Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

I can think of one more...

Intair, which operated a fleet of 6 Fokker 100s from 1989-1991....

2. What airline was the launch customer for the Fokker 70?
Ah, that's right. Intair used the "ND" two letter code formerly used by Nordair and perhaps might be remembered as an attempt to reincarnate a new version of Quebecair. At one point, I think Intair was operating 11 or 12 round trip flights on weekdays between YUL and YYZ primarily with the Fokker 100.

2. I believe this may have been Sempati Air, an Indonesian air carrier.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 23, 2017 at 5:39 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
2. What airline was the launch customer for the Fokker 70?

I believe this may have been Sempati Air, an Indonesian air carrier.

I believe you're correct, jlemon! I'll be down in Indonesia tomorrow. If I see any old Sempati aircraft rusting away, I'll try to have my camera ready. If I'm really lucky, which I doubt I will be as these aircraft - if there are still any that weren't sold still in the area - have probably long since been scrapped. I'm talking about two large 4 engine turboprops. Anybody here care to match up the aircraft types I allude to with the airlines that once flew them?

Getting to Jakarta from my present locale in Bangkok will be fun - an Ethiopian 787-8 down to Kuala Lumpur connecting to a Malindo Air 737-800 on into Jakarta. The Malindo Air flight is booked in Business Class with a very attractive forward cabin advertising 45" pitch between seats. The next day I've got another Business Class seat booked aboard Malindo Air's sister carrier down to Bali. Luncheon will be served.

Which brings to mind another question:

What is the name of Malindo Air's sister carrier, and what type of aircraft am I likely to be flying upon?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
What is the name of Malindo Air's sister carrier, and what type of aircraft am I likely to be flying upon?
Batik Air on a 737-900
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'll be down in Indonesia tomorrow. If I see any old Sempati aircraft rusting away, I'll try to have my camera ready. If I'm really lucky, which I doubt I will be as these aircraft - if there are still any that weren't sold still in the area - have probably long since been scrapped. I'm talking about two large 4 engine turboprops. Anybody here care to match up the aircraft types I allude to with the airlines that once flew them?
Vanguards

beyond the last operator which I believe was Merpati Nusantara, there are not a lot to choose from: factory deliveries only went to BEA (later BA) and Trans-Canada (later Air Canada); most were converted to cargo haulers, so I'm not sure how many secondary/tertiary passenger airlines may have picked them up in the interim
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm talking about two large 4 engine turboprops operated in Indonesia. Anybody here care to match up the aircraft types I allude to with the airlines that once flew them?

Vanguards

Beyond the last operator which I believe was Merpati Nusantara, there are not a lot to choose from: factory deliveries only went to BEA (later BA) and Trans-Canada (later Air Canada); most were converted to cargo haulers, so I'm not sure how many secondary/tertiary passenger airlines may have picked them up in the interim

Vanguards and Merpati Nusantara is correct! for one of 'em.

Care to have a go at the other?

And what about them questions you was gonna pose?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99

Batik Air on a 737-900
Anda benar, Sir! Saya menjawab ini dua hari yang lalu, tapi saya kira itu tidak pernah diposting.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:09 am

Anda benar, Sir! Saya menjawab ini dua hari yang lalu, tapi saya kira itu tidak pernah diposting.
Could be the slow internet of Indonesia that was the problem. I hope you are having a grand time on your trip

^
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Operators of large turboprop aircraft in Indonesia:

I think Garuda and Mandala Airlines both flew the Lockheed L-188 Electra.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
And what about them questions you was gonna pose?
12- to 14-hour proposal days make it tough to continue the research ... the worst of it being that I want to make sure that I don't leave too much ambiguity in describing the scenario, but I keep coming up with potential permutations that I can't actually validate
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wink FINALLY!

First off, my apologies to those who have been expecting this for a month or more; as mentioned in my prior post, my work schedule didn't make it any easier to carve out time to do the research, and nailing down the wording took far longer than I thought it would.

That said, here we go: Inspired by jlemon's "westbound round-the-world Southern Hemisphere odyssey" that entertained us recently, I came up with another 1983 trek for y'all to dissect ... this is a 14-segment summer jaunt from the U.S. to Europe and return; as usual, the task is to identify -- in sequence, of course -- the cities, airlines, and aircraft.

ON THE FIRST 12 FLIGHTS you'll arrive at one of several airports serving a major city or metropolitan area, but you'll depart from a different one.
>> You will NOT transit the same city or metropolitan area twice.
>> Proceeding west to east, the first five destinations are in the Continental U.S.
>> You will spend two nights at all U.S. destinations EXCEPT the third, where you will spend three nights.
>> From south to north, the next three destinations are in Europe.
>> You will spend one night at each European destination.
>> On return to North America there are four stops north to south.
>> You will spend two nights at each destination.

THE PENULTIMATE LEG returns you to a metropolitan area you have already visited, but via yet a different airport; you then depart from this same airport a few hours later and return to the airport where you began the journey.

The fine print:
IN ALL CASES the flight is on a different airline.
IN ALL CASES the flight is on a different model of aircraft -- e.g., 757-200 and 757-300 -- although three basic types -- e.g., 757 -- appear more than once.
IN ALL CASES -- except for one Fifth Freedom flight -- international flights are operated by an airline of the destination country.
TWO FLIGHTS only operate 1x/week.

The fine fine print:
>> There are several flights on each of two possible airlines for the second leg; all operate with the same model of aircraft.
>> There are two possible airlines for the fifth leg; each operates a different type of turboprop aircraft.
>> There are two possible airlines for the last leg within the Continental U.S; both operate the same model of aircraft.
>> Source data for U.S. flights is a Pocket Flight Guide, so there MAY be some additional answers that I didn't have the ability to consider.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

had my first flight on a De Haviland DHC-3 Otter (turbine conversion) today ... Kenmore Air, from Victoria Inner Harbour to Seattle Lake Union
Attached Images    
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it's obviously been a bit quiet here on the OTAQ&D recently....

So in tandem with the multifaceted quiz item posed above by jrl767, I thought I would submit a short list of new items.

Here we go.....and please limit your response to one quiz item at a time.

1. Fill in the blanks concerning this 1965 print ad from a major air carrier:

"Why does ___(airline)___ serve imported vintage wines in crystal by Rosenthal?"

"For the same reason____(airline's)____ (marketing term for its new aircraft)____will soon total 50."

2. In 1967, this airline ran a print ad with a number of photos depicting one of its aircraft located near jet airliners operated by Air New Zealand, BOAC, JAL, Pan American, Qantas and UTA. Other photos in the ad featured jets operated by Canadian Pacific, Northwest and United.

With the above in mind, fill in the blank concerning this statement in the ad:

"Behind ALL the big jets in ____(location)____"

Also identify the airline that ran this print ad as well as its aircraft type which appeared in most of the photos. ANSWERED

3. In 1968, this air carrier advertised it was operating ten roundtrip flights a day between Los Angeles (LAX) and Las Vegas (LAS). The same aircraft type was operated on all of these flights. Identify the airline and the equipment. ANSWERED

The time line for the next three quiz items is early 1985:

4. At this time, what airport did United flight 1 originate from and what was the first destination served? Also identify the aircraft type used to operate UA 1.

5. Continental was operating DC-10 service into Houston Intercontinental (IAH) on nonstop routes from six different cities in North America at this time. Not all of these flights were operated on daily basis. Name all six cities. ANSWERED: ACA, DEN, LAX, LGA, MEX, MIA

6. There was only one daily departure at this time from Houston Intercontinental (IAH) operated with a stretched Super DC-8. What airline operated this flight and what was the nonstop destination? ANSWERED

7. Name the only airline ever to operate scheduled passenger service into Grand Island, Nebraska (GRI) with the BAC One-Eleven. And for bonus points, identify the route as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 14, 2017 at 6:47 pm Reason: clarification on quiz item 6 & answer updates
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:20 pm

Well, it's obviously been a bit quiet here on the OTAQ&D recently....

So in tandem with the multifaceted quiz item posed above by jrl767, I thought I would submit a short list of new items.

Here we go.....and please limit your response to one quiz item at a time.

2. In 1967, this airline ran a print ad with a number of photos depicting one of its aircraft located near jet airliners operated by Air New Zealand, BOAC, JAL, Pan American, Qantas and UTA. Other photos in the ad featured jets operated by Canadian Pacific, Northwest and United.

With the above in mind, fill in the blank concerning this statement in the ad:

"Behind ALL the big jets in ____(location)____"

Also identify the airline that ran this print ad as well as its aircraft type which appeared in most of the photos.
Hawaii

Aloha Airlines

BAC 1-11
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6. There was only one daily departure at this time from Houston Intercontinental (IAH) operated with a stretched Super DC-8. What airline operated this flight and what was the nonstop destination?
not sure if Delta still had the D8S in their fleet in early '85, but even if they did I'm still inclined to think this was United operating to DEN
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
not sure if Delta still had the D8S in their fleet in early '85, but even if they did I'm still inclined to think this was United operating to DEN
I will disagree and pose this answer:

United airlines going to Chicago O'Hare.

Details:

UA 464 departed Denver at 7:00
Arrived in IAH at 10:00
Departed 10:40 to ORD
Arrived in ORD at 12:55

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.