Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

19. In 1984, this air carrier ran an ad with the following statement:

"Plus, we're instituting a new, higher level of in-flight service on the ___(aircraft type)___ and ___(aircraft type)___ called Summit Class"

Fill in the blanks and name the airline. And here's a hint: this air carrier was operating four different aircraft types at this time.....two of which were the Beechcraft 1900C and the Swearingen Metro III. Plus, this airline was based in the U.S.

23. In 1992, Southwest Airlines ran an ad with the following statement:

"Liar, liar. Pants on fire."

Explain what this Southwest ad was about. This ad was aimed at another airline.
And here are some hints for the above as well.....

I will also have a new batch of quiz items to submit by this weekend.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I've now included a couple of hints for this one.....
14. In 1979, this air carrier was operating nonstop service from Guadalajara to two destinations in the western U.S. Both flights were operated once a week and the same aircraft type was flown on each flight. Name the airline, the two destinations in the U.S. and the equipment. The air carrier in question was based in the U.S. and the aircraft was a twin engine jet
14- I'm gonna speculate this was Frontier running a 737-291 to El Paso (ELP) and Albuquerque (ABQ)
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
14- I'm gonna speculate this was Frontier running a 737-291 to El Paso (ELP) and Albuquerque (ABQ)
14. Your speculation is spot on as it was indeed Frontier. Here are the northbound scheds....

FL 162: Guadalajara (GDL) 3:10p - 4:05p El Paso (ELP) 5:05p - 6:30p Denver (DEN)
Op: Mondays only
Equip: 73S

FL 162: Guadalajara (GDL) 2:57p - 4:23p Albuquerque (ABQ) 5:05p - 6:30p Denver (DEN)
Op: Wednesdays only
Equip: 73S

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 20, 2017 at 3:28 pm Reason: sched correction
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for posting this! I'd love to acquire the CO sign with the wonderful old meatball.....and I'm positive that Lady K would be absolutely thrilled if I then attempted to hang it up on a wall somewhere in our home....
You want me to handle this one for you? If we get in early enough from the bus station, I could get it already hung by the time she gets home. I mean... consider now... it might be a bit easier to deflect Lady K's "excitement" at this new art work if we could put it on me - AND - it'd get to hang on the wall for at least a little while!

By the way, how does she generally feel about Saul Bass' logo designs, anyway?

And another combi operator based in Iceland at this time was Eagle Air (IS) operating Boeing 737-200 Combi service between KEF and Amsterdam, Dusseldorf and Zurich.
I think I have a postcard of an Eagle Air Boeing 720. A B model as I recall. I wonder if it was a combi?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 22, 2017 at 3:01 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Per JL: Ah, does this mean that all of Alaska Air's Boeing 737-400 Combi aircraft will be retired shortly? .....

Per JRL767: Yes, the last Combi trip is AS66 ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU-SEA on 18 Oct (although there's a recent update to an earlier post that says the last one's retirement date is 26 Oct)
I've been aware that Alaska was closing out its -400 operations sometime in October but I hadn't put much effort into getting some last flights booked. Thanks to you two, I've now cancelled plans to fly to Bangkok in First Class aboard Cathay Pacific and have now booked myself FAI-ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU- XXX -
KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-ANC-OTZ-OME-ANC-FAI-SCC-BRW-ANC-FAI. All this will be flown in just two days, departing October out of Fairbanks on October 24th with the last -400 flight coming on October 26th - SCC-BRW-ANC. All this for just 25000 miles. Anyone care to join me?

I don't know if the BRW-ANC sector will be the very last revenue flight, but it will be my 500th flight aboard an Alaska Airlines 737-400.

Update Per Alaskaair.com, AS 66 is operating ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU-SEA on November 1st. I'll check for more tomorrow. Right now Seat 2A awaits me aboard a Qantas A330-200 bound for Perth. Cheers!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 22, 2017 at 3:33 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I've ... now booked myself FAI-ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU- XXX -
KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-ANC-OTZ-OME-ANC-FAI-SCC-BRW-ANC-FAI. All this will be flown in just two days, departing October out of Fairbanks on October 24th with the last -400 flight coming on October 26th - SCC-BRW-ANC. All this for just 25000 miles. Anyone care to join me?

Update Per Alaskaair.com, AS 66 is operating ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU-SEA on November 1st.I'll check for more tomorrow. Right now Seat 2A awaits me aboard a Qantas A330-200 bound for Perth. Cheers!
I'll be in DC for a conference the last week of Oct, but that AS66 run is tempting ...
I don't know if the BRW-ANC sector will be the very last revenue flight, but it will be my 500th flight aboard an Alaska Airlines 737-400.
I just logged my 200th flight on AS a week ago, SEA-DCA aboard N519AS (my wife's first trip in Row 1 of a 12F -800)

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 22, 2017 at 8:01 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, how does she generally feel about Saul Bass' logo designs, anyway?

I think I have a postcard of an Eagle Air Boeing 720. A B model as I recall. I wonder if it was a combi?
Well, I do not think Lady K has an opinion either way.....and I also do not think the CO sign stands a chance of being considered "artwork" and thus getting enshrined on one of our walls at home. So I guess I shall pass on this acquisition....

There are several photos of Eagle Air Boeing 720-47B aircraft with different paint schemes on the internet but none of them appear to be a combi (was there ever a 720/720B combi version?). I also believe Eagle Air operated Boeing 707-324C and -382B aircraft (with the -324C having "Eagle Air Cargo" titles) as well as a Super DC-8-61 formerly flown by Air Canada.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Plus, we're instituting a new, higher level of in-flight service on the ___(aircraft type)___ and ___(aircraft type)___ called Summit Class"

Fill in the blanks and name the airline. And here's a hint: this air carrier was operating four different aircraft types at this time.....two of which were the Beechcraft 1900C and the Swearingen Metro III. The two aircraft types we are looking for were not manufactured in the U.S. but the airline in question was based in the U.S.

Explain what this Southwest ad was about. This ad was aimed at another airline.
Last call for the above with an additional hint added for 19! Should there be no takers, I'll provide the answers tomorrow.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA

There are several photos of Eagle Air Boeing 720-47B aircraft with different paint schemes on the internet but none of them appear to be a combi (was there ever a 720/720B combi version?). I also believe Eagle Air operated Boeing 707-324C and -382B aircraft (with the -324C having "Eagle Air Cargo" titles) as well as a Super DC-8-61 formerly flown by Air Canada.
The bulk of these were not used on any scheduled operation from Iceland, which I think could normally be held down by a single jet aircraft, including holiday charter flights from Reykjavik to Malaga and the Canary islands. The fleet was mainly used on various charter contracts, they did a lot of the pilgrimage flights to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia for Mecca. They were also a regular substitute operator across Europe for the various holiday flight operators; Britannia Airways called them in quite regularly over the years to cover fleet breakdowns. I don't know if they positioned from Iceland for this work or based somewhere in Europe. Air Atlanta, another Icelandic operator who did this standby sub-charter work, with Tristars, based themselves at London Gatwick, a couple of their fleet were commonly at the far west end of the ramp there, waiting for the call.

Regarding the 720/720B, there was never a combi or freighter version, nor even a conversion. The 720 is essentially a 707, optimised for lighter weights for shorter flights with less fuel and cargo, the structure, landing gear, etc, even the cabin floor, is significantly lightened. This does not suit a freight operation at all, which commonly needs the aircraft up to maximum take off weight, even on short stages, the low fuel load allowing even more cargo. So the 707-320C was what anyone with cargo requirements would go for.

Another significant Combi user was Air Canada, who started this with a fleet of DC8-54F aircraft with the large cargo door. They fitted them with about 60 Economy seats in about 10 rows, no F, and used them on several of their low-demand transatlantic flights. If you look in an old AC timetable and find DC8 flights which offer Y only, that's them.

Last edited by WHBM; Sep 22, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fill in the blanks and name the airline. And here's a hint: this air carrier was operating four different aircraft types at this time.

Explain what this Southwest ad was about.
Time to answer these.....

19. The air carrier was Cascade Airways:

Cascade has more jets, more often to more cities in the Northwest.

"Cascade Airways is taking bold steps to become the best regional airline in America. We've just taken delivery of our own - not rented - BAC 1-11 jets. These sleek, roomy, 79 passenger aircraft will bring the highest level of passenger comfort to the Pacific Northwest."

"Plus, we're instituting a new, higher level of in-flight service on the BAC 1-11's and HS 748's called Summit Class - the rival of anything you've ever experienced on the major carriers."

Cascade Airways We're flying higher.

23. This Southwest ad was aimed at Northwest Airlines in response to a "false claim" made by NW that it was the number one airline in the U.S. concerning customer satisfaction. Northwest excluded Southwest from its comparison with other airlines. The Southwest ad stated:

"After lengthy deliberation at the highest executive levels and extensive consultation with our legal department, we have arrived at an official corporate response to Northwest Airlines claim to be Number One in Customer Satisfaction: Liar, liar. Pants on fire."
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And it's back to the OTAQ&D on the first Saturday evening of fall....and a lovely evening it is here in south Louisiana with just a few thundershowers here and there to liven things up as sunset approaches.

1. It's 1960 and you are in Los Angeles. You've been invited by good friends to take part in a sailing excursion in French Polynesia. Their sailboat is moored in Papeete, Tahiti which appears to be not the easiest place to get to. There is a connecting service involving two airlines that operates once a week. Your first flight will make one intermediate stop before arriving at a destination where you'll make your connection the next day. Your second flight is a nonstop service to Papeete. Name both airlines, the aircraft types and the location of the stop made by the first flight. ANSWERED

2. Now it's 1963 and you are in Atlanta where you've just concluded a business meeting. You need to be in Miami the next morning for another meeting and have found a flight departing ATL at 8:05 pm which will get you into MIA at 10:30 pm with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the equipment and the stop. ANSWERED

3. If you wanted to fly into Shanghai, China on board a Boeing 720B in 1964 what airline would you call? ANSWERED

4. In 1968, this airline was operating scheduled nonstop service to Nassau and Bermuda from London Heathrow in support of all-inclusive holiday trips. These flights, which appeared in the air carrier's timetable, could only be booked in conjunction with these holiday trips. Nassau and Bermuda were served nonstop from LHR on alternating Sundays by this air carrier which also operated regularly scheduled passenger service to other destinations. Identify the airline and the equipment. ANSWERED

5. It's still 1968 and you are in San Francisco. You've just missed a nonstop flight to Las Vegas but have found another flight departing SFO at 7:00 pm that will get you into LAS at 9:28 pm. Two stops will be made en route. Name the air carrier you'll be flying with as well as the aircraft type and the two stops in the order in which they will be made.

6. This U.S. based air carrier which was operating scheduled passenger service at the time placed deposits in 1968 for a new aircraft with the announcement it would acquire six of the type. The airline in question had big plans for these new airplanes. However, it never took delivery of any of them and there was very good reason for this. Name the airline and the aircraft. ANSWERED

7. Also in 1968, this airline was operating direct one stop service once a week between Ibiza and Liverpool. The same stop was made in each direction. Name the airline, the equipment and the stop. ANSWERED

8. Now it's 1969 and you are Burbank. You are about to travel to Santa Barbara for a visit with your old sailing buddy. Of course, you could drive or take the train but are prepared instead to drive to LAX and take a United 727 on the short hop up to SBA. Then your old friend tells you about a nonstop service to SBA from BUR. It's operated with a jet and he says the flying time is only 19 minutes. You book a seat and off you go. Identify the airline and the jet aircraft type. The airline wasn't Air West and the equipment was not a DC9 or D9S. Hint: This jet service was not operated by a major air carrier.

9. In 1970, two airlines were operating Boeing 707 service into Merida (MID). We recently discussed one of the carriers here on the OTAQ&D: Pan Am. Name the other airline that operated 707 service into Merida at this time and for bonus points identify the route. ANSWERED

10. Name the only airline that was operating scheduled passenger service from Houston Hobby Airport (HOU) in February of 1970. ANSWERED

11. Ten years earlier, you made your first visit to French Polynesia where you thoroughly enjoyed your sailing excursion. Well, how about an encore? It's 1970 and your good friends are back in Papeete, this time with a catamaran, and they've invited you once again. But this time you are even further away from Tahiti. In fact, you are in Frankfurt, Germany. So how to get there? Very surprisingly, you have found that one airline can get you from FRA to PPT with a connecting service being offered once a week. The same aircraft type is used on both flights and you will not have long to wait in your connecting city before boarding your second flight. Your first flight makes four intermediate stops en route and your second flight makes one stop. Identify the air carrier, the equipment, the connecting city and all of the stops in the order in which they will be made. ANSWERED

12. Also in 1970, this airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Noumea and Auckland in the South Pacific. A twin engine aircraft was operated on the route. Name the air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED

13. In 1971, this U.S. airline called one of its aircraft types the "Air Cruise". Identify this airline and the aircraft which it described as being "intimate". ANSWERED

14. It's 1974 and you are back in L.A. You need to travel to Amarillo but cannot depart until the evening. No problem! Here's a daily flight departing LAX at 6:00 pm that arrives at AMA at 11:25 pm. Two stops will be made and dinner will be served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the two stops in the order in which they will be made. Texas International operating a DC9 LAX-ABQ-___-AMA. Hint: the missing stop was made in Texas.

15. Now you are in Bermuda and it's still 1974. You need to travel to New York City. There are several nonstop flights you could take.....but where's the fun in that? So, instead, you book first class on a direct flight which makes two intermediate stops. You'll depart from Bermuda at 4:20 pm and arrive in New York at 8:06 pm. Dinner will be served en route. Identify the airline, the aircraft type, the two stops in the order in which they will be made and the airport you will arrive at in New York. Delta operating BDA-BOS-BDL-JFK with a __________ (not a 72S)

Additional new quiz items to follow.....

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 2, 2017 at 5:47 pm Reason: departure time correction on # 2 & clarification on # 6 & answer updates
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A big round of applause to jlemon for submitting YET ANOTHER scintillating batch of questions. THANK YOU! ^^^^^

3. If you wanted to fly into Shanghai, China on board a Boeing 720B in 1964 what airline would you call?

This one came up in conversation (not necessarily here) not so long ago - If I recall correctly, it was PIA flying in from Dacca, Bangladesh. In fact, I also seem to recall something about this perhaps being the very first Western built jet service into mainland China.

4. In 1968, this airline was operating scheduled nonstop service to Nassau and Bermuda from London Heathrow in support of all-inclusive holiday trips. These flights, which appeared in the air carrier's timetable, could only be booked in conjunction with these holiday trips. Nassau and Bermuda were served nonstop from LHR on alternating Sundays by this air carrier which also operated regularly scheduled passenger service to other destinations. Identify the airline and the equipment.

Let's go with British Eagle. I believe they would have been operating a Boeing 707 - which replaced a Britannia.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2. Now it's 1963 and you are in Atlanta where you've just concluded a business meeting. You need to be in Miami the next morning for another meeting and have found a flight departing ATL at 7:20 pm which will get you into MIA at 10:30 pm with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the equipment and the stop.
2- it's either Delta or Eastern; elapsed time seems to indicate it wasn't a jet or a turboprop, leaving a DC-7 for the aircraft type with the routing as the wild card ... I'll open the bidding with Delta via Tampa (TPA)
15. Now you are in Bermuda and it's still 1974. You need to travel to New York City. There are several nonstop flights you could take.....but where's the fun in that? So, instead, you book first class on a direct flight which makes two intermediate stops. You'll depart from Bermuda at 4:20 pm and arrive in New York at 8:06 pm. Dinner will be served en route. Identify the airline, the aircraft type, the two stops in the order in which they will be made and the airport you will arrive at in New York.
15- how about Eastern, operating into JFK via Baltimore (BAL) and Philadelphia (PHL) ... I think their 720s were gone by 1974, and I'm not sure that they ever ran 727s to BDA, so this may have been a TriStar

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 23, 2017 at 10:41 pm
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[B]

3. If you wanted to fly into Shanghai, China on board a Boeing 720B in 1964 what airline would you call?

This one came up in conversation (not necessarily here) not so long ago - If I recall correctly, it was PIA flying in from Dacca, Bangladesh. In fact, I also seem to recall something about this perhaps being the very first Western built jet service into mainland China.

4. In 1968, this airline was operating scheduled nonstop service to Nassau and Bermuda from London Heathrow in support of all-inclusive holiday trips. These flights, which appeared in the air carrier's timetable, could only be booked in conjunction with these holiday trips. Nassau and Bermuda were served nonstop from LHR on alternating Sundays by this air carrier which also operated regularly scheduled passenger service to other destinations. Identify the airline and the equipment.

Let's go with British Eagle. I believe they would have been operating a Boeing 707 - which replaced a Britannia.
3. Correct! In July of 1964, Pakistan International was operating into Shanghai once a week on Fridays with the Boeing 720B. PK 728 flew Karachi-Dacca and then changed flight numbers following a one hour and fifteen minute layover. PK 750 operated Dacca-Shanghai. Then, following a two hour turn, PK 751 operated a routing of Shanghai-Canton-Dacca, changed flight numbers again after a one hour layover and operated as PK 729 Dacca-Karachi.

4. British Eagle is correct! Here are the scheds....

EG 231: London Heathrow (LHR) 8:55a - 2:25p Nassau (NAS)
Op: Alternate Sundays
Equip: 707

EG 232: Nassau (NAS) 5:30p - 8:15a London Heathrow (LHR)

EG 233: London Heathrow (LHR) 2:55p - 7:00p Bermuda (BDA)

EG 234: Bermuda (BDA) 8:45p - 8:15a London Heathrow (LHR)

The April 1, 1968 British Eagle timetable contained this note concerning the above flights: "Reservations on LONDON-NASSAU & LONDON-BERMUDA services may only be made in conjunction with all-inclusive holidays organised by Sir Henry Lunn Ltd."

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 24, 2017 at 7:36 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
2- it's either Delta or Eastern; elapsed time seems to indicate it wasn't a jet or a turboprop, leaving a DC-7 for the aircraft type with the routing as the wild card ... I'll open the bidding with Delta via Tampa (TPA)

15- how about Eastern, operating into JFK via Baltimore (BAL) and Philadelphia (PHL) ... I think their 720s were gone by 1974, and I'm not sure that they ever ran 727s to BDA, so this may have been a TriStar
Excellent guesses all!

However, I made a mistake concerning the departure time from Atlanta: the flight actually departed ATL at 8:05 pm. And the equipment was a jet. Meanwhile....

2. The air carrier in question was not Delta or Eastern, the flight did not stop in Tampa and the equipment wasn't a DC-7.

15. New York JFK is correct! However, the airline was not Eastern, the equipment wasn't a B720, B727 or a L-1011 and the stops were not made at Baltimore or Philadelphia.

Please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 24, 2017 at 7:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.