Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
predecessor of Norwegian Airlines ... low-cost high-stress TATL travel for the REALLY old-timers
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:19 pm

Here is a mid-week batch of questions without years given. Enjoy.

1. A UK airline operated BAC One-Elevens bearing both its titles as well as the titles of a North American Airlines. What were the two airlines? ANSWERED

2. What is the only European airline to have operated the Ford Tri-Motor? ANSWERED

3. What two European military forces operated the Ford Tri-Motor? ANSWERED

4. Trans Global Airlines was a fictional commercial airline in a book written by a Canadian author. From what real airline did the producers lease its Boeing 707-349C when the book was made into a movie? ANSWERED

5. At what real airport was Airport filmed? ANSWERED

6. In the movie, D.O. Guerrero exploded a brief case bomb. Landing at what real airport did the aircraft come to its real end? [COLOR="Blue"] ANSWERED

7. What was the only mainline turboprop operated by Air Florida? ANSWERED

8. Other than 737 variants, what aircraft type was once operated by Southwest Airlines (WN)? From what airline(s) were they leased? ANSWERED

9. What product was Bob Crandall referring to when he said “We thought originally it would be something that firms would buy for top employees. It soon became apparent that the public was smarter than we were.”? ANSWERED

10. Fill in the blanks: “As a result of _________ unilateral decision to withdraw from its commitment to acquire substantially all of _______ assets, effective midnight, Wednesday, Nov. 13, _____will cease operations.” ANSWERED

11. Name four airlines which have provided passenger service at Burke Lakefront Airport (BKL)? ANSWERED

12. A United owned DC-6B operated by Braniff carried the livery of what third airline? What was its registration number and routing? Hint: This was an interline service between three airlines. The route was entirely west of the Mississippi and passed through several of today's major airline hubs. ANSWERED

Last edited by Indelaware; Jun 29, 2017 at 1:26 pm
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Indelaware
11. Name four airlines which have provided passenger service at Burke Lakefront Airport (BKL)?
Ultimate Air Shuttle, technically public charter, to Cincinnati Lunken (LUK).
Wright, which was based there. I lived in northern Ohio at the time but the only Wright flight I took was from Hopkins (CLE).
Midway, fairly briefly, before switching to Hopkins.
Fischer Brothers, variously as Allegheny Commuter, Northwest Airlink, and Midway Commuter.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
7. What was the only mainline turboprop operated by Air Florida?

8. Other than 737 variants, what aircraft type was once operated by Southwest Airlines (WN)? From what airline(s) were they leased?

10. Fill in the blanks: “As a result of _________ unilateral decision to withdraw from its commitment to acquire substantially all of _______ assets, effective midnight, Wednesday, Nov. 13, _____will cease operations.”
7. Lockheed L-188 Electra turboprop aircraft

8. Boeing 727-200's from Braniff

10. Northwest Airlines'; Midway Airlines; 1991
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: BA
Very good and interesting questions

1. A UK airline operated BAC One-Elevens bearing both its titles as well as the titles of a North American Airlines. What were the two airlines?
This was British Island, a One-Eleven operator from London Gatwick, who among other contracts operated a shuttle for Air Florida connecting with their Miami flight over to Amsterdam and back. The Air Florida titling was very small and most passengers probably missed it. Once the morning round trip was done, the aircraft operated on the rest of BIA's flights, so typically turned up in one or two Mediterranean points later in the day.

Air Florida started London services with a DC8-62, and became quite a success, moving on quickly to DC-10s on multiple flights a day from Miami to Gatwick, Manchester, and various European points.

2. What is the only European airline to have operated the Ford Tri-Motor?
I think it was shipped over in crates to CSA, the Czechoslovakian airline, running from Prague and Bratislava to Zagreb in about 1930. It replaced Farman Goliaths, a quite widely used French timber-built airliner of the 1920s, which were assembled by Czech manufacturer Letov. The Tri-Motor only lasted a few months before it crashed, and the route went back to the Farmans.

Bonus question. Is this it ?
Attached Images  

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 28, 2017 at 9:10 am
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

3. What two European military forces operated the Ford Tri-Motor?
I believe the Spanish air force operated the airplane. And the other military operator? Well, I think it was the Royal Air Force (RAF).
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:30 am

After a lengthy hiatus, I've returned to this website. Here are my guesses for the latest quiz items:

4. Flying Tiger

5. Minneapolis. At one time, there was an exhibit of photos from when the movie was filmed at MSP in the terminal. I don't know whether or not it's still there.

9. AAirpass.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Ultimate Air Shuttle, technically public charter, to Cincinnati Lunken (LUK).
Wright, which was based there. I lived in northern Ohio at the time but the only Wright flight I took was from Hopkins (CLE).
Midway, fairly briefly, before switching to Hopkins.
Fischer Brothers, variously as Allegheny Commuter, Northwest Airlink, and Midway Commuter.
Correct on Ultimate and Wright. Midway started their Cleveland service at BKL but temporarily moved to CLE during runway re-pavement. After the runway at BKL was re-opened, ML served both, as I recall, for a period before consolidating at CLE owing to hirer seat sales there. Fischer did, indeed, fly for NW. I do not recall that it flew for AL/US nor that AL/US flew to BKL, but I will take your word for it. In addition to these carriers, Comair also served BKL as did a second public charter operator, Destination One.

Originally Posted by teddybear99
7. Lockheed L-188 Electra turboprop aircraft

8. Boeing 727-200's from Braniff

10. Northwest Airlines'; Midway Airlines; 1991
7. Correct.

8. WN did, indeed, operate 722-200s. However, later WN leased additional ones from a different airline. Any ideas?

10. The third blank actually was, “Midway.” But I’ll give it to you anyway.

Originally Posted by WHBM
Very good and interesting questions

This was British Island, a One-Eleven operator from London Gatwick, who among other contracts operated a shuttle for Air Florida connecting with their Miami flight over to Amsterdam and back. The Air Florida titling was very small and most passengers probably missed it. Once the morning round trip was done, the aircraft operated on the rest of BIA's flights, so typically turned up in one or two Mediterranean points later in the day.

Air Florida started London services with a DC8-62, and became quite a success, moving on quickly to DC-10s on multiple flights a day from Miami to Gatwick, Manchester, and various European points.

I think it was shipped over in crates to CSA, the Czechoslovakian airline, running from Prague and Bratislava to Zagreb in about 1930. It replaced Farman Goliaths, a quite widely used French timber-built airliner of the 1920s, which were assembled by Czech manufacturer Letov. The Tri-Motor only lasted a few months before it crashed, and the route went back to the Farmans.

Bonus question. Is this it ?
Correct on Air Florida/Island Air. Thanks for the CSA photo. And, as you have asked, I'll post a few more questions in the coming days.

I have read one source that suggests that the reason that Ford did not have a greater penetration into Europe was owing to a patent dispute with Junkers. A CZ court ruled against Ford. The loss of the first aircraft with only one person walking away alive certainly did not help their sales.

Originally Posted by jlemon
I believe the Spanish air force operated the airplane. And the other military operator? Well, I think it was the Royal Air Force (RAF).
Correct on both. The 271st RAF operated a single TriMotor circa 1940.

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
After a lengthy hiatus, I've returned to this website. Here are my guesses for the latest quiz items:

4. Flying Tiger

5. Minneapolis. At one time, there was an exhibit of photos from when the movie was filmed at MSP in the terminal. I don't know whether or not it's still there.

9. AAirpass.
Yes, on all three responses. There are still some passengers with AA’s lifetime AAirpass which provides unlimited, confirmed first class seats. The passes sold, as I recall, for $250,000.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

8. WN did, indeed, operate 722-200s. However, later WN leased additional ones from a different airline. Any ideas?
I believe Southwest leased B727-200 aircraft from People Express as well. And BTW, I remember seeing WN operated 72S aircraft back in the day at HOU, LAX and MSY.

And here's a bonus quiz item: besides HOU and MSY, name four other destinations served by Southwest with the B727-200 in 1979 (Hint: WN did not begin serving California until the early 1980's). DAL, ELP, ___ , ___ (not ABQ, AUS, CRP, MAF, OKC or SAT)

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 29, 2017 at 11:14 am Reason: bonus quiz item
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... Fischer did, indeed, fly for NW. I do not recall that it flew for AL/US
Fischer Brothers did indeed fly as Allegheny Commuter with, among other aircraft, the de Haviland Heron ... in Dec 75 / Jan 76 I bought a three-week "Liberty Pass" for unlimited systemwide travel and managed to fly on every type of aircraft in the AL fleet including a turnaround between Cleveland and Mansfield (MFD) on a Heron
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
Fischer Brothers did indeed fly as Allegheny Commuter with, among other aircraft, the de Haviland Heron ... in Dec 75 / Jan 76 I bought a three-week "Liberty Pass" for unlimited systemwide travel and managed to fly on every type of aircraft in the AL fleet including a turnaround between Cleveland and Mansfield (MFD) on a Heron
Took a very nice ride on board a de Havilland DH.114 Heron myself one fine day many years ago. Boarded at LAX and flew up the coast to San Luis Obispo via a stop at Santa Maria. The air carrier was Swift Aire and the Heron is definitely the smallest four engine airplane I've ever had the pleasure of flying on.

And here's another bonus quiz item.....

There was a stretched version of the DH.114 Heron. Identify an airline that operated this version.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 28, 2017 at 2:41 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:30 pm

Correct on Ultimate and Wright. Midway started their Cleveland service at BKL but temporarily moved to CLE during runway re-pavement. After the runway at BKL was re-opened, ML served both, as I recall, for a period before consolidating at CLE owing to hirer seat sales there. Fischer did, indeed, fly for NW. I do not recall that it flew for AL/US nor that AL/US flew to BKL, but I will take your word for it. In addition to these carriers, Comair also served BKL as did a second public charter operator, Destination One.
I think, although I have nothing specific to cite, that there was passenger service to BKL earlier than any of these. The venerable newscaster Dorothy Fuldheim described flying into Lakefront from, I think, one of the NYC airports. From her mention of being called to deplane before the other passengers - because she was to appear live on the air very soon after - I thought when I read it that it was a commercial passenger flight, not private, and it would have been in the 1950s or early 1960s. I don't remember any details and I don't think that she gave them.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
The Midway commuter services was also between Mansfield and Cleveland, although it could be argued that it was no longer Fischer Brothers since the assets of the parent company, GCS, were acquired by Midway after Fischer Brothers lost the Airlink contract in 1986. Midway formed a new subsidiary, GCS Air Service, to offer Essential Air Service using Cessna 402C and Beech Queen Air equipment.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:03 pm

I believe Southwest leased B727-200 aircraft from People Express as well. And BTW, I remember seeing WN operated 72S aircraft back in the day at HOU, LAX and MSY.

And here's a bonus quiz item: besides HOU and MSY, name four other destinations served by Southwest with the B727-200 in 1979 (Hint: WN did not begin serving California until the early 1980's).
DAL, SAT, AUS, ELP. DAL-HOU was the principal route.

The Midway commuter services was also between Mansfield and Cleveland, although it could be argued that it was no longer Fischer Brothers since the assets of the parent company, GCS, were acquired by Midway after Fischer Brothers lost the Airlink contract in 1986. Midway formed a new subsidiary, GCS Air Service, to offer Essential Air Service using Cessna 402C and Beech Queen Air equipment.
Yes, I remember ML Commuter serving those points, but did not connect it to Fischer.

I think, although I have nothing specific to cite, that there was passenger service to BKL earlier than any of these. The venerable newscaster Dorothy Fuldheim described flying into Lakefront from, I think, one of the NYC airports. From her mention of being called to deplane before the other passengers - because she was to appear live on the air very soon after - I thought when I read it that it was a commercial passenger flight, not private, and it would have been in the 1950s or early 1960s. I don't remember any details and I don't think that she gave them.
The Encyclopedia of Cleveland history writes that "Commercial operations included Bolton's Helicopter Services beginning in 1954, Tag Airlines in 1956, WRIGHT AIRLINES in 1966, Midway Airlines in 1979-80, and Beaver Air Service in 1984". Anyone have the insides of a Tag timetable? Here is the cover:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...AGAirlines.jpg

https://case.edu/ech/articles/b/burk...front-airport/

Last edited by Indelaware; Jun 28, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The following have a time line of 1973. You will be embarking on a business trip that will take you from Montreal to south Florida (already answered), then to Chicago, then to Panama City, Panama and back to Chicago, and finally to Dallas. All of your flights are operated on a daily basis.

In every case, you will be flying in first class. And as part of your answer concerning two of these quiz items, you are asked to provide the total number of first class seats on board the aircraft you will be flying on as part of your complete response. Be sure to include the number of seats in F in order for your response to be considered.

28. You will depart Miami (MIA) at 7:50 am and arrive at Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at 11:40 am. Two intermediate stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier , the two stops in the order in which they will be made, the aircraft and the total number of seats in first class. ANSWERED

29. You will depart Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at 11:00 am and arrive in Panama City, Panama (PTY) at 5:55 pm. Your return flight will depart PTY at 8:30 am and arrive at ORD at 3:50 pm. The same two intermediate stops will be made en route in each direction. Name the airline, the stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment. The air carrier was not Air Jamaica or Braniff International, the equipment wasn't a 707, 720 or DC8 and the two stops were made in the Caribbean at MBJ and KIN. The equipment was a Boeing 727.

30. You will depart Chicago Midway (MDW) at 5:40 pm and arrive at Dallas Love Field (DAL) at 10:19 pm. Three intermediate stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier, the three stops in the order in which they will be made, the equipment and the total number of seats in first class.
Delta operating a _____. The aircraft type was a twin engine jet but wasn't a DC-9-30. One of the stops was MEM but the flight did not stop at STL or LIT.
As Indelaware has been gracious enough to post a number of quiz items with hopefully some more to follow, I'll now issue last call for the above with some hints. And should there be no takers, I'll provide answers this Friday afternoon.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 29, 2017 at 2:05 pm Reason: answer update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.