Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
The initial westbound routes flown by CO with the Viscount included LAX-DEN-MDW, LAX-DEN-MKC-MDW and LAX-DEN-COS-MKC-MDW.
reading the map backwards? ... jlemon, I fear you aren't recovering as well from your eye surgery as you thought ...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Ah, yes.....make that eastbound CO routes initially flown with the Viscount, of course....and now rectified.

Too much going on here at the office as I attempt to wrap things up prior to the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend.....
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
Delta, Eastern, and National provided airline service to/from Orlando in the 1965 time frame

prior to the introduction of jet service, all airline operations used Orlando International / Herndon airport; however both the runways/taxiways and terminal facilities at ORL were inadequate to accommodate jets

the City of Orlando and the US Air Force struck an agreement to allow commercial jet operations on one of the two parallel runways at McCoy AFB (MCO), and to construct a suitable passenger terminal (on the side of that runway farthest from the AF facilities, because MCO was a Strategic Air Command (SAC) base hosting nuclear-armed B-52s)
4. Correct! The June 1, 1965 Eastern Airlines system timetable concisely summed up the situation with the following statement: "Jets serve Orlando through McCoy Air Force Base and prop-planes through Herndon Airport".

Thus, in the summer of 1965, Delta, Eastern and National (which were the only three trunk air carriers serving Orlando at this time) were all operating a split operation between Herndon (ORL) and McCoy AFB (MCO).

Delta was operating the Douglas DC-7 into ORL and the Convair 880 and Douglas DC-8 into MCO.

Eastern was operating the Convair 440 and Lockheed L-188 Electra into ORL and the Boeing 720 and 727-100 into MCO.

National was operating the Lockheed L-188 Electra into ORL and the Boeing 727-100 into MCO.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 25, 2014 at 3:50 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
3. Eastern, Lockheed Electra, routing of YIP-TOL-CMH-CLT-TPA-SRQ. Eastern was the only airline that served both Detroit and Sarasota before deregulation.

Although EA had authority to fly Detroit-Sarasota nonstop, this was never used; shortly after deregulation was enacted, North Central claimed Eastern's dormant authority, and began flying DTW-SRQ nonstop.

13. TWA, 707-331B: MKC-ORD-JFK-ORY-FCO-ATH-TLV-BOM-BKK

About ten years ago, George Hamlin wrote an article in Airways about flying around the world on TWA. Like all of George's other articles, it's very well written and insightful - definitely worth seeking out.
3. Eastern with direct Lockheed L-188 Electra service from Detroit to Sarasota is correct! However, according to the June 1, 1965 EA timetable, a different routing was being flown.....

EA 695: Detroit (YIP) 7:35a - 9:04a Cleveland (CLE) 9:30a - 10:00a Pittsburgh (PIT) 10:30a - 10:45a Charlotte (CLT) 11:35a - 12:51p Jacksonville (JAX) 1:15p - 2:08p Sarasota/Bradenton (SRQ)
Op: Daily
Equip: L-188 "PROP JET"
Classes of service: Prop first class and coach (A/T)

EA 680 was operated as the daily return Electra service departing Sarasota at 2:55p and arriving Detroit at 8:56p on the same routing in reverse.

13. TWA with weekly Boeing 707 service direct from Kansas City to Hong Kong is correct! However, the actual routing was just a bit different.....

TW 800: Kansas City (Municipal) 1:05p - 2:11p Chicago (O'Hare) 3:00p - 6:07p New York (JFK Intl.) 7:30p - 7:30a Paris (Orly) 8:30a - 9:25a Zurich (Kloten) 10:00a - 2:35p Tel Aviv-Yafo (Lod) 3:30p - 1:20a Bombay (Santa Cruz) 2:30a - 7:55a Bangkok (Don Muang) 8:45a - 1:15p Hong Kong (Kai Tak)
Op: Mondays only from MKC with a Wednesday arrival at HKG
Equip: 707 "Intercontinental Starstream Jet"
Note: plane change at JFK

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 25, 2014 at 1:34 pm Reason: additional information
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good morning, all

I've just returned home from two days at sea (plus a day in each direction just getting to the sea. Not to worry - I'm still a landlubber - but man, Alaska's Southeast panhandle sure is pretty this time of year, especially as seen from off shore.

In any event, I've had no internet access until last night and so missed the introduction of jlemon's long awaited set of questions. And what a good looking set it is! Thanks, JL and here's to a speedy and total recovery from your eye surgery.

As to the questions, I'm a bit surprised the Alaska based ones are still out there.

20. What was the total number of Convair 880 aircraft operated by Alaska Airlines?

21. What was the total number of Convair 990 aircraft operated by Alaska Airlines?

I can't help but suspect that you must've saved them for me because everybody knows that Alaska only had one of each type, especially a group as knowledgeable as yourselves. Thanks for the tap in!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
12. This air carrier was operating daily direct service at this time from Missoula, MT to Dallas Love Field with a 2:15pm departure from MSO and an 11:22pm arrival at DAL. Eight intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the airline, the equipment flown on the route and all eight stops in the order in which they were made.
this pretty well has to be Frontier with a Convair, most likely a 580 since I think they had retired their piston-powered fleet by 1967

as far as eight stopping points between MSO and DAL ... herewith some wild guesses (although I suspect four or five may actually be right)
  1. Bozeman (BZN)
  2. Billings (BIL)
  3. Casper (CPR)
  4. Denver (DEN)
  5. Colorado Springs (COS)
  6. Pueblo (PUB)
  7. Garden City (GCK)
  8. Oklahoma City (OKC)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL, AA
14. In 1968, this air carrier was operating a daily milk run flight from Oakland (OAK) to Portland (PDX). Seven intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the airline, the equipment flown on the route and all seven intermediate stops in the order in which they were made.
This was one long day - just under six hours from OAK to PDX on an West Coast F-27.
#1 - SFO - San Francisco = Home of University of San Francisco
#2 - SMF - Sacramento = Sacramento State
#3- LMT - Klamath Falls = Oregon Tech
#4 - MFR - Medford = Close enough to Southern Oregon
#5 - OTH - North Bend/Coos Bay = schooling?? we run drugs here....
#6- EUG - Eugene = University of Oregon or otherwise known as the pinball game of college football
#7 - CVO - Corvallis/Albany = Oregon State University

Last edited by Icecat; Nov 25, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:45 pm

11. This airline was operating daily direct service from Tulsa to El Paso at this time. The flight in question departed TUL at 4:05pm and arrived at ELP at 7:41pm. Four intermediate stops were made en route. Name the air carrier, the aircraft type and all four stops in the order in which the were made.
Continental with a Viscount..stopping in such hot spots as Oklahoma City, Lawton, Wichita Falls, Lubbock.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Good morning, all

I've just returned home from two days at sea (plus a day in each direction just getting to the sea. Not to worry - I'm still a landlubber - but man, Alaska's Southeast panhandle sure is pretty this time of year, especially as seen from off shore.

In any event, I've had no internet access until last night and so missed the introduction of jlemon's long awaited set of questions. And what a good looking set it is! Thanks, JL and here's to a speedy and total recovery from your eye surgery.

As to the questions, I'm a bit surprised the Alaska based ones are still out there.

20. What was the total number of Convair 880 aircraft operated by Alaska Airlines?

21. What was the total number of Convair 990 aircraft operated by Alaska Airlines?

I can't help but suspect that you must've saved them for me because everybody knows that Alaska only had one of each type, especially a group as knowledgeable as yourselves. Thanks for the tap in!
20. & 21. Correct on both, sir! And in his book "Character & Characters" concerning the history of Alaska Airlines (a copy of which Seat 2A was kind enough to send to me awhile back as I worked for AS at one point in my career), author Robert J. Serling writes about a marketing ploy undertaken by Alaska Air back when the airline entered the jet age and began flying its one and only Convair 880. A billboard appeared near the Seattle/Tacoma Airport with the following message: "ALASKA AIRLINES: FOUR JETS DAILY TO ALASKA" . Now, at this time, AS was only flying one round trip flight a day with the CV-880 on routing of SEA-FAI-ANC. So the "four jets daily" claim actually referred to the number of engines on the aircraft.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
this pretty well has to be Frontier with a Convair, most likely a 580 since I think they had retired their piston-powered fleet by 1967

as far as eight stopping points between MSO and DAL ... herewith some wild guesses (although I suspect four or five may actually be right)
  1. Bozeman (BZN)
  2. Billings (BIL)
  3. Casper (CPR)
  4. Denver (DEN)
  5. Colorado Springs (COS) Incorrect
  6. Pueblo (PUB) Incorrect
  7. Garden City (GCK) Incorrect
  8. Oklahoma City (OKC)
12. We are off to a great start here! And, indeed, it was good old Frontier Airlines (FL) flying their turboprop workhorse, the Convair 580, on the route. Here's are the remaining intermediate stops in question.

Originating Airport: Missoula (MSO)

Stop #1: Bozeman (BZN)
Stop #2: Billings (BIL)
Stop #3: Casper (CPR)
Stop #4: ____________
Stop #5: Denver (DEN)
Stop #6: ____________
Stop #7: Oklahoma City (OKC)
Stop #8: ____________

Final Destination Airport: Dallas Love Field (DAL)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:25 pm

12. We are off to a great start here! And, indeed, it was good old Frontier Airlines (FL) flying their turboprop workhorse, the Convair 580, on the route. Here's are the remaining intermediate stops in question.

Originating Airport: Missoula (MSO)

Stop #1: Bozeman (BZN)
Stop #2: Billings (BIL)
Stop #3: Casper (CPR)
Stop #4: ____________
Stop #5: Denver (DEN)
Stop #6: ____________
Stop #7: Oklahoma City (OKC)
Stop #8: ____________

Final Destination Airport: Dallas Love Field (DAL)
Lets add Cheyenne, Liberal and Lawton. Remember seeing the Liberal name on the Frontier departure sign, and I wondered to myself what is a Liberal, KS.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
8. In 1966, this airline was offering a joint service twice a week from Lima, Peru to Montreal in association with another air carrier. Airline #1 flew the service from Lima to New York City with three intermediate stops being made en route. A connection was then made to airline #2 which flew nonstop to Montreal from NYC using a different equipment type. These joint schedules appeared in airline #1's system timetable. Name both air carriers and the identify of the respective aircraft types they operated on the joint service. And for bonus points, name all three intermediate stops made by airline #1 between Lima and New York City.

Wild guess time - Eastern and Braniff cooperated on a couple of domestic interchanges, so let's assume they did here as well. To wit, I'll go with Braniff operating a DC-8 routing.... Lima-Quito-Panama City-Miami-New York JFK connecting to Eastern operating a 720 up to Montreal.

Wish me luck!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
14. In 1968, this air carrier was operating a daily milk run flight from Oakland (OAK) to Portland (PDX). Seven intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the airline, the equipment flown on the route and all seven intermediate stops in the order in which they were made.
This was one long day - just under six hours from OAK to PDX on an West Coast F-27.
#1 - SFO - San Francisco = Home of University of San Francisco
#2 - SMF - Sacramento = Sacramento State
#3- LMT - Klamath Falls = Oregon Tech
#4 - MFR - Medford = Close enough to Southern Oregon
#5 - OTH - North Bend/Coos Bay = schooling?? we run drugs here....
#6- EUG - Eugene = University of Oregon or otherwise known as the pinball game of college football
#7 - CVO - Corvallis/Albany = Oregon State University
14. Yep, completely correct....although I'm not sure about the drug part in the North Bend/Coos Bay area. Perhaps it was a kinder, more gentle time on the Oregon coast back then.....

WC 746 departed OAK daily at 4:30pm and arrived in PDX at 10:24pm....and if one did not wish to go sightseeing in an F-27, there was this morning northbound alternative.....

UA 344: Los Angeles (LAX) 7:00a - 7:59a Oakland (OAK) 8:25a - 9:46a Portland (PDX) 10:20a - 10:53a Seattle/Tacoma (SEA)
Equip: Boeing 720
Classes of service: F/L/Y - F-Jet First Class, L-Jet Standard Class, Y-Jet Custom Class

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 26, 2014 at 8:06 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11. This airline was operating daily direct service from Tulsa to El Paso at this time. The flight in question departed TUL at 4:05pm and arrived at ELP at 7:41pm. Four intermediate stops were made en route. Name the air carrier, the aircraft type and all four stops in the order in which the were made.
Continental with a Viscount..stopping in such hot spots as Oklahoma City, Lawton, Wichita Falls, Lubbock.
11. Correct! As Continental continued to add jet equipment to its fleet, the Viscount II was relegated to routes serving smaller communities. And the days of Viscount II operations were numbered as CO continued to add new DC9-10 aircraft to its fleet which were used to replace Viscount service on many routes formerly flown with the British turboprop. Here's the sched......

CO 291: Tulsa (TUL) 4:05p - 4:41p Oklahoma City (OKC) 4:55p - 5:23p Lawton/Ft. Sill (LAW) 5:35p - 5:55p Wichita Falls (SPS) 6:10p - 7:05p Lubbock (LBB) 7:25p - 7:41p El Paso (ELP)
Equip: V-2
Classes of service: A/T - Propeller first class and coach
Meal service: hors d'oeuvres SPS-LBB, dinner LBB-ELP

Continental would later serve a permutation of this route, being TUL-OKC-LAW-SPS-LBB-MAF, with a Boeing 727-200 before eventually ceasing all mainline service to LAW and SPS.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lets add Cheyenne, Liberal and Lawton. Remember seeing the Liberal name on the Frontier departure sign, and I wondered to myself what is a Liberal, KS.
12. Correct! Cheyenne was stop #4, Liberal was stop #6 and Lawton was stop #8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.