nomad.

When I lived in eastern Connecticut, I occasionally saw an Islander operated by New England Airlines on the hop between Westerly, R.I., and Block Island.

I believe that an Islander flies the shortest scheduled flight in the world, from Papa Westray to Westray in the Orkney Islands.
22. The GAF Nomad is correct! This Australian manufactured twin turboprop featured STOL capability. I believe it was powered by Allison engines and I also think the aircraft was configured to transport 12 passengers. There may have been only one other airline operator of the Nomad in the U.S., being Coral Air, but I'm not completely sure about this. Princeton Airways also operated BN Islander aircraft but I was looking for the Nomad as the answer as it indeed was a rare type here in the U.S. with regard to scheduled pax operations. And as for the Islander, I see them every time we travel to the Caribbean....but to this day, I've never seen a Nomad.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 30, 2015 at 7:24 pm Reason: additional info
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
16- it seems to me that we had a question not too long ago regarding LAX<-->SUN service with an America West 737-300 ... perhaps that flight extended SUN<-->BOI
16. Yep, it was America West which was at this same time operating nonstop service from Sun Valley to LAX once a week on Saturdays with a Boeing 737-300. However, as stated, this flight operated five days a week from Sun Valley to Boise and then took a different routing from there. Here's the sched....

HP 608: Sun Valley (SUN) 4:30p - 5:05p Boise (BOI) 5:30p - 6:00p Las Vegas (LAS) 6:35p - 7:50p San Jose (SJC)
Op: SUN-BOI daily except Mon. & Tues., BOI-LAS daily, LAS-SJC daily except Sat.
Equip: Boeing 737-300
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
11. In early 1976, three airlines were operating nonstop jet service on the short hop from Amarillo (AMA) to Lubbock (LBB). Identify all three air carriers and the respective aircraft types they operated on the route.

Okay then - TI and BN are correct, and I don't recall Frontier ever operating a 737 into AMA, so let's go with Southwest operating a 737-200
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12. ... early 1976 ... longest nonstop route being flown from Austin (AUS)? Also name the airline that operated this flight as well as the equipment.
this could well have been Washington Dulles (IAD), on a Braniff 727

... fall of 1994:
17. This airline was operating two daily, no change of plane flights from Newark (EWR) to Anchorage (ANC). Three intermediate stops were made en route by each flight and they were the same stops in both cases. The same aircraft type was operated on both flights as well. Identify this air carrier and all three stops in the order in which they were made and also the equipment.
I am inclined to think that this was Continental, running a MadDog (MD-80) whose last two stops would have been Houston (IAH) and Seattle (SEA)

while CO had a dozen or more one-stop EWR-IAH flights, I seem to recall that 737s plied most of the direct routings thru the midwest and the M80 trips went via Florida ... for starters, I'll say these two served Ft Lauderdale (FLL); West Palm Beach (PBI) is a fallback guess

26. It's the spring of 1985 and you are in Kingston, Jamaica. You need to fly to Miami first thing in the morning and discover that two airlines offer 7:00am departures on a daily basis as their respective first flights of the day from KIN to MIA. Identify both air carriers and the different equipment they operated on the route. And, oh by the way, depending on the specific day, one of these airlines operated two different aircraft types on their 7:00am departure with one type being flown six days a week and the other type being flown on the remaining day of the week.
certainly one was Air Jamaica; I'd guess they ran a half dozen A300 trips, and a 72S on the other day of the week ... the second was probably Eastern, most likely also a 72S
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:26 pm

And good Sunday morning all!

24. In the fall of 1981, NASA and a certain aerospace company had leased an aircraft from Continental which they were operating in a flight test program. This jet aircraft had been previously used in revenue passenger service by CO prior to this flight test activity. What was the nature of this flight test program? Also identify the aerospace company and name the aircraft type.

29. It's a beautiful afternoon in early 1976 and you are having cocktails at a very nice yacht club on Bermuda where you've just completed a sail trip with your old buddy from Santa Barbara. However, on this trip, you did not use your very good friend's catamaran but opted to charter a "bare boat" from a reputable local company. You then ask him, "So where is your boat these days?" He replies, "Well, I'm glad you asked! It's currently moored at a marina in San Diego and I have an idea that you may be interested in! What say we fly to San Diego, pick up the cat along with a couple of lady friends of mine and then set sail for Santa Barbara via Avalon Harbor on Catalina Island?" Well....why not?! You then ascertain there is a direct, no change of plane flight departing the next afternoon from BDA to SAN which makes three intermediate stops en route. And, of course, you book seats in first class. Name the airline you'll be flying on, the three stops in the order in which they were made and the equipment.

30. It's yet another beautiful afternoon, this time on a Thursday in the spring of 1969. You are visiting with good friends on the windward side of the Big Island of Hawaii in the village of Hakalau. Preparations are underway for a gourmet, home made dinner and, of course, you've graciously provided the wine. Then the phone rings and it's for you. An urgent business matter has arisen and your presence is requested for a meeting as soon as possible in Miami. Much to your surprise, you discover there's a direct, no change of plane flight departing in the morning from Hilo (ITO) just down the coast road and better yet, first class is available. This flight makes one intermediate stop en route. Identify the air carrier, the intermediate stop and the aircraft type you'll be flying on.
24. McDonnell Douglas leased a DC-10 from Continental to test winglets.

29. I believe the only airline that flew to both BDA and SAN pre-deregulation was AA. There are a lot of possible routings between BDA and SAN, but I'll guess the intermediates were BOS, PHL, and PHX, with 707 Luxury Liner equipment.

30. Braniff, 707 via DAL.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA
Princeton Airways also operated BN Islander aircraft ... And as for the Islander, I see them every time we travel to the Caribbean....
I might be the only one posting here who has jumped out of an Islander; this one, same year as the photo

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1243455/

and no, I wasn't part of it's owner's professional team - but they used to hire it out to us humble weekend amateurs.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OTAQ&D Intermission

Folks, I'm currently out of state on biz and thus do not have my reference materials with me. Therefore, there will be a brief intermission with regard to yours truly providing responses to your excellent guesses.

I'll be back in Louisiana this Thursday night and will pick back up where we left off either that evening or on Good Friday morning.

Thanks for your patience! And Seat 2A: the third carrier operating service from AMA to LBB was not Southwest and the equipment was not a B737-200. So please guess again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.