Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Hmm. Still on the DC6 in 1966. So no turboprops. But came to jets later, so an established carrier. International flights. Western hemisphere. Didn't have the Caravelle but it would have (presumably) suited their route structure.

And, just maybe, a carrier who got mentioned recently and got the attention of our quizmaster. And knowing them, an explicit DC-6 (so secondhand from a US carrier), not the more common DC-6B. And possibly in 1966 would be principally up against Pan Am to Miami etc, and who were still running the DC-6B until that year on shorter runs, when their 727s came along.

Aviateca of Guatemala ?
1. Correct! The artist's rendition of a Caravelle in the Aviateca livery appeared in their June 1, 1966 system timetable which was also entitled "Travel like a Mayan King!" And that completes my trio of quiz items concerning Aviateca (GU).
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Here is a question for all:

In 1967, this airline started a new route from Seattle through St. Louis, which they were using as a "gateway to the west" as well as a "gateway to the east." They named this route "The Space Corridor."

Where did this flight terminate and name the two stops in between St. Louis and the termination city?
Eastern ran a 727 on this route: SEA-STL-Huntsville (HSV)-Orlando(MCO)-Melbourne(MLB)

Originally Posted by jlemon
3. An excellent round up of local service as well as intrastate air carriers in the U.S. back in 1968, sir. However, you missed one so there is your clue.
of course I did
3- Trans-Texas
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I spent a couple hours yesterday at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the National air and Space Museaum at Washington Dulles

here are a couple questions inspired by the 1/20 scale model of a United Airlines DC-6:
A - what was unique about the figures of the passengers in the cabin?
B - like most UA aircraft of that era, the dark blue speed stripe over the windows had the word "Mainliner" in white between the aft door and the horizontal stabilizer (it's on the other side of the model which doesn't have a cutaway to show the interior); in most cases that I can recall, it was preceded by the aircraft type (e.g., "Convair" or, later, "DC-8 Jet") ... what was different about this DC-6 livery? (and more importantly, can anyone explain why it was different? I have a speculation but no authoritative answer)
Attached Images  

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 18, 2017 at 7:45 am
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
How about Texas International on a DC9-10 to Vera Cruz, Mexico.

How about Midway-Southwest Airlines, which was a startup on paper only at the time. It was going to be a subsidiary of Southwest Airlines. The airline never came to fruition and the planes ordered eventually went to Southwest Airlines.
23. Correct! Here's the complete sched.....

TI 929: Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 10:45a - 11:34a Houston (IAH) 11:55a - 12:37p Corpus Christi (CRP) 12:55p - 1:25p McAllen (MFE) 1:45p - 2:02p Veracruz (VER)
Op: DFW-MFE Daily, MFE-VER Thursdays and Sundays only
Equip: DC9

Texas International and its predecessor Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) previously served Veracruz via a stop in Tampico with Convair 600 equipment (TTa converted its Convair 240 aircraft to Rolls-Royce turboprop power) for a number of years. The approach into Veracruz located on the Gulf of Mexico on a clear day can be quite scenic as one passes near Pico de Orizaba, a huge volcano with a summit elevation of 18,481 feet (5,636 meters) located in rather close proximity to the west. Pico de Orizaba is the highest peak in Mexico and also the third highest peak in North America.

24. No, it was not Midway-Southwest Airlines.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 18, 2017 at 10:53 am Reason: added complete TI 929 sched info
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
Eastern ran a 727 on this route: SEA-STL-Huntsville (HSV)-Orlando(MCO)-Melbourne(MLB)

of course I did
3- Trans-Texas
Yep, Eastern sure did. We were living at the time in Huntsville back when my Dad was a young up and coming aerospace engineer with Boeing working on the Saturn V moon rocket project at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. EA set this route up to support the NASA Apollo program. They were also flying daily Huntsville (HSV) - New Orleans (MSY) - Houston Hobby (HOU) service with a DC9-30 "Whisperjet" at the time.

3. Correct! The photo accompanying the ad was of a Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) DC9 touching down. The airline called this offer the "Consecutive Executive". One could fly as much as one wanted to all 62 domestic destinations served by TT at the time on a Monday through Friday basis.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 18, 2017 at 10:56 am Reason: additional info
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

24. In 1978, this air carrier filed with the CAB for passenger authority from Chicago Midway Airport (MDW) to 23 cities. The operator stated in its annual report at the time that used Boeing 727-100 aircraft as well as a new twin jet type would be used for the new service. It then subsequently ordered and took delivery of new Boeing 737-200 equipment. However, it never commenced the planned new passenger service from Midway. Name the air carrier.

25. Identify an airline that was operating American Eagle code share service with DHC-6 Twin Otter turboprop equipment on behalf of AA in 1985.
Just two more to go on a beautiful Father's Day morning. And Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there.....
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

Correct, I guess I will need to dig deeper to stump this crowd....

Last edited by teddybear99; Jun 18, 2017 at 8:24 am
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We had a quiz item several years ago concerning this Eastern service.....
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hey Teddy - a multitude of thanks for at least giving it a go! Please do continue!

While it's true that most of us are a bunch of inveterate OAG readers, we still get stumped now and then. Between departedflights.com and timetableimages.com you'll find plenty of material from which to formulate questions. Hopefully most participants attempt to answer the questions without easily looking up the answers on the internet - akin to playing catch with a four year old child. Satisfying but not particularly challenging.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say we all look forward to your next batch of questions! ^
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
They are all white, heterosexual couples.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
And possibly all men and all in business suits (which might be appropriate for the "Men only" New York to Chicago, which was a DC-6 at the start, before the Caravelle).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
And possibly all men and all in business suits (which might be appropriate for the "Men only" New York to Chicago, which was a DC-6 at the start, before the Caravelle).
There is definitely four female figures in that model (not counting the FA).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... 1/20 scale model of a United Airlines DC-6:
There is definitely four female figures in that model (not counting the FA).
neither of these are anywhere close to being on the right track (at least according to the placard at the base of the display)

HINT: think about the climate of the late 1950s with respect to marketing, and where a model like this might have been seen
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmmm.....well, there is a gentleman pointing his now archaic film camera out the window.....and I'll bet he is taking a photo of a bright and shiny new Caravelle on the ramp......

However, I really have no clue with regard to the significance of this model although the passengers appear to be dressed in formal business attire and perhaps it was meant to be displayed at a major travel agency at the time......
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmmm.....well, there is a gentleman pointing his now archaic film camera out the window.....and I'll bet he is taking a photo of a bright and shiny new Caravelle on the ramp...... ... perhaps it was meant to be displayed at a major travel agency at the time ...
I suspect this model actually dates from the mid-50s, so if the subject of the photo was an airliner, it was more likely one of United's first DC-7s (or maybe even a Boeing Stratocruiser)

I also suspect the model was indeed featured at a travel agency, or perhaps a UA ticket office in a major downtown area such as New York City or Washington DC or Los Angeles or Chicago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.