Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm pretty sure EA only ran STL <--> DCA, so the 720 certainly wouldn't have fit that bill since the 727 was the largest jet allowed into National until the 757 came along ~1982
I'm not sure whether this flight went through National (in which case Electra it is), or Dulles or Baltimore, portrayed in those days as a Washington airport.

can anyone identify any other markets where EA had Air-Shuttle service? (I know of at least one, since I flew on it in Jun 1974) ...
I understand the maximum extent was BOS-LGA and EWR, and DCA-LGA and EWR. BOS-DCA was shown on the maps but not I believe a proper hourly Shuttle with guaranteed backups, pay on board, etc

(A) what was Eastern's flight numbering convention for the DCA/BOS <--> LGA Air-Shuttle operation? both the OAGs and EA's timetables simply showed "A/S"
I only ever saw this in published schedules. There must have been flight numbers for operational purposes.

The British Airways Shuttle (I know I keep coming back to this but it's a good comparison) used 4-digit flight numbers with lots of spare space, eg BA4801 for the 07.00 to Glasgow, BA4811 for the 08.00, etc, and the associated backups (our words for an extra section) were numbered BA 4803, maybe BA4805, etc. The large number of flights possibly in the air at once for Heathrow Approach led to the traditional BA callsign "Speedbird" being replaced by "Shuttle" on these flights, which is still followed today by BA on the main domestic flights, although the Shuttle concept has gone, while to further differentiate things the backups used a callsign from the last 2 characters of the registration, so a backup flight using BAC One-Eleven 500 G-AVMR would be "Shuttle Mike Romeo".

And thereby hangs a tale.

Mike Romeo was inbound from Glasgow one evening in the 1980s when Heathrow was on easterlies and busy, so vectoring everyone approaching out to the west of London over Berkshire, Mike Romeo got sent on a westbound heading, and was then embarrassingly and unaccountably forgotten for a while. It was halfway to Bristol, still heading west, when it was remembered, picked up, turned around, and brought back as an absolute priority. And so ATC took to "adopting" Mike Romeo, to make up, and give it priority, always with a little smile among themselves. The pilots heard about this and joined in the fun "Would it help our slot if we say we're Mike Romeo". "This is Shuttle MIKE ROMEO I say again MIKE ROMEO inbound", and all that.

Don't believe it in such a professional UK ATC environment ?

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5946
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
not having any better ideas at the time, I logged my DCA-EWR flight on N5517 (an Electra) as "EA 5517"
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Good Evening All,

Folks, I'm going to have to take a little break from answering quiz items on the OTA&AQ as my fiancee is now in the hospital with a severe case of pneumonia and is very sick.

I'll try to return this weekend with answers.....

Meantime, please say a little prayer for my Lady Kate.

Thanks,

jlemon
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
here's wishing her a speedy recovery
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
All best wishes to Lady Kate for a quick and total recovery, especially with Business Class on Lufthansa's A380 to look forward to in the coming days!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Don't worry about the quiz -- look after Kate -- she's on my prayer list starting now.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Praying for Lady Kate (and her fiancé).
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: DL, AA
Best wishes for a speedy recovery..been there done that, in three weeks she will be as good as new.

21) Name an airline that operated nonstop jet service with mainline equipment between Little Rock (LIT) and Jackson (JAN) in the late 70's. Also identify the aircraft used on the route.

I will go with Frontier with a 737-200.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Many thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

Kate is still hospitalized but continues to slowly improve. I am hopeful she will be able to come home by this Sunday.

Meantime, I'll attempt to provide answers and commentary concerning my latest OTA&AQ quiz items either this evening or tomorrow morning.

Thanks again,

jlemon
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Kate is still hospitalized but continues to slowly improve. I am hopeful she will be able to come home by this Sunday.
I'm glad to hear that Kate is recovering. We tend to take that for granted these days but it can still be nasty. My best wishes to both of you.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
it's Wild Guess Time

ROUND 1:
Delta, with a Convair 440 via
  1. Augusta (AGS)
  2. Savannah (SAV)
  3. Jacksonville (JAX)
  4. Orlando (probably ORL)
  5. Tampa (TPA)
  6. West Palm Beach (PBI)
ROUND 2:
United, with a 727-100 via JAX and ATL
ROUND 3:
Carnival, 737-400 (however, I can't see that jet making the westbound run without serious payload limitations)
Good Morning All,

Kate Update: she remains in the hospital and there has now been a medical complication. However, it is not life threatening and she continues to improve. It also appears she will have to remain in the hospital for awhile longer.

ROUND 1 - ATL to MIA:

17) A very good guess and the Convair 440 is correct. However, the airline was not Delta. Jacksonville is also correct as it was one of the stops but your other five stops are incorrect.

ROUND 2 - PBI to CRW:

18) Another good guess and United is correct as is Atlanta as it was one of the two stops. However, the equipment was not a B727-100 and the other stop was not Jacksonville.

ROUND 3 - FLL - LAX R/T:

30) Carnival Air Lines with nonstop B737-400 service between FLL and LAX is correct! Here are the scheds....

KW 611: Fort Lauderdale 4:30p - 7:10p Los Angeles
Op: Daily
Equip: 734

KW 610: Los Angeles 11:15p - 7:05a Fort Lauderdale
Equip: 734
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
That was Continental, advertising their short-lived "Continental West" service to compete with AirCal and PSA.

Routing was LAX-SJC-SEA, at first with 737-300 aircraft, later replaced with the DC9-30.
3) Correct! Continental West was offering the following totally unrestricted off peak, one way air fares in coach at this time: LAX-SJC $29, SJC-SEA $59 and LAX-SEA $69. Plus, meals and cocktails were complimentary.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2) Name the airline that used this marketing statement: "Isle seats to Maui."

The obvious choice (to me, at least) would seem to be a local service carrier such as Aloha or Hawaiian but then why promote aisles for a twenty-minute flight? On the other hand, a wide-bodied aircraft from the mainland would offer plenty of aisle seats... Let's go with United's DC-10 service. If not that, I'll just move on down the line with a number of other large tri-jet operators!
2) Time to move on down the line to another tri-jet operator! Please guess again!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I've been all around (lots of flights) and somewhat lost touch with the thread, but let me have a stab here

16) [1965] You are in St. Louis and need to travel to Bermuda. You discover that one airline operates daily one stop service and better yet, first class is offered as well as coach. Name the airline you'll be flying on in first class as well as the aircraft type and the intermediate stop.

I think that in 1965 only Pan Am and Eastern served Bermuda. Pan Am never served St Louis so it would be Eastern, who went there from New York and Washington. Eastern didn't do St Louis to New York, but they did (somewhat strangely) do St Louis to Washington. Eastern were still running a lot of prop aircraft at the time, I suspect that 3-engined 727s weren't allowed way out over the Atlantic yet, and a DC8/720 was probably too big for St Louis to Washington, so I'll pick between a DC7B and an Electra. Avgas was probably a nuisance to ship to Bermuda by this time so let's go for an Electra. If it's not that, they've changed it over to a 720.
16) Eastern with direct Lockheed L-188 Electra service between St. Louis and Bermuda is correct! Here are the round trip scheds.....

EA 909: St. Louis 8:00a - 11:19a Washington National 11:50a - 2:37p Bermuda
Equip: Electra "PROP JET"
Classes of service: first and coach (A/T)
Meals in A/T: breakfast STL-DCA, lunch DCA-BDA

EA 908: Bermuda 3:30p - 6:25p Washington National 6:55p - 8:27p St. Louis
Equip: Electra "PROP JET"
Classes of service: first and coach (A/T)
Meals in A/T: dinner BDA-DCA, dinner DCA-STL

Obviously an honest days work for the good old L-188......
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
Best wishes for a speedy recovery..been there done that, in three weeks she will be as good as new.

21) Name an airline that operated nonstop jet service with mainline equipment between Little Rock (LIT) and Jackson (JAN) in the late 70's. Also identify the aircraft used on the route.

I will go with Frontier with a 737-200.
21) Correct! Frontier (FL) was operating two daily round trip flights with B737-200 equipment at this time between Little Rock and Jackson, and they were both extensions of service to and from Denver, of course.....

I believe this service into Jackson (JAN) only lasted a short while and was also the only time that FL ever served a destination in Mississippi on a scheduled basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.