Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
41. Two airlines operate 2-stop flights between Los Angeles and Denver, each flight operated with propeller driven aircraft. Identify each airline, the route it flies and the aircraft it utilizes.

These were most likely United with a DC-6 via Las Vegas (LAS) and Grand Junction (GJT), and Western with an Electra via San DIego (SAN) and Phoenix (PHX)

Well done, J! I've hitch-hiked the United route many times and flown the Western route on a few occasions aboard 720Bs and 727-200s. Alas, no propliners for me...

42. Four airlines offer flights between Colorado Springs and Denver aboard six different models of propeller driven aircraft. Two airlines operate two different types while the other two operate just a single type. Interestingly, no two airlines operate the same aircraft type. Identify each airline and its respective aircraft operated on this route.

As with the LAX<-->SAN question earlier, I'm reasonably confident of the airlines ... I'm not sure I have the Convair variants associated with the right ones though
  1. Braniff (BN), Electra and Convair 340
  2. Central (CN), DC-3 and Convair 240
  3. Continental (CO), Viscount
  4. Frontier (FL), Convair 440

Pretty durned close! You've got all of the airlines right, but you're just a wee bit off on Frontier and Central (Did Frontier actually have 440s? I thought they were 340s before the conversions...) Anyway, feel free to modify those two airlines of you like...
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
then I'll guess that CN had migrated their flight(s) to a CV600, and FL to a CV580

I also saw an online timetable that showed CO running a DC3 on this route in Apr 66
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
then I'll guess that CN had migrated their flight(s) to a CV600, and FL to a CV580
And you would now be correct on all counts! ^^
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon
38. Wild guess time......West Coast Airlines operating a Fairchild F-27 on a routing of Portland-Salem-Corvallis/Albany-Eugene-Medford-Klamath Falls-Sacramento-San Francisco......
38. An additional and modified wild guess.....West Coast F-27 operating a routing of Portland-Eugene-Coo's Bay/North Bend-Medford-Klamath Falls-Sacramento-Oakland-San Francisco......
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Here are the remaining unanswered questions...

10. In late 1981, this airline offered the only nonstop turboprop flights between New York’s JFK and Boston. Identify both the airline and the aircraft flown.
HINT: The airplane was a twin engine turboprop carrying more than 18 passengers

The following three questions are based upon schedules published in 1959
(They may require some assistance from WHBM!)

20. This airline marketed its all-coach DC-6 domestic flights as “Silver Dollar Service” A N S W E R E D

23. If you were to fly a non-U.S. airline between Miami and Mexico City in 1959, which airline would you call? A N S W E R E D

24. Every evening except Monday, this airline’s Super Constellation would depart New York’s Idlewild Airport and fly nonstop to Caracas. So uh, what airline was it...? A N S W E R E D

Additionally, here are a few BONUS questions.

The first four (38, 43, 44 & 47) are based upon schedules published in 1966

38. (The jlemon special): Departing Portland each day at 1:00pm, this airline’s flight makes six stops enroute to San Francisco, arriving at 5:20pm. Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the six enroute stops. A N S W E R E D

43. Only one nonstop flight per day is offered between Denver and Houston. Identify the airline and aircraft type that operate this flight.

44. Not including Alaskan or Canadian airlines, identify ten airlines that were still operating DC-3s within the continental United States. A N S W E R E D

47. Over the years we’ve seen many airlines offer service between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Almost all of these flights were “add-on” flights, having originated elsewhere and stopping briefly at FLL before continuing on to MIA. In late 1966, only one airline provided scheduled service between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. The fare was $2.50 one way. Identify the airline and the two aircraft types utilized on the route. A N S W E R E D

48. June 1963, this U.S. airline served 46 cities in 10 countries and was the 10th largest airline in the world.

49. The Boeing 720 was designed to offer increased performance on short-to-medium range routes. Per schedules published in early 1965, what was the longest route operated by the 720 within the continental United States? Which airline operated it?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 27, 2014 at 10:50 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

38. (The jlemon special): Departing Portland each day at 1:00pm, this airline’s flight makes six stops enroute to San Francisco, arriving at 5:20pm. Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the six enroute stops.

An additional and modified wild guess.....West Coast F-27 operating a routing of Portland-Eugene-Coo's Bay/North Bend-Medford-Klamath Falls-Sacramento-Oakland-San Francisco......

You are a wild man today, jlemon! Sacramento to San Francisco as the final leg is correct, as is the airline and aircraft type. The rest of it is substantially off route. Hmm... Might be time for a couple of Cajun Bloody Mary's before the next guess! And here's a hint: The first stop from Portland was not in Oregon...
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
38. (The jlemon special): Departing Portland each day at 1:00pm, this airline’s flight makes six stops enroute to San Francisco, arriving at 5:20pm. Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the six enroute stops.

38. An additional and modified wild guess.....West Coast F-27 operating a routing of Portland-Eugene-Coo's Bay/North Bend-Medford-Klamath Falls-Sacramento-Oakland-San Francisco......
You are a wild man today, jlemon! Sacramento to San Francisco as the final leg is correct, as is the airline and aircraft type. The rest of it is substantially off route. Hmm... Might be time for a couple of Cajun Bloody Mary's before the next guess! And here's a hint: The first stop from Portland was not in Oregon...
How about this all-California routing: PDX-CEC(Crescent City)-ACV (Eureka)-RDD(Redding)-CIC (Chico)-MYV(Marysville)-SMF-SFO
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
[QUOTE=Seat 2A;23684470]
15. From Miami, two airlines operate DC-3 flights to two separate destinations within Florida. Identify the airlines and the respective routes flown
Originally Posted by miniliq
I agree with jlemon on Pro Air Services (SZ),which had DC-3 nonstops to FLL and West Palm Beach (PBI). But I believe the other operator, according to my research, was another obscure (to me at least) commuter carrier -- Aerosun International (MF), with service to Key West and Tampa.

My question was based upon an OAG I had from late 1981. Utilizing the itineraries pages of the OAG, the only Pro Air segments in my edition were between MIA and EYW. But that's only per my specific OAG. Were your above referenced DC-3 flights also operating in 1981? If not, what years did they operate?
I stand corrected. The Pro Air Service between MIA and TPA began on 12/20/81 (according to a 12/15/81 OAG) with a Convair, not a DC-3.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq

How about this all-California routing: PDX-CEC(Crescent City)-ACV (Eureka)-RDD(Redding)-CIC (Chico)-MYV(Marysville)-SMF-SFO

Yes Sir, that's the one. Pacific Airlines Flight 27, departing Portland each afternoon at 1:00pm, arriving San Francisco at 5:20pm. These days I'm not so sure that MYV even has commercial airline service anymore.

For what it's worth, jlemon's guesses were all quite reasonable routings that might have been valid had the airline been West Coast. I apologize for mistakenly crediting him with having the airline correct as that may have thrown off his subsequent guesses. Then again, if he did break out the fixins for some of those infamous Cajun Bloody Mary's, it might not have mattered...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 25, 2014 at 10:27 pm
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... 1966
44. Not including Alaskan or Canadian airlines, identify ten airlines that were still operating DC-3s within the continental United States.
44 - okay, here's my Top Ten list:
  1. Central
  2. Continental
  3. Frontier
  4. Lake Central
  5. North Central
  6. Ozark
  7. Provincetown-Boston
  8. Southern
  9. Trans-Texas
  10. West Coast

49. The Boeing 720 was designed to offer increased performance on short-to-medium range routes. Per schedules published in early 1965, what was the longest route operated by the 720 within the continental United States? Which airline operated it?
49 - I have to believe this was JFK-SEA (approx 2400 miles), with a red-tailed Northwest 720B
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Oops I didn't realize this one has been answered.

Airline was Pacific and the aircraft was an F-27
Here we go:
Depart Portland
#1 - Crescent City (if it's the right season, you could see the whales on the way to the next stop, or you can enjoy the Redwoods)
#2- Eureka-Arcata (foggiest airport in the States)
#3- Over the mountain to Redding (Redding is just Redding)
#4 - Chico (home to one of the biggest party schools in the US)
#5 - Marysville-Yuba City (an official dump)
#6 - Sacramento (Say hi to Governor Reagan)
Finally we reach San Francisco.
If you wanted to fly to LAX it was a quick connection with stops at San Jose, Fresno, Bakersfield, Burbank and then the long trip to LAX. Heck of day if you're traveling from CEC.

Last edited by Icecat; Oct 25, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
47. Over the years we’ve seen many airlines offer service between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Almost all of these flights were “add-on” flights, having originated elsewhere and stopping briefly at FLL before continuing on to MIA. In late 1966, only one airline provided scheduled service between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. The fare was $2.50 one way. Identify the airline and the two aircraft types utilized on the route.

47. Yet another wild guess.....Eastern operating Boeing 720 and Convair 440 service between MIA and FLL.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

44. Not including Alaskan or Canadian airlines, identify ten airlines that were still operating DC-3s within the continental United States

Okay, here's my Top Ten list:
  1. Central
  2. Continental
  3. Frontier
  4. Lake Central
  5. North Central
  6. Ozark
  7. Provincetown-Boston
  8. Southern
  9. Trans-Texas
  10. West Coast

Pretty good, J. You've got nine of the ten (There are actually eleven but 10 is a nice round number...) So - one of them is wrong. Just to keep it interesting for you, can you determine which one is wrong and which one (or two if you like) are missing from the above list?
HINT: Both as yet unlisted airlines operated exclusively east of the Mississippi

I have to believe this was JFK-SEA (approx 2400 miles), with a red-tailed Northwest 720B.

Per the schedule I referenced, there were two flights operated with 720s that were longer than the JFK-SEA run. Please - guess again!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Icecat
Oops I didn't realize this one has been answered!

Airline was Pacific and the aircraft was an F-27
Here we go:
Depart Portland
#1 - Crescent City (if it's the right season, you could see the whales on the way to the next stop, or you can enjoy the Redwoods)
#2- Eureka-Arcata (foggiest airport in the States)
#3- Over the mountain to Redding (Redding is just Redding)
#4 - Chico (home to one of the biggest party schools in the US)
#5 - Marysville-Yuba City (an official dump)
#6 - Sacramento (Say hi to Governor Reagan)
Finally we reach San Francisco.

If you wanted to fly to LAX it was a quick connection with stops at San Jose, Fresno, Bakersfield, Burbank and then the long trip to LAX. Heck of day if you're traveling from CEC.

No worries, Icecat! I'm sure I speak for many when I say we enjoyed the color commentary after each correctly listed stop. ^^
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

47. Over the years we’ve seen many airlines offer service between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Almost all of these flights were “add-on” flights, having originated elsewhere and stopping briefly at FLL before continuing on to MIA. In late 1966, only one airline provided scheduled service between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. The fare was $2.50 one way. Identify the airline and the two aircraft types utilized on the route.

Yet another wild guess.....Eastern operating Boeing 720 and Convair 440 service between MIA and FLL.

Ooooh - that is a bit wild! It was not Eastern, however. Here's a hint: Both of the aircraft utilized by this airline on this route were built in Long Beach......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.