Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
5. Now you are in Jacksonville, FL and are planning on visiting good friends in the San Diego, CA area. You've found a daily direct flight departing JAX at 2:50 pm which arrives in SAN at 7:51 pm. Three stops are made en route and you'll enjoy a substantial snack on one leg followed by dinner on another leg. You book a seat in first class. What airline will you be flying on? Also identify the equipment and all three stops in order. LAX was the third stop

If I get this right, we'll have to give an assist to our man in Seattle. If it's not National, then it's gotta be Delta. If it's not a DC-8, but the 8 hour schedule time indicates it's still a jet, then it's got to be a Convair 880. After that, I'll just follow what would seem to be the logical routing for a Delta flight, especially an 880 that might not have had the legs for an ATL-LAX flight. Here we go: JAX - ATL - DAL - LAX - SAN

6. You are Boston and have been summoned to a lunch meeting the next day in Des Moines. There's a daily flight departing BOS at 8:00 am that will get you into DSM at 11:30 am. You reserve a seat on this flight which features single class service and only makes one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the aircraft type and the stop.

Keeping my detective hat on, the 4.5 hour scheduled time over a 1 stop routing suggests a jet. When I think single class service, I generally think all-coach but - United also operated its Caravelles in a single, albeit all-First Class configuration. So let's go with United, operating CVL equipment. The stop would have been at ORD.
5. Delta operating a Convair 880 is correct! However, the first stop was not Atlanta so please guess again!

6. United operating a Caravelle is correct! Here's the sched....

UA 419: Boston (BOS) 8:00a - 9:18a Chicago (ORD) 10:00a - 11:05a Des Moines (DSM) 11:30a (CDT)- 11:01a (CST) Omana (OMA)
Op: Daily
Equip: CVL JET
Cabin service: Breakfast BOS-ORD, Snack ORD-DSM

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 15, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
5. Delta operating a Convair 880 is correct! However, the first stop was not Atlanta so please guess again!
Whaaaaat? It weren't Atlanta?!! I don't believe you. Where else could it be?! Go back and check again!

Just kiddin', of course. Still, if it wasn't ATL... well, Florida - MSY was National country... so the other stop must've been in Florida. Let's go with Tampa.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... 1965:

4. You are in Virginia Beach, VA and need to travel to Iowa City, IA. However, neither city has a commercially served airfield. You've found a direct, no change of plane flight from the airport closest to Virginia Beach to the airport closest to Iowa City. You'll depart at 5:50 am and seven stops later arrive at 2:09 pm on board an aircraft configured with an all single class cabin. Identify the departure and arrival airports, the air carrier, the equipment and all seven stops in the order in which they will be made.
Originally Posted by jrl767
4- how about a United DC-6, originating at Norfolk (ORF) and terminating at Cedar Rapids (CID), with the seven stops as follows:
  1. Washington DC (DCA)
  2. Pittsburgh (PIT)
  3. Detroit (YIP)
  4. Lansing (LAN)
  5. Grand Rapids (GRR)
  6. Chicago (ORD)
  7. Moline (MLI)
4. United is correct; however, the equipment was not a DC-6. ORF as the originating airport is correct as is CID as the terminating airport for this flight. Here's how you did on the routing:

Norfolk (ORF)
1. ___________
2. Washington, D.C. National (DCA)
3. ___________
4. Detroit Willow Run (YIP)
5. ___________
6. ___________
7. Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Cedar Rapids (CID)
well, it looks like we have found another UA Viscount milk run ... missing stops perhaps:
1- Newport News (PHF)
3- Pittsburgh (PIT)
5- Saginaw/Bay CIty/Midland (MBS)
6- Grand Rapids (GRR)
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
1967:
9. You are in St. Louis and need to travel to New York City for a meeting. Now you could take a nonstop....but you are in no big rush. So instead you opt for a milk run flight to La Guardia on board an aircraft configured with an all coach cabin. You'll depart STL at 5:00 pm and arrive at LGA at 11:51 pm. Five stops will be made en route and you'll be served a light snack on this flight on the first leg. Name the airline and the aircraft type and also identify all five stops in order.
9- again, I think there are a couple of candidates, so I'll go in alphabetical order with an American Airlines BAC One-Eleven "400 Astrojet" with the handful of intermediate stops at:
  1. Chicago (ORD)
  2. Detroit (DTW)
  3. Buffalo (BUF)
  4. Rochester (ROC)
  5. Syracuse (SYR)

15. You need to travel from Atlanta to Kansas City and would like to depart ATL either early or mid afternoon. You find that one airline offers two flights which match your schedule. One flight departs at 12:35 pm and the other at 2:35 pm. The same equipment featuring a coach only cabin is operated on both flights and the same two intermediate stops are made by both flights. Identify the air carrier, the aircraft type and the two stops in order.
15- this sure sounds like it was a TWA DC-9-10 serving Nashville (BNA) and of course St Louis (STL)

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 15, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Whaaaaat? It weren't Atlanta?!! I don't believe you. Where else could it be?! Go back and check again!

Just kiddin', of course. Still, if it wasn't ATL... well, Florida - MSY was National country... so the other stop must've been in Florida. Let's go with Tampa.
5. Nope, surprisingly the first stop was not Atlanta (and that was one of the reasons I chose this DL flight as the basis for this quiz item).

And guess what? It was not Tampa, either (in fact, jrl767 already guessed TPA).

So please guess again!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[indent][indent]
well, it looks like we have found another UA Viscount milk run ... missing stops perhaps:
1- Newport News (PHF)
3- Pittsburgh (PIT)
5- Saginaw/Bay CIty/Midland (MBS)
6- Grand Rapids (GRR)
4. Yep, the equipment was a good ol' Vickers Viscount complete with four not too quiet but powerful Rolls-Royce turboprop engines.

You are also making progress with regard to the routing but are not quite there yet:

Norfolk (ORF)
1. Newport News (PHF)
2. Washington D.C. National (DCA)
3. ________________
4. Detroit Willow Run (YIP)
5. ________________
6. Saginaw/Bay City/ Midland (MBS)
7. Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Cedar Rapids (CID)
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9- again, I think there are a couple of candidates, so I'll go in alphabetical order with an American Airlines BAC One-Eleven "400 Astrojet" with the handful of intermediate stops at:
  1. Chicago (ORD)
  2. Detroit (DTW)
  3. Buffalo (BUF)
  4. Rochester (ROC)
  5. Syracuse (SYR)

15- this sure sounds like it was a TWA DC-9-10 serving Nashville (BNA) and of course St Louis (STL)
9. Ah, it was not American Airlines, the equipment was not a BAC One-Eleven and none of your stops are correct. Please guess again!

15. TWA twice a day Atlanta-Nashville-St. Louis-Kansas City with a DC-9-10 operating both flights is correct!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
5. Nope, surprisingly the first stop was not Atlanta (and that was one of the reasons I chose this DL flight as the basis for this quiz item).

So please guess again!

Okay. Orlando.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9- STL-LGA with five stops, not AA ... sticking with alphabetical, guess #2 is Eastern, running an Electra via:
  1. Louisville (SDF)
  2. Lexington (LEX)
  3. Ashland/Huntington (HTS)
  4. Charleston WV (CRW)
  5. Washington National (DCA)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So please guess again!

Okay. Orlando.
5. Orlando is correct! Here's the sched.....

DL 989: Jacksonville (JAX) 2:50p - 3:25p Orlando McCoy AFB (MCO) 4:00p - 5:21p Dallas Love Field (DAL) 5:55p - 6:45p Los Angeles (LAX) 7:20p - 7:51p San Diego (SAN)
Equip: CV-880 JET
Cabin service: Snack MCO-DAL, Dinner DAL-LAX

Orlando would assume increasing importance in the Delta system over the years.

In 1959, the old Orlando airport (ORL) appeared in the DL system timetable with a footnote stating that the airline was not operating scheduled service into Orlando at the time.

However, by 1995, Delta was operating a hub at Orlando with nonstop service to 23 destinations flown with B727-200, B757-200, B767-200, B767-300, L-1011, L-1011-500 and MD-80 equipment. Delta Connection codeshare service operated by Comair also served 16 destinations nonstop from MCO with EMB-120 and Metro III propjets. And Delta would later operate MD-11 service with a round trip routing of NRT-LAX-MCO.

The Delta Crown Room at Orlando was a very nice lounge back then.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 16, 2017 at 7:58 am Reason: additional info
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9- STL-LGA with five stops, not AA ... sticking with alphabetical, guess #2 is Eastern, running an Electra via:
  1. Louisville (SDF)
  2. Lexington (LEX)
  3. Ashland/Huntington (HTS)
  4. Charleston WV (CRW)
  5. Washington National (DCA)
9. Ah, the process of elimination.....however, the air carrier was not Eastern, the equipment was not an L-188 Electra and this flight did not serve the airports you have listed. Please guess again!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Please guess again!". well, ok ...

9- STL-LGA with five stops, not AA, not EA ... last of my three alphabetical candidates is a TWA DC-9-10, serving:
  1. Indianapolis (IND)
  2. Dayton (DAY)
  3. Columbus (CMH)
  4. Pittsburgh (PIT)
  5. Harrisburg (MDT)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Please guess again!". well, ok ...

9- STL-LGA with five stops, not AA, not EA ... last of my three alphabetical candidates is a TWA DC-9-10, serving:
  1. Indianapolis (IND)
  2. Dayton (DAY)
  3. Columbus (CMH)
  4. Pittsburgh (PIT)
  5. Harrisburg (MDT)
9. Yep, it was TWA operating a DC-9-10 in all coach configuration.

However, Indianapolis was not the first stop.

DAY, CMH, PIT and MDT were served by this flight. So we are looking for one more destination and the correct order.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. Yep, it was TWA operating a DC-9-10 in all coach configuration.

However, Indianapolis was not the first stop.

DAY, CMH, PIT and MDT were served by this flight. So we are looking for one more destination and the correct order.
I've been mentally revisiting TW's route map and have come to the conclusion that "the correct order" is a red herring ... while destinations such as Louisville, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Cleveland might fit geographically, I can't recall that they had service in conjunction with the acknowledged points

my earlier guesses of ORD and IND were deemed incorrect, and the comment about a snack on the first leg would seem to rule out Terre Haute (HUF)

therefore, I think we're actually looking for the last stop, between MDT and LGA; the two possibilities are Allentown (ABE) and Philadelphia (PHL) ... guess #1 is ABE
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Therefore, I think we're actually looking for the last stop, between MDT and LGA; the two possibilities are Allentown (ABE) and Philadelphia (PHL) ... guess #1 is ABE
9. Yep, ABE was the last stop. Here's the sched.....

TW 526: St. Louis (STL) 5:00p - 6:57p Dayton (DAY) 7:25p - 7:49p Columbus (CMH) 8:15p - 8:53p Pittsburgh (PIT) 9:25p - 10:05p Harrisburg (MDT) 10:35p - 11:01p Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton (ABE) 11:20p - 11:51p New York (LGA)
Equip: DC9
Class of service: Y
Cabin service: Snack STL-DAY

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 18, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.