Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jrl767
29- I'm wondering if this was the swan song for the ex-PSA BAe 146s in USAir livery ... I rode N175US on this route in 1988
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
"Wondering" would suggest that you've still not settled upon a set answer just yet. As such, it would only be polite to let you wonder on until you feel more certain as to your choice.
29- please replace "wondering if" with "willing to speculate that"

23 Bonus- two possibilities, both on Lake Erie, come to mind: Erie PA and Toledo OH
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
29. Whats got 4 engines and flies daily between LAS and LAX?

I'm wondering if this was the swan song for the ex-PSA BAe 146s in USAir livery ... I rode N175US on this route in 1988

"Wondering" would suggest that you've still not settled upon a set answer just yet. As such, it would only be polite to let you wonder on until you feel more certain as to your choice. Good luck, J!

Please replace "wondering if" with "willing to speculate that"

An excellent choice of words there, J, and as such, yes - you are indeed correct! US Air BAe-146 is the right answer!

23. Despite its name, Indianapolis based Lake Central Airlines flies to only three cities that are located on lakes albeit Great Lakes at that. Identify those three cities.

Let's go with four -- the three on Great Lakes being Chicago (Lake Michigan), Cleveland (Lake Erie), and Buffalo (also Lake Erie); while Detroit is technically on the Detroit River between Lake Huron and Lake Erie, a large part of the metro area actually adjoins Lake St Clair

Sounds good to me, J. Lake St. Clair definitely counts. And - call it a bonus question if you like - I've found one more city, also situated on a great lake. Care to have a guess which one it is?

Two possibilities, both on Lake Erie, come to mind: Erie PA and Toledo OH

Man oh man! When it comes to cities on lakes, You Da Man!!! Good call! ^^
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Bonus Wonder: Boeing 727 aircraft with five across seating.....

Back when United was introducing new Boeing 727-100 aircraft into its fleet, they also introduced a new service featuring the 727: One-Class Red Carpet

http://www.departedflights.com/UApitchyourtent64.html

I'm pretty sure the seat configuration was 2-3 throughout 727 with regard to this One-Class Red Carpet service as another United ad at the time concerning their Red, White & Blue service compared the White a.k.a. Standard service featuring 2-3 seating on the DC8 with the One-Class service.

http://www.departedflights.com/UAredwhiteblue64b.html

BTW, United's One-Class Red Carpet service did not last too long as its B727-100 aircraft were then reconfigured to more traditional 2-2 seating in F and 3-3 seating in Y.

The other airline was Air Atlanta which made this statement in 1984 concerning their 727 coach cabin:

"The coach section of our Boeing 727 has been reconfigured from the usual 3 and 3 coach seating to 2 and 3......"

Very good, JL! United was the one I was pretty sure about. I totally spaced on Air Atlanta however, which I once flew on in 1985.

There is, however, at least one more airline - I even have a photo of its 727 in the 2-3 configuration. Which one could it be?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
31. Identify the three French airlines that flew nonstop from Paris to Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe
I am going to guess

Air France (of course)
UTA
AOM
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
31. Identify the three French airlines that flew nonstop from Paris to Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe

I am going to guess

Air France (of course)
UTA
AOM

You're off to a good start, YVR. Air France and Air Outre Mer are correct. However, to the best of my knowledge UTA (Unknown Time of Arrival) never did serve the Caribbean. Their realm was Africa, Asia and the Pacific. Please have another guess at that third airline.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: BA
even in 1974.

Two years later, I inherited $3000.00 and booked a First Class seat aboard a Qantas 747 routing YVR-SFO-HNL. That flight lived up to its billing. You can read all about it right HERE
Memories of a trip, also up front in a Qantas 747-200B, 20 years later. There were still a few of their newest ones around then, and as our Australian client was paying for the trip that was an up-front round-the-world routing I achieved. If it's an Australian client you use an Australian airline, Virgin Atlantic LHR-LHX combined with QF the rest of the way.

Mostly 747-400s by then, but the Brisbane to Singapore flight, almost a tag in Qantas terms, was an original 747-200B. As nice an interior as its younger brethren. I recall the IFE showed some significant manual navigation around upper level cu-nim storm clouds visible on the far horizon (an approach I'm afraid some airline accountants view as an unnecessary expense nowadays) as we crossed the Northern Territories, in "The Wet", on what was actually midsummers day afternoon, just before Christmas.

The menus on their flights looked pretty much the same as the ones in that post from long ago. I do recall that on the long LAX-SYD daylight leg the lunch and dinner menus were pretty much the same, fortunately with several choices.

Qantas in those days was actually the No 2 airline at Singapore, after Singapore AL, a hub with flights to all major Australian cities, several European ones, and also Asian points like Hong Kong. They even beat British Airways on local Singapore to London passenger numbers. Aspects all gone.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:13 am

I am going to guess

Air France (of course)
UTA
AOM

You're off to a good start, YVR. Air France and Air Outre Mer are correct. However, to the best of my knowledge UTA (Unknown Time of Arrival) never did serve the Caribbean. Their realm was Africa, Asia and the Pacific. Please have another guess at that third airline
I believe the third carrier would be Air Liberte, also running DC-10s like AOM. They also provided and crewed the DC-10 aircraft for Cubana's flights from Europe to Havana, which had mostly given up their IL62s by this time.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I believe the third carrier would be Air Liberte, also running DC-10s like AOM. They also provided and crewed the DC-10 aircraft for Cubana's flights from Europe to Havana, which had mostly given up their IL62s by this time.
Speaking of AOM and Cuba, here's a bonus quiz item:

At one point, AOM was operating a DC-10 departure from Havana which made an intermediate stop en route to France. This flight was only operated once a week. Identify this intermediate stop which was in the western hemisphere but was not in Cuba.

And with that, I'm off to LFT for a ride on an AA Eagle CRJ900 up to DFW.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

31. Identify the three French airlines that flew nonstop from Paris to Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe.

Air France and AOM have already been identified

Per the schedule I reference, the third carrier was not Air Liberte. I believe the airline in question merged with AOM to later form Air Liberte or - as it was later known - Air Lib. I might as well tap in here as frankly, there are no other options that come to mind.

Again, per the schedule I reference, that airline was Minerve. WHBM, perhaps you might be able to shed a bit more light on this merger. (Of course I could be entirely wrong and perhaps Air Liberte was a stand-alone outfit)
And now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to board N518AS for the two stop flight from Ketchikan up to Anchorage. Lots of rain down here - on average 141 inches per year. By contrast, total precipitation in Fairbanks thus far this year is less than 7 inches.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 26, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to board N518AS for the two stop flight from Ketchikan up to Anchorage. Lots of rain down here - on average 141 inches per year. By contrast, total precipitation in Fairbanks thus far this year is less than 7 inches.
No rain at DFW yesterday afternoon and evening....although the thermometer in our rental car registered 107 degrees F as we were driving back to the airport. I think the real air temp was actually a few degrees less....but it was a bit warm, to be sure.

The usual billion plus dollars worth of jet equipment was on view at DFW, of course, including at least four MD-80 aircraft in the old AA paint scheme but with "N" numbers ending in TW. They are probably marked for early extinction, I would imagine, and will be ferried to Roswell or some other boneyard in the not too distant future. Not too many AA B757-200s on view (I counted two but both were sporting the new AA livery and looked to be freshly painted and thus quite fetching); however, AA A321 aircraft were in rabbit-like abundance including many of the latest model with the real winglets plus one older A321 still in the US Airways livery but with American titles on the fuselage. And, of course, a fair number of AA 777 aircraft along with several 787s. Plus, a very large red and white airplane with a huge kangaroo on its tail. I'm looking forward to Seat 2A's report concerning his future front cabin experience on QF 8.

And I noticed something else at DFW from the aerial skywalk linking the east and west terminals: vestiges of the old and original people mover system at DFW, built long before the current Skylink system was introduced. I believe the old system ran on rubber tires along concrete pathways. Several of these converging pathways can be seen from the aforementioned skywalk linking Terminal D with Terminals A and C. Anybody remember this old thing? It reminded me of the original below ground people mover system at Houston Intercontinental which also initially ran on rubber tires and was nicknamed the "Toonerville Trolley" as it was not very reliable. It was upgraded some years later and I believe is still in operation at IAH.....but not so the old system at DFW.

And so, I departed the Priority Pass lounge at DFW just before sunset, made my way to the AA Eagle gates in Terminal B, boarded and settled into my comfortable leather seat in the F cabin of a CRJ900 (3A, a very nice window/aisle seat), ordered a scotch (only to be told there was no PDB service but my drink did arrive shortly after takeoff) and we were on our way for an on time arrival at LFT.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:34 pm

Well we are still in Malaga, Southern Spain, where we have not seen a cloud since arrival, and the sun roars down. +39C yesterday, and we really need to take shelter between 1200 and 1600 (notice all the midday posts). Thank you hotel for building a big pool.

that airline was Minerve. WHBM, perhaps you might be able to shed a bit more light on this merger.
Afraid that will have to wait for a BA E190 to deliver us back to London City, as that's detail not much fun entered on an iPhone
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by jlemon
... noticed ... vestiges of the old and original people mover system at DFW, built long before the current Skylink system was introduced. I believe the old system ran on rubber tires along concrete pathways. Several of these converging pathways can be seen from the aforementioned skywalk linking Terminal D with Terminals A and C. Anybody remember this old thing?
indeed I do ... my first all-nighter wandering around an airport was at DFW in Mar 1974 (IAH-SHV-GGG-DFW on a Texas Intl Convair 600, arriving ~9pm; saw the Great Pumpkin blocking in from HNL around sunrise, before departing mid-morning for MCI on a Braniff 72S and thence MCI-ORD-BOS on a TWA Convair 880)

probably around 2am I took a photo of an electric cart that was plugged into a floor-level outlet to recharge; this wouldn't be remarkable, except for what struck my slightly off-beat sense of humor ... it was directly in front of an Avis counter that had a sign reading "This auto rental counter is unmanned. Please take the AirTrain to the main terminal lobby."
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:36 pm

And I noticed something else at DFW from the aerial skywalk linking the east and west terminals: vestiges of the old and original people mover system at DFW, built long before the current Skylink system was introduced. I believe the old system ran on rubber tires along concrete pathways. Several of these converging pathways can be seen from the aforementioned skywalk linking Terminal D with Terminals A and C. Anybody remember this old thing?
Even I do. MSY-DFW-LAX in the early 1990s, among other occasions, I recall a lengthy and ponderous sightseeing trip just to get from one AA terminal to the other.

DFW in Mar 1974 ... and thence MCI-ORD-BOS on a TWA Convair 880
It never struck me that DFW and the Convair 880 might have overlapped. Did anyone (Delta ?) ever operate it to there ?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It never struck me that DFW and the Convair 880 might have overlapped. Did anyone (Delta ?) ever operate it to there ?
according to Wikipedia, DL phased out their 880s in 1973, and DFW opened to commercial service in early 1974 ...
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot recall any scheduled CV-880 operations at DFW. Delta, of course, operated the 880 into Dallas Love Field, including this interesting flight in 1962:

DL 892: San Francisco (SFO) 1:05a - 6:05a Dallas (DAL) 7:00a - 7:59a New Orleans (MSY) 9:30a - 12:50p Montego Bay (MBJ) 1:20p - 3:39p Caracas (CCS)
Op: Fridays only
Equip: CV-880
Service classes: F/R (first & tourist)

And this engenders yet another bonus quiz item......

Besides Dallas Love Field, the Convair 880 was operated in scheduled passenger service into four other airports in Texas. Identify all four airports and for bonus points identify the airlines as well. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 28, 2017 at 2:42 pm Reason: answer update

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.