Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

15. What was the longest route flown by Capitol Airlines in early 1959?

22. What were the southernmost and westernmost points served by Ozark Airlines in 1959?
15. Well, to begin with, I think you are referring to Capital Airlines and thus not Capitol Airlines as I do not think the latter began operations in the U.S. until 1970's.

Of course, there could be another Capitol Airlines that was in existence somewhere in the world in 1959....and I'm sure I'll hear about it if there was.

So back to Capital Airlines in the U.S. in 1959....

I'm tempted to say Buffalo-Miami nonstop; however, I do not think Capital had been awarded its Florida routes by the CAB by early 1959.

So let's go with Chicago Midway - New York LaGuardia flown with a Viscount.

22. No other Ozark Air Lines out there that I'm aware of in 1959 so I believe I'm on firmer ground on this one:

Southermost: Nashville

Westernmost: Wichita
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
15. What was the longest route flown by Capital Airlines in early 1959?

I'm tempted to say Buffalo-Miami nonstop; however, I do not think Capital had been awarded its Florida routes by the CAB by early 1959. So let's go with Chicago Midway - New York LaGuardia flown with a Viscount.

Interestingly, the Capital route map prefacing its schedules in the 1959 OAG I referenced indicates that Capital did fly BUF-MIA nonstop. However, a thorough check of its schedules showed no evidence of such a flight. That search did however uncover other long flights - the longest of which was not between Midway and LaGuardia. Please - amend your guess.

22. What were the southernmost and westernmost points served by Ozark Airlines in 1959?

No other Ozark Air Lines out there that I'm aware of in 1959 so I believe I'm on firmer ground on this one:

Southermost: Nashville

Westernmost: Wichita

You Da Man, jlemon!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1970 OAG

7. Identify this airline that ran ads in 1970 claiming that it:
• Had the best on-time service of any airline in North America
• Served over 100 cities in the U.S., Canada and Mexico
• Offered First Class leg room for all jet passengers
• Offered five abreast seating on all jet flights
A N S W E R E D

MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS

101. What is the common thread between these four numbers? 11 75 42 17

102. Where would you be if you were enjoying a beer at the Sourdough Bar?

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM AN EARLY 1959 OAG

11. If you were flying aboard “Sky Chief” First Class service, which airline would you be flying upon?
A N S W E R E D

12. Due to flooding, the eastbound Empire Builder is unable to continue beyond Minot. You need to be in Minneapolis by tomorrow morning. No problem – you’ll just call Northwest Airlines and book a flight. Whaaat? Northwest doesn’t fly between Minot and Minneapolis - at least not for another few years. Thankfully, there is an airline that does offer through plane service between Minot and Minneapolis via a single, daily four stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the routing and the aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
NOTE: Braniff has been correctly identified as the carrier of note. The first stop is BIS.

16. In 1959, what was the brand name for United Airlines’ enhanced First Class product as offered on trans-cons and other select markets?

17. Three airlines offered nonstop flights between New York City and Mexico City. One of them claimed to offer the fasted service between the two cities – a claim backed up by published schedules. Identify the airline that offered the fastest JFK-MEX service as well as the aircraft it operated. Additionally, identify the other two airlines and the aircraft each operated.
P A R T I A L L Y A N S W E R E D

20. If you were flying in “Golden Banner Coach”, which airline would you be flying upon?
A N S W E R E D

23. Despite its name, Indianapolis based Lake Central Airlines flies to only three cities that are located on lakes – albeit Great Lakes at that. Identify those three cities.
A N S W E R E D

24. You’ve just departed Burbank’s Lockheed Terminal and are now enjoying “Royal Cavalier Service” enroute to Chicago’s Midway Airport. Identify the airline and aircraft upon which you are flying.

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1991 OAG

26. Tired of Continental’s then lackluster service between Houston and Merida, you decide to check out the competition’s nonstop, which operates four days per week. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

27. Puerto Vallarta is well served out of Los Angeles with Aeromexico, Alaska, Delta and Mexicana all offering nonstop flights. From San Diego however, there is only a single daily nonstop flight offered. Identify the airline and the equipment operating the SAN-PVR flight.
A N S W E R E D

28. If you wanted to fly on a jet out of Ponce, Puerto Rico, it used to be you had to call Eastern Airlines. These days another airline is the sole operator of jet flights out of Ponce with nonstop flights to two mainland cities. Identify the airline operating these flights and the two destinations served.

29. What’s got 4 engines and flies daily between LAS and LAX?
A N S W E R E D

30. 727-100s are becoming increasingly rare around North American skies in 1991, but you can still book a seat aboard one on this twice weekly flight between Cleveland and Nassau. Which airline is it?

31. Identify the three French airlines that flew nonstop from Paris to Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe
A N S W E R E D

34. A dreary New York winter is suddenly made much nicer when you receive a call from friends asking if you’d care to join them on a scuba diving trip in the Cayman Islands. Can you get to Grand Cayman by tomorrow afternoon? If you can get can get a morning flight to Miami, yes. A call to your travel agent reveals a pleasant surprise however – there’s a new nonstop flight out of Kennedy that will get you into GCM at 3:45pm. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon down to Grand Cayman.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 26, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:46 am

17. I'll guess Air France as the 3rd operator, with L-1649s.

12. I agonized over this one for a while, then I remembered that in 1959, Braniff had yet to drop some of the smaller Mid Continent stations. I'll guess a Braniff Convair 340, via Bismarck, Sioux Falls, Sioux City, and Rochester.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
...FROM A 1970 OAG
23. Despite its name, Indianapolis based Lake Central Airlines flies to only three cities that are located on lakes – albeit Great Lakes at that. Identify those three cities.
23- let's go with four -- the three on Great Lakes being Chicago (Lake Michigan), Cleveland (Lake Erie), and Buffalo (also Lake Erie); while Detroit is technically on the Detroit River between Lake Huron and Lake Erie, a large part of the metro area actually adjoins Lake St Clair

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3419319,-83.0178739,10z?hl=en

... FROM A 1991 OAG
27. Puerto Vallarta is well served out of Los Angeles with Aeromexico, Alaska, Delta and Mexicana all offering nonstop flights. From San Diego however, there is only a single daily nonstop flight offered. Identify the airline and the equipment operating the SAN-PVR flight.
27- Aero California with a DC-9-10

29- I'm wondering if this was the swan song for the ex-PSA BAe 146s in USAir livery ... I rode N175US on this route in 1988

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 24, 2017 at 11:15 am Reason: correct log date and add aircraft reference
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

15. What was the longest route flown by Capitol Airlines in early 1959?
15. Well then....if it's not LGA-MDW, perhaps we should head down to Dixie on a Viscount departing from just across the river from NYC:

Newark (EWR) - Birmingham (BHM)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
15- I'll toss in a vote for a Viscount operating DCA-MIA
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7. This may be the "Top Banana in the West": Hughes Airwest.

I'll also bet the inherited Pacific Air Lines B727-100 aircraft were gone from the fleet by this time as I believe Air West did not operate them very long but instead opted to keep the DC-9-10s as well as adding DC-9-30s in addition to keeping the Fairchild F-27 turboprops prior to the name change to Hughes Airwest. B727-200s would come later but I don't think the 72S had joined the RW fleet by 1970.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11. If you were flying aboard “Sky Chief” First Class service, which airline would you be flying upon?

20. If you were flying in “Golden Banner Coach”, which airline would you be flying upon?
11. & 20. In both cases, I believe TWA was the airline in question.

I also remember hearing about Trans World's first class service on board their Constellation aircraft from my grandfather and grandmother on my Mom's side of the family. It sounded quite elegant and I resolved to fly in first class when I got older. Years later, my first flight in the front cabin was on board a Braniff BAC One-Eleven followed a short time later by a flight in first on board a Braniff B727-100. And many years later, I finally flew on Trans World on board a DC-9-10 in first connecting to a TWA B767-300 flight in first as well.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
17. Three airlines offered nonstop flights between New York City and Mexico City. One of them claimed to offer the fasted service between the two cities – a claim backed up by published schedules. Identify the airline that offered the fastest JFK-MEX service as well as the aircraft it operated. Additionally, identify the other two airlines and the aircraft each operated.

Note: jrl767 has correctly identified the first and third fastest airlines and equipment...

I'll guess Air France as the 3rd operator, with L-1649s.

Correct! Here's the schedule breakdown:

AERONAVES DE MEXICO Britannia 6:30pm – 11:59pm (5:29)
AIR FRANCE Super Constellation 11:00am 4:55pm (5:55)
EASTERN DC-7 10:30am – 5:15pm (6:45)

12. Due to flooding, the eastbound Empire Builder is unable to continue beyond Minot. You need to be in Minneapolis by tomorrow morning. No problem – you’ll just call Northwest Airlines and book a flight. Whaaat? Northwest doesn’t fly between Minot and Minneapolis - at least not for another few years. Thankfully, there is an airline that does offer through plane service between Minot and Minneapolis via a single, daily four stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the routing and the aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

I agonized over this one for a while, then I remembered that in 1959, Braniff had yet to drop some of the smaller Mid Continent stations. I'll guess a Braniff Convair 340, via Bismarck, Sioux Falls, Sioux City, and Rochester.

You're off to a good start, Joe! Braniff is correct and yes - the first stop is Bismarck. After that however, we're looking at a different routing with different equipment. Please, continue on...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

Let's go with four -- the three on Great Lakes being Chicago (Lake Michigan), Cleveland (Lake Erie), and Buffalo (also Lake Erie); while Detroit is technically on the Detroit River between Lake Huron and Lake Erie, a large part of the metro area actually adjoins Lake St Clair

Sounds good to me, J. Lake St. Clair definitely counts. And - call it a bonus question if you like - I've found one more city, also situated on a great lake. Care to have a guess which one it is?

Aero California with a DC-9-10

Correct! Here's the schedule:

JR 121 SAN-PVR 250p – 740p DC9 Nonstop Luncheon

I'm wondering if this was the swan song for the ex-PSA BAe 146s in USAir livery ... I rode N175US on this route in 1988

"Wondering" would suggest that you've still not settled upon a set answer just yet. As such, it would only be polite to let you wonder on until you feel more certain as to your choice. Good luck, J!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jlemon: Well then....if it's not LGA-MDW, perhaps we should head down to Dixie on a Viscount departing from just across the river from NYC:

Newark (EWR) - Birmingham (BHM)

Per jrl767: I'll toss in a vote for a Viscount operating DCA-MIA

Sorry boys - I just double checked the schedules and you're both wrong on this one.

Please - guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 25, 2017 at 1:59 pm
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This may be the "Top Banana in the West": Hughes Airwest.

I'll also bet the inherited Pacific Air Lines B727-100 aircraft were gone from the fleet by this time as I believe Air West did not operate them very long but instead opted to keep the DC-9-10s as well as adding DC-9-30s in addition to keeping the Fairchild F-27 turboprops prior to the name change to Hughes Airwest. B727-200s would come later but I don't think the 72S had joined the RW fleet by 1970.

Correct!

Bonus Wonder: I believe only two U.S. airlines operated the 727 in a 5-across configuration. One I'm sure about, the other pretty sure. As a casual check of the internet has failed to turn up the answer, anyone care to wonder about this a bit more?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In both cases, I believe TWA was the airline in question.

You are correct, Sir!

I also remember hearing about Trans World's first class service on board their Constellation aircraft from my grandfather and grandmother on my Mom's side of the family. It sounded quite elegant and I resolved to fly in first class when I got older. Years later, my first flight in the front cabin was on board a Braniff BAC One-Eleven followed a short time later by a flight in first on board a Braniff B727-100. And many years later, I finally flew on Trans World on board a DC-9-10 in first connecting to a TWA B767-300 flight in first as well.

And under the golden banner of Discussion per this thread's title, I thought I'd share my first First Class experience. To wit, I saved up $34.00 and upgraded my trip home from LAX to DEN aboard a Continental DC-10 back in 1974. Dinner was served and I recall being a bit underwhelmed as I'd hoped for a service more along the lines of what I'd seen in the airline brochures. Alas - a two hour flight was a bit too short to roll out the Gold Table Service - even in 1974.

Two years later, I inherited $3000.00 and booked a First Class seat aboard a Qantas 747 routing YVR-SFO-HNL. That flight lived up to its billing. You can read all about it right HERE

I'm looking forward to comparing that flight of old with my upcoming First Class flight aboard Qantas' A380 between Dallas and Sydney in September.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bonus Wonder: Boeing 727 aircraft with five across seating.....

Back when United was introducing new Boeing 727-100 aircraft into its fleet, they also introduced a new service featuring the 727: One-Class Red Carpet

http://www.departedflights.com/UApitchyourtent64.html

I'm pretty sure the seat configuration was 2-3 throughout 727 with regard to this One-Class Red Carpet service as another United ad at the time concerning their Red, White & Blue service compared the White a.k.a. Standard service featuring 2-3 seating on the DC8 with the One-Class service.

http://www.departedflights.com/UAredwhiteblue64b.html

BTW, United's One-Class Red Carpet service did not last too long as its B727-100 aircraft were then reconfigured to more traditional 2-2 seating in F and 3-3 seating in Y.

The other airline was Air Atlanta which made this statement in 1984 concerning their 727 coach cabin:

"The coach section of our Boeing 727 has been reconfigured from the usual 3 and 3 coach seating to 2 and 3......"

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 25, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.