Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

26. In 1978, Federal Express began a joint study with an aircraft manufacturer aimed at defining a potential replacement for its Dassault Falcon 20 fleet. Identify this aircraft manufacturer and explain the end result of this study.
Still looking for an answer to the above.....and now ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 25, 2017 at 4:32 pm Reason: answer update
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

The following have a time line of 1973. You will be embarking on a business trip that will take you from Montreal to south Florida (already answered), then to Chicago, then to Panama City, Panama and back to Chicago, and finally to Dallas. All of your flights are operated on a daily basis.

In every case, you will be flying in first class. And as part of your answer concerning two of these quiz items, you will be asked to provide the total number of first class seats on board the aircraft you will be flying on as part of your complete response. Be sure to include the number of seats in F in order for your response to be considered.

28. You will depart Miami (MIA) at 7:50 am and arrive at Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at 11:40 am. Two intermediate stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier , the two stops in the order in which they will be made, the aircraft and the total number of seats in first class. The air carrier was not Northwest, the equipment wasn't a DC10 and the flight did not stop at FLL and TPA but the stops were made elsewhere in Florida

29. You will depart Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at 11:00 am and arrive in Panama City, Panama (PTY) at 5:55 pm. Your return flight will depart PTY at 8:30 am and arrive at ORD at 3:50 pm. The same two intermediate stops will be made en route in each direction. Name the airline, the stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment. It was not Air Jamaica or Braniff International, the equipment wasn't a 707, 720 or DC8 and the two stops were made in the Caribbean at MBJ and KIN

30. You will depart Chicago Midway (MDW) at 5:40 pm and arrive at Dallas Love Field (DAL) at 10:19 pm. Three intermediate stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier, the three stops in the order in which they will be made, the equipment and the total number of seats in first class.
And still looking for answers for the above as well......

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 26, 2017 at 9:13 am Reason: response and hints on #28 & #29
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA
29. You will depart Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at 11:00 am and arrive in Panama City, Panama (PTY) at 5:55 pm. Your return flight will depart PTY at 8:30 am and arrive at ORD at 3:50 pm. The same two intermediate stops will be made en route in each direction. Name the airline, the stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment.
Interesting flights down to Panama from Chicago. There weren't too many operators of international flights in 1973. But there was a Braniff service from Houston to Panama, last vestige of the original operation from Texas down through South America which they were asked to start in WW2, being based in Texas, and never let go, although it was later almost wholly replaced by Miami as a departure point.

So lets go for a Braniff 707, operating Chicago-Dallas-Houston-Panama, and connecting there to the DC8 flights all the way down to Chile and Argentina. Bet they found some interesting red wines to serve on those
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Interesting flights down to Panama from Chicago. There weren't too many operators of international flights in 1973. But there was a Braniff service from Houston to Panama, last vestige of the original operation from Texas down through South America which they were asked to start in WW2, being based in Texas, and never let go, although it was later almost wholly replaced by Miami as a departure point.

So lets go for a Braniff 707, operating Chicago-Dallas-Houston-Panama, and connecting there to the DC8 flights all the way down to Chile and Argentina. Bet they found some interesting red wines to serve on those
29. That is an excellent guess and I would have thought it was Braniff International as well operating either a Boeing 707 or 720. And oh by the way, Braniff did serve great red wine back in the day, some of which were made in Chile and Argentina.

Surprisingly, it was not BN.....it was another air carrier. Likewise, the equipment was not a four engine Boeing jetliner. And the two intermediate stops were not made in the U.S. They were made in the Caribbean.

Hmmmm....building cumulus clouds out the window as a CRJ 900 cruises past. Best get to the lawnmower before the thunderheads roll in......

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 24, 2017 at 9:36 am Reason: wine comment
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:41 pm

Surprisingly, it was not BN.....it was another air carrier. Likewise, the equipment was not a four engine Boeing jetliner. And the two intermediate stops were not made in the U.S. They were made in the Caribbean.
I'm determined to get this one. There were very few operators from the Caribbean or Latin America into Chicago at the time, about the only one I can recall would be Air Jamaica. It's possible they put the same flight number on a service through Montego Bay and Kingston, so I'll go for a DC8 with them.

Meanwhile, for those participants of the thread who have visited Greenwich in London, today was the Greenwich Festival, a pleasant, in fact vast, display of a wide range of little, generally amateur, shows all around the town, which all lasted about 20 minutes. Surprisingly well done. http://www.festival.org/festival/overview/15/2017/ . Helped along by a very large kids area which maintained interest.

Seated for lunch out on the terrace of one of the elevated riverside restaurants, looking up at multiple A380s approaching Heathrow, and down on the tourist boats bringing more crowds, what should unexpectedly creep up the river at walking pace but the largest ship I have ever seen on The Thames (and indeed, currently the largest in the Royal Navy), the helicopter carrier Argus, 30,000 tons http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-orga...ship/rfa-argus with multiple tugs fore and aft. Only possible as it was high tide. With some deft reverse-parking it was positioned right in front of us all, just as the ice creams came. Even a Certain Somebody was torn between competing attractions.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm determined to get this one. There were very few operators from the Caribbean or Latin America into Chicago at the time, about the only one I can recall would be Air Jamaica. It's possible they put the same flight number on a service through Montego Bay and Kingston, so I'll go for a DC8 with them.

Meanwhile, for those participants of the thread who have visited Greenwich in London, today was the Greenwich Festival......
Ah, I am reminded of the Gipsy Moth in Greenwich. What a wonderful pub. We must pay a return visit to this fine establishment during our next journey over to London, hopefully sooner and not later, and also hopefully in the front cabin on BA (although I'll settle for F or even J on board an AA B777-300 if the reward availability is there).....

29. Another great guess! And Air Jamaica did indeed operate a nonstop DC8 flight between Chicago O'Hare and Montego Bay at one point with other JM DC8 services making an intermediate stop in Nassau between ORD and MBJ.

However, the airline in question was not Air Jamaica nor was the equipment a DC8.

But once again there is good news: the two intermediate stops were indeed Montego Bay and Kingston. So you are getting closer, sir!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of Air Jamaica, how about another bonus quiz item?

31. In 1969, Air Jamaica (JM) was operating Super DC8-61 and DC9-30 equipment. Examples of these aircraft types had been provided to JM by another operator. Identify this air carrier and explain the relationship between the two. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 26, 2017 at 9:09 am Reason: answer update
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:05 pm

26. In 1978, Federal Express began a joint study with an aircraft manufacturer aimed at defining a potential replacement for its Dassault Falcon 20 fleet. Identify this aircraft manufacturer and explain the end result of this study.
The Federal Express / Canadair joint study resulted in the Challenger E (E for express) which was later designated the CL-610.

I don't have trace of a FedEx 737 going to Alaska, and there's also a notable gap in their fleet numbering, did this aircraft even make it to FedEx service ?
http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-b737-21959.htm
https://www.planespotters.net/airfra...ing/737/21959/

Last edited by Indelaware; Jun 25, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
The Federal Express / Canadair joint study resulted in the Challenger E (E for express) which was later designated the CL-610.
26. Correct! This from the 1978 Federal Express annual report, ".....a joint study by Federal Express and Canadair Ltd., Montreal is now being conducted towards defining a stretched, commercial version of the Canadair Challenger executive aircraft for potential replacement of the Falcon fleet. This derivative aircraft would have substantial advantages over the Falcon in terms of fuel efficiency, container handling capabilities, cubic space and payload."

Besides being envisioned as a small freighter, I also believe there were plans for a passenger version of the Canadair CL-610 with seating for 24 or 40 passengers. However, I do not think any air carrier actually operated this airplane in scheduled service and the regional airline world had to wait for the CRJ-100.

Federal Express, meanwhile, then decided not to replace their Falcon 20 aircraft with a similarly sized twin jet and went for additional B727-100s instead followed by new B737-200s. And BTW, Federal Express claimed at one point they were operating the world's largest fleet of Falcon 20 aircraft with 71 of the type in 1979.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 25, 2017 at 4:48 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
28. You will depart Miami (MIA) at 7:50 am and arrive at Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at 11:40 am. Two intermediate stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier , the two stops in the order in which they will be made, the aircraft and the total number of seats in first class.
28. I'll start the bidding with a Northwest DC-10, configured with 36 F seats, stopping at Ft Lauderdale (FLL) and Tampa (TPA)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Speaking of Air Jamaica, how about another bonus quiz item?

31. In 1969, Air Jamaica (JM) was operating Super DC8-61 and DC9-30 equipment. Examples of these aircraft types had been provided to JM by another operator. Identify this air carrier and explain the relationship between the two.
Air Canada who was a minority owner (40%) of JM.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:37 am

Thank you for that, and I looked to find why my trusty spreadsheet had not shown that, only to find ... a Typo . Federal Express being mis-spelled against that one, so hadn't been found searching for that. Its serial number is also separated from the rest of them, so wasn't apparent.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
28. I'll start the bidding with a Northwest DC-10, configured with 36 F seats, stopping at Ft Lauderdale (FLL) and Tampa (TPA)
28. A good start but you'll need to up the ante as the air carrier was not NW, the equipment wasn't a DC-10 and the two stops were not made at FLL and TPA. On the plus side of the column, the state in which the two intermediate stops were made was Florida.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
Air Canada who was a minority owner (40%) of JM.
31. Correct! I believe that one D8S and three D9S aircraft were involved and that Air Canada also provided pilots as well as technical, maintenance and logistical support to Air Jamaica.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:05 pm

31. Correct! I believe that one D8S and three D9S aircraft were involved and that Air Canada also provided pilots as well as technical, maintenance and logistical support to Air Jamaica.
These AC aircraft came in 1969. Things went a little cool later, there were allegations of AC overcharging, the DC8-61 went back in 1973 and Air Jamaica then bought several DC8s of different types from Eastern, National and United. The United one was a -62 and held the London route down for quite some years.

Air Canada came back late in the 1970s by supplying some older Rolls-Royce powered DC8-43, one of which came from another Air Canada Caribbean venture having been in the fleet they leased to Cubana. In a bit of a turnround, Air Jamaica in turn supplied two DC8s, along with management and technical assistance, as the Aero Peru jet fleet for several years in the late 1970s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.