Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old May 3, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

......and I'm sure WHBM has mentioned a few from across the pond as well)

speaking of whom ... has anyone heard of or from our London colleague lately?
I did hear from WHBM not too long ago and he is alive and well. I also hope he will be able rejoin us when his schedule permits.

And as for Leg 4, how about Eastern operating a DC-9-30 from Fort Lauderdale to Washington National?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
updated what we know --
LEG 1 - HNL - OAK, WO, D10
LEG 2 - SJC - BUR, OC or PS, M80
LEG 3 - LAX - MIA, PA, 747-100
LEG 4 - FLL - DCA, EA, D9S
LEG 5 - BWI - NYC metro area

** CHANGE OF CLUE -- there are actually FOUR possible airlines
(AL is one), operating three different models of turboprop aircraft (i.e., two airlines use one model) (DH7 is one) **

LEG 6 - TATL flight,
departing NYC metro area, airline of the destination country or Fifth Freedom carrier, different variant of 747 (remember this is 1983)
LEG 7 - intra-Europe flight, airline of the destination country or Fifth Freedom carrier
LEG 8 - intra-Europe flight, arriving LGW, airline of the destination country or Fifth Freedom carrier
LEG 9 - LHR - YMX, AC, L15
LEG 10 - YUL - ORD, AA, 727
LEG 11 - MDW - DFW, ML, DC9
LEG 12 - DAL - HOU, WN, 737
LEG 13 - IAH - SFO, UA or CO, 72S
LEG 14 - SFO - HNL, 6P, D8S

Last edited by jrl767; May 3, 2017 at 2:41 pm
Old May 3, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by jrl767
3- LAX CORRECT; JFK INCORRECT for this leg; AA INCORRECT for this leg; 747-100 CORRECT
Based on this hint, and with the rest of the North American legs covered, this would put the arriving flight of Leg 5 at JFK unless the hint was a mistake. I would then assume EWR would be the departure leg to Europe. However this does not follow the departure airport being east of the arrival airport as EWR is west of JFK.

And along the same lines IAD is West of DCA, so my guess for leg 5 would be BWI-JFK on Allegeheny Airlines DH7 as one of the airlines.

For leg 4, Jlemon beat me to the other airline on this route FLL-DCA

Last edited by teddybear99; May 3, 2017 at 10:43 am
Old May 3, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by jlemon
I did hear from WHBM not too long ago and he is alive and well. I also hope he will be able rejoin us when his schedule permits.
good to know
And as for Leg 4, how about Eastern operating a DC-9-30 from Fort Lauderdale to Washington National?
CORRECT
Old May 3, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Based on this hint, and with the rest of the North American legs covered, this would put the arriving flight of Leg 5 at JFK unless the hint was a mistake. I would then assume EWR would be the departure leg to Europe. However this does not follow the departure airport being east of the arrival airport as EWR is west of JFK.

And along the same lines IAD is West of DCA, so my guess for leg 5 would be BWI-JFK on Allegeheny Airlines DH7 as one of the airlines.
mea culpa, erroneous response: JFK should have just read INCORRECT

Leg 5: BWI CORRECT JFK INCORRECT AL CORRECT (1 of 4) DH7 CORRECT (1 of 3)

even with the multiple airlines and equipment, this leg should now be pretty much a tap-in
Old May 4, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Now it makes more sense.

Leg 6 JFK - Milan Malpensa (MXP?) on an Alitalia 747 Combi
Leg 7 Milan Linate (LIN?) to Paris Charles De Gaulle (CDG) on an Air France A300.
Leg 8 Paris Orly (ORY) to London Gatwick (LGW) on Sierra Leone 707 (5th freedom carrier)

Seeing that Allegheny did not fly BWI-EWR, I will assume LGA, however I see 4 airlines flew BWI-LGA, but two of them operated jets. I will leave the rest of this alone.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Greetings, gang. I'm back from overseas and look forward to once again participating in the OTAQ&D. First however, I've got a trip report to finish and of course I'm returning to work next week which comes with its own set of distractions - namely a week of re-certification before we're allowed back at it.

So, many thanks to jrl767 for his current set of questions and to all of you clever enough to give them a serious go! I have already started a new set of questions of my own though realistically it'll be about three weeks before I manage to research enough of them to present you all something worthy of your time.
I'm looking forward to your latest TR as well and am also in the midst of preparing a new batch of quiz items.

However, I think it will be a couple of weeks before I'm ready to submit my latest quiz items as we are now making preparations to finally move back into our home following the Great Louisiana Flood of August 2016......
Old May 7, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Now it makes more sense.

Leg 6 JFK - Milan Malpensa (MXP?) on an Alitalia 747 Combi
Leg 7 Milan Linate (LIN?) to Paris Charles De Gaulle (CDG) on an Air France A300.
Leg 8 Paris Orly (ORY) to London Gatwick (LGW) on Sierra Leone 707 (5th freedom carrier)

Seeing that Allegheny did not fly BWI-EWR, I will assume LGA, however I see 4 airlines flew BWI-LGA, but two of them operated jets. I will leave the rest of this alone.
well done sir!
JFK CORRECT MXP CORRECT AZ CORRECT 74M CORRECT
LIN CORRECT CDG CORRECT AF CORRECT AB3 CORRECT
ORY CORRECT LGW CORRECT LJ CORRECT CORRECT 707 CORRECT

another "mea culpa" wrt Leg 5, but in the big scheme of things it's fairly minor: we are looking for two airlines that operate into one airport and two that operate into another

what we know -- clarified:
LEG 1 - HNL - OAK, WO, D10
LEG 2 - SJC - BUR, OC or PS, M80
LEG 3 - LAX - MIA, PA, 747-100
LEG 4 - FLL - DCA, EA, D9S
LEG 5 - BWI - EWR
(still looking for two airlines, each operating a different type of turboprop aircraft); BWI - LGA, AL, DH7 (still looking for one additional airline operating a turboprop)
LEG 6 - JFK - MXP, AZ, 74M
LEG 7 - LIN - CDG, AF, AB3
LEG 8 - ORY - LGW, LJ, 707
LEG 9 - LHR - YMX, AC, L15
LEG 10 - YUL - ORD, AA, 727
LEG 11 - MDW - DFW, ML, DC9
LEG 12 - DAL - HOU, WN, 737
LEG 13 - IAH - SFO, UA or CO, 72S
LEG 14 - SFO - HNL, 6P, D8S

Last edited by jrl767; May 9, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Old May 18, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I have 20 questions compiled so far. When I get another 20-30 or so, we'll resume our little pastime. In the meantime, feel free to titillate us with some of your own questions.

Go on! I dare ya! Show us what you got! (If - that is - you've got anything to show) Challenge us! Take a look at the types of questions that have been presented here over the past few years and see what you can add. Not all of us are gonna look to departedflights.com or our timetables to find the answers. There's nothing wrong with being wrong. Indeed, it's part of the fun of testing our memory banks. After all, most of the schedules referenced here are from 30-40 years ago. Don't sweat it - Just do it!

Otherwise you're gonna have to wait 2-3 weeks before jlemon or I have a new batch to present. You don't want to do that, do you? Of course you don't. Challenge us. You can do it!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 19, 2017 at 10:35 am
Old May 23, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I have 20 questions compiled so far. When I get another 20-30 or so, we'll resume our little pastime. In the meantime, feel free to titillate us with some of your own questions.

Go on! I dare ya! Show us what you got! (If - that is - you've got anything to show) Challenge us! Take a look at the types of questions that have been presented here over the past few years and see what you can add. Not all of us are gonna look to departedflights.com or our timetables to find the answers. There's nothing wrong with being wrong. Indeed, it's part of the fun of testing our memory banks. After all, most of the schedules referenced here are from 30-40 years ago. Don't sweat it - Just do it!

Otherwise you're gonna have to wait 2-3 weeks before jlemon or I have a new batch to present. You don't want to do that, do you? Of course you don't. Challenge us. You can do it!
Just wanted to wholeheartedly endorse the above suggestion from Seat 2A. Perhaps you only have two or three quiz questions.....well, what the heck: Go for it! No one will laugh and your contribution will be appreciated.

Meantime, I am continuing to compile a new batch of quiz items and should be ready to go in the not so distant future. And I'm delighted to report that Lady K and I will finally move back into our home this weekend following the Great Flood of August 2016 over nine months ago in southern Louisiana.

BTW, we've been traveling recently with flights on board a DL MD-90, a DL Connection CRJ200 and even a Beechcraft Baron (owned and flown by a very good friend) with the latter including a three hour trip from Louisiana to Florida last Thursday with yours truly serving as the co-pilot on this flight.

Last edited by jlemon; May 23, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LEG 5 - BWI - EWR (still looking for two airlines, each operating a different type of turboprop aircraft); BWI - LGA, AL, DH7 (still looking for one additional airline operating a turboprop)

I will throw in the towel on this last one if there are no more speculations by tomorrow (Thurs) evening

BONUS PERMUTATION QUESTION:
if you end Leg 3 in a different metropolitan area, and therefore fly a different Leg 4 and Leg 5, you will replace two jet types with one jet and one turboprop, and still satisfy the multiple-models and no repeat airlines criteria
LEG 3A -- LAX to XXX Metro Area (jet)
LEG 4A -- XXX Metro Area to YYY Metro Area (turboprop)
LEG 5A -- YYY Metro Area to NYC Metro Area (turboprop)
Old May 25, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Probably the easiest questions of the quiz to date, but here goes;

1. Only one airline has built and operated its own aircraft. Which airline, what aircraft and when?

2. Only 648 people aquired membership of the Rare and Secret Order of the Double Sunrise; why? Where did they fly from and to? And when?

3. What where the Captains Club, The Flight Deck and the Golden Wing?
Old May 25, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Probably the easiest questions of the quiz to date, but here goes;

2. Only 648 people aquired membership of the Rare and Secret Order of the Double Sunrise; why? Where did they fly from and to? And when
Many thanks to VH-RMD for stepping up to the plate with several excellent questions! And, quite frankly, they are not all that easy, sir!

Given your "Victor Hotel" handle, I'll venture that your second quiz item concerns PBY Catalina amphibian service during World War II between Perth and Ceylon as Singapore had been invaded by the Japanese military at this time and could obviously not have been used as a stop. Ostensibly the operator was Qantas but I'll bet the flight crew were actually RAAF as this was a war time service. Hopefully WHBM will be able to chime in here as I'm sure he has much more information concerning this interesting flight where the passengers were treated to two sunrises while en route.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
3. What where the Captains Club, The Flight Deck and the Golden Wing?
I join jlemon in thanking you for these questions, VH. They're exactly the type I love to see and will no doubt titillate the participants here if only a wee bit.

I was a guest at QANTAS's Captain's Club in Melbourne whilst flying Business Class aboard a 767-200 across the Tasman to Christchurch back in 1987. It was QF's Premium Class lounge back in the day.

Later that year, I flew First Class aboard your namesake Ansett 767-200 on a MEL-SYD-BNE routing. The Golden Wing was Ansett's excellent airport lounge, available to premium class passengers and - perhaps - via membership as well.

I'm going to guess that the Flight Deck was TAA's answer to the Golden Wing. Although I once logged a flight in First Class aboard a TAA 727-200, there wasn't time to visit the lounge.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Many thanks to VH-RMD for stepping up to the plate with several excellent questions! And, quite frankly, they are not all that easy, sir!

Given your "Victor Hotel" handle, I'll venture that your second quiz item concerns PBY Catalina amphibian service during World War II between Perth and Ceylon as Singapore had been invaded by the Japanese military at this time and could obviously not have been used as a stop. Ostensibly the operator was Qantas but I'll bet the flight crew were actually RAAF as this was a war time service. Hopefully WHBM will be able to chime in here as I'm sure he has much more information concerning this interesting flight where the passengers were treated to two sunrises while en route.
Correct and there is quite a bit more to this answer...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.