Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well I know 4 and 5 for sure, especially since I used to work for FL in Denver back then.

Pride Air was based in New Orleans, but I'm pretty sure they were operating in 1986 or 1985. I was booked to fly with them one night LAX-SAN but my connecting flight was late.

The Frontier subsidiary was called Frontier Horizon and flew ex-AA 727-100s.
Alaska Airlines sued Frontier because it's commuter airline is Horizon.

I remember Midway Metrolink!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N702ML
Okay... here are a few.

1. Midway Airlines was the first jet carrier to begin operations following airline deregulation. What were the first three airports it served from Midway Airport back in 1979?

2. What airline, which operated from 1981 to 1987, used the slogan: "That Personal Touch" and which airline was it acquired by?

3. What was the first city outside the state of California to see scheduled service by Air California?

4. Pride Air, created by former Continental Airlines employees, operated a fleet of 727 jets from which hub city for it's brief existance back in 1984?

5. The original Frontier Airlines created and operated a low-fare, non-union subsidiary operating 727 jets during 1984/1985. What was the name of this subsidiary?
1. Detroit Metro, Kansas City and Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport.

2. Jet America Airlines. They operated a fleet of MD-80s between SEA/PDX/LGB/OAK/SNA/LAS/DFW/MSP/STL/DTW/DCA. They were acquired by Alaska Airlines.

3. Reno, NV.

4. My year was off. Pride Air operated 727s from a New Orleans hub for their brief 3-month existance in 1985.

5. You got it.... Frontier Horizon.

For more old airline geekdom, visit my website: www.departedflights.com

Look forward to more question! I love this thread!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
I have a question:

Which US airlines operated the Vickers Viscount?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
I have a question:

Which US airlines operated the Vickers Viscount?
United, Continental and Capitol come immediately to mind. Oh yeah, Northeast as well. Great 4 part article about Northeast in the latest few Airways Magazines. I'm not sure, but I think Aloha or Hawaiian or both may also have operated Viscounts.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
United, Continental and Capitol...
That would be Capital (with 2 'a's) and yes Aloha had them. There are photos of Royal American Viscounts around but all seem to have UK registrations (G-) so I don't know if this 'airline' ever got off the ground (heh!).
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Now that many questions have been answered, some new ones?

Remember McClain Airlines? Black 727-200 from O'Hare?

What city did McClain fly to first? What city did they want to fly to from O'Hare?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines

What city did McClain fly to first? What city did they want to fly to from O'Hare?
Are you sure it was a 727-200? I've got a postcard of a McClain 727-100 and all of their ads also show a -100.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines

They were, as Seat 2A points out, 727-100s. The initial routes were Chicago-Phoenix and Chicago-Rockford (operated to exercise its use-or-lose rights for O'Hare slots). The Rockford route was quickly replaced by a Chicago-Phoenix-Los Angeles route.

Not sure what cities they ultimalely did serve, but I have a pre-startup brochure that shows a route map consisting of:

Chicago-Los Angeles
Chicago-Phoenix
Dallas/Fort Worth-Los Angeles
Dallas/Fort Worth-Phoenix
Dallas/Fort Worth-San Francisco

Not sure how many of those routes actually came about, though.

So, speaking of all First-Class carriers...in addition to McClain and MGM Grand Air (which was mentioned in another question much earlier on) who can name two other U.S. 727 operators that operated all First Class service back in the 80s?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So, speaking of all First-Class carriers...in addition to McClain and MGM Grand Air (which was mentioned in another question much earlier on) who can name two other U.S. 727 operators that operated all First Class service back in the 80s?
Regent Air and Air One! Though I couldn't afford a flight on Regent Air's longer routes, I did fly Air One between STL and MCI back in October 1984. The aircraft was an ex-National Airlines machine and drinks were served with a big bowl of mixed nuts. Too bad we didn't have trip reports back then because that trip was a combination of an Amtrak railpass and an attempt to ride a bunch of airlines I'd never before flown. I managed first flights aboard Cascade (HS748), Horizon (DC-9-14), Sunworld International (DC-9-14), Southwest (737-200), Northeastern International (727-100), Florida Express (BAC-111) and Air One (727-100) in addition to almost 15000 miles of new trackage.

Awright, here's a couple you might find interesting ~

Name four African airlines that flew the VC-10

Besides BOAC/British Airways, what two other UK airlines flew the VC-10?

By the way, I enjoyed checking out your website, M702ML. Watch your PayPal account for a donation

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Regent Air and Air One! Though I couldn't afford a flight on Regent Air's longer routes, I did fly Air One between STL and MCI back in October 1984. The aircraft was an ex-National Airlines machine and drinks were served with a big bowl of mixed nuts. Too bad we didn't have trip reports back then because that trip was a combination of an Amtrak railpass and an attempt to ride a bunch of airlines I'd never before flown. I managed first flights aboard Cascade (HS748), Horizon (DC-9-14), Sunworld International (DC-9-14), Southwest (737-200), Northeastern International (727-100), Florida Express (BAC-111) and Air One (727-100) in addition to almost 15000 miles of new trackage.

By the way, I enjoyed checking out your website, M702ML. Watch your PayPal account for a donation
WOW, Seat 2A, your experiences are an airline geek's dream! I would have loved to have flown on almost all of those aircraft! (The Southwest 737-200 is the exception, as I flew on that many of times, including my N702ML that I name my ID after!)

Most people probably don't even know that Horizon operated DC-9s or have ever heard of Sunworld!

But Florida Express, Northeastern, Air One... I am jealous you got to fly all of those carriers!!!!!!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Most people probably don't even know that Horizon operated DC-9s or have ever heard of Sunworld!
It would have been nice if that DC-9 (N85AS) had worn Horizon's attractive red and orange livery but it was a leased airplane that still bore the livery of its owner, All Star Airlines. It remains the oldest DC-9 I have ever flown upon, originally delivered to Air Canada as number 4 off the production line. After serving All Star, it was sold to Midwest Express as N500ME. It was later sold to East African Safari Air Express where - so far as I can tell - it still flies as 5Y-XXB to this day.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:37 pm
Suspended

It would have been nice if that DC-9 (N85AS) had worn Horizon's attractive red and orange livery but it was a leased airplane that still bore the livery of its owner, All Star Airlines. It remains the oldest DC-9 I have ever flown upon, originally delivered to Air Canada as number 4 off the production line. After serving All Star, it was sold to Midwest Express as N500ME. It was later sold to East African Safari Air Express where - so far as I can tell - it still flies as 5Y-XXB to this day.
Ahhh.... good old (and I do mean the OLD) Midwest Express. An old friend of mine and myself used to use our NRSA passes to fly from DFW to MKE and back just to experience the service. Believe it or not.... one of the best steaks and the absolute BEST mashed potatos I ever had! That was one class-act airline! I miss them!

I used to have (and I do regret ever getting rid of it) a copy of a late-80s report of some sort from Midwest Express. It included the results of a customer feedback survey. Being the 80s, it still made reference of: "Less than XXX% of customers still have the crash in mind when they think of us."

Hard to believe the survey even mentioned the references to "the crash." But it was there. "X% of customers associate us with our inflight meals." "X% of our customers associate us with our seating configuration." "X% of customers associate our name with being based in Milwaukee." "X% of our customers associate our name with 'the crash.'"

That was, truly, one of the forgotten aircraft accidents..... 31 people killed in the crash of a YX DC-9 in September 1985. It was so overshadowed by the crash of a Delta L1011 in August of that year at DFW that killed 137 people, the crash of a Japan Air Lines 747 in August of that year that killed 520 people, the inflight bombing of an Air India 747 that killed 329 people and the epic hijacking of TWA flight 847 over several weeks that summer....In one of the deadliest years of commecial aviaion, many people forget Midwest Express flight 105.

Last edited by N702ML; Dec 13, 2011 at 10:42 pm
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
United, Continental and Capitol come immediately to mind. Oh yeah, Northeast as well. Great 4 part article about Northeast in the latest few Airways Magazines. I'm not sure, but I think Aloha or Hawaiian or both may also have operated Viscounts.
WOW, Seat 2A, your experiences are an airline geek's dream!
Yes, Seat 2A, you have a great thread. That is correct, United, Continental, Capitol and Northeast were Viscount operators. You are also correct regarding Aloha and Hawaiian operating Viscounts. I rode both AQ and HA Viscounts for years, with HA operating these fine aircraft for a short while compared to about 7 to 8 years in service with AQ.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:39 am
BHL

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; AA PLT 3MM

I'm so sorry I'm late to this thread--great fun, well done Seat 2A!

Four African VC10 (NO hyphen!) operators: East African (Supers), Air Malawi, Ghana Airways, Nigeria Airways.

In the UK, British United and British Caledonian flew the VC10.

BTW, in the original set, question 33--Pacific East Air also flew a former Alitalia DC-8-62 in scheduled service between SFO/LAX and HNL. (They also flew a -61 in their own colors and a -63 leased from Flying Tigers.) MGM Grand also operated the DC-8-62 in scheduled service.

Two follow-on questions:

Before the nonstop flights began, which airline and aircraft provided through jet service between Hong Kong and Johannesburg?

Which California routes--begin and end points within the state--were served by scheduled flights using DC-8 aircraft? (Hint: there were at least five.)

Cheers!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
United, Continental, Capitol and Northeast were Viscount operators.
Aaargh; CapitAl, CAPITAL flew the Viscounts. Quantas, Brannif and Brittania never did though
Originally Posted by BHL
In the UK, British United and British Caledonian flew the VC10.
+ Laker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.