Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
Here's the ABC from 1939 for London to Paris, wonder how it compares. The Imperial Airways and Air France schedules should be straightforward, wonder if they got the Wrightways service in as well.
No mention of Wrightways. London-Paris schedules are shown separately for Imperial and AF, which have their own pages in this OAG, as do other airlines, but there are no airline-independent schedules based on origin and destination cities as we are accustomed to in later OAGs (and I think, in the earlier ABCs). The milk runs are truly impressive -- I think we've talked about some of Imperial's routes in earlier posts, but I can't help but marvel at the 12,527 mile Imperial route from Southampton to Brisbane with 11 intermediate stops over a period of nine days! They don't show times, just days of the week for that schedule. KLM had a similar exhausting seven-day 8,737 mile trip from Amsterdam to Djarkata (Batavia in those days) with 19 stops enroute. I've flown some longer mileage runs, with grueling schedules, but nothing to compare with those!
Old May 4, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

5. Three airlines were operating nonstop jet flights between Portland (PDX) and Spokane (GEG). Each airline operated a uniquely different type of aircraft, each built by a different manufacturer. Identify the three airlines and they aircraft each flew on this route. P A R T I A L L Y . A N S W E R E D (NW 72S and CZ B11)
I'll guess the third air carrier was Horizon Air (QX) with Fokker F28 service. QX may also have been operating turboprop equipment (such as the Metro III and/or Fairchild F-27) on the PDX-GEG route at this time as well.

And here's a question (not a quiz item): does anyone know if Horizon Air briefly operated a Convair 580 at one point?

BTW, I can remember flying on Alaska Airlines B727-200 aircraft between PDX and GEG several times in later years. Actual routing was LAX-PDX-GEG in both directions.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA
15. What was the first European national airline to operate an all jet fleet? What year did this airline become all-jet?
Austrian ? Probably around 1970 when the last of the Viscounts went and the first DC9s were coming along. Lufthansa must have been close second.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
5. Three airlines were operating nonstop jet flights between Portland (PDX) and Spokane (GEG). Each airline operated a uniquely different type of aircraft, each built by a different manufacturer. Identify the three airlines and they aircraft each flew on this route. P A R T I A L L Y . A N S W E R E D (NW 72S and CZ B11)

I'll guess the third air carrier was Horizon Air (QX) with Fokker F28 service. QX may also have been operating turboprop equipment (such as the Metro III and/or Fairchild F-27) on the PDX-GEG route at this time as well.

jrl767 beat you to this same answer a few posts back See Post 8873, but alas, the identity of this third carrier and its twin engine equipment remains elusive...

Please - Guess Again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 4, 2016 at 3:35 pm
Old May 4, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
15. What was the first European national airline to operate an all jet fleet? What year did this airline become all-jet?

Austrian? Probably around 1970 when the last of the Viscounts went and the first DC9s were coming along. Lufthansa must have been close second.

According to this airline's website, it went all jet in 1969. The airline in question however is neither Austrian nor Lufthansa...

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 4, 2016 at 3:37 pm
Old May 4, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

5. Three airlines were operating nonstop jet flights in 1985 between Portland (PDX) and Spokane (GEG). Each airline operated a uniquely different type of aircraft, each built by a different manufacturer. Identify the three airlines and they aircraft each flew on this route. P A R T I A L L Y . A N S W E R E D (NW 72S and CZ B11)
Hmmmm......not Horizon Air.

Well then.....how about Sunworld (JK) with a DC-9-10?
Old May 4, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond

How about Alaskan with an MD80?
Old May 4, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq
A good guess, but no - at least not in mid-1985...

Hmmmm......not Horizon Air. Well then.....how about Sunworld (JK) with a DC-9-10?
Correct! I'd provide schedule corroboration but alas - I'm stuck here in the Centurion Lounge at SeaTac drinking a deliciously chilled Northwest Microbrew (Manny's), munching hors d'oeuvres and working the OTAQ&D.

Next up: A First Class seat aboard a new 737-990ER up to Anchorage followed by yet another aboard an aging 737-490 back home to Fairbanks.

For a live view of Fairbanks as seen from Golden Heart Plaza, click HERE.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 4, 2016 at 4:19 pm
Old May 4, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by miniliq
never heard of 'em

ALASKA, on the other hand ... was still evidently the wrong answer
Old May 5, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
never heard of 'em

ALASKA, on the other hand ... was still evidently the wrong answer
Yesterday was not a good day for me -- my abject apologies. My only excuse is that in 62 years of flying I only had 3 flights on AS many, many years ago.
Can we call it a senior moment?
Old May 5, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wild guess time: KLM Royal Dutch

I believe you mentioned the airline in question went all-jet in 1969. If so, I think that would have been when KL retired their last L-188 Electra, probably replacing it with a DC9 or perhaps with a D9S.

Last edited by jlemon; May 6, 2016 at 8:10 am
Old May 5, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wild guess time: KLM Royal Dutch.

An excellent guess but no - it was not KLM either.

Please - Guess Again!
Old May 6, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: BA
BOAC had been all jet since the last Britannia flight in 1965.

Last edited by WHBM; May 6, 2016 at 4:05 am
Old May 6, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And on a beautiful Friday morning, here's a three part bonus quiz item....

The timeline is early 1985 and the location is Newark Airport (EWR):

A) Identify two airlines that were operating BAC One-Eleven service into EWR at this time. ANSWERED

B) Identify two airlines that were operating DC-9-10 service into EWR at this time. Hints: it was not Delta, Northwest, Ozark, TWA, Republic or USAir. And now ANSWERED: Midwest Express (YX) and Midway (ML)

C) Identify two airlines that were operating F28 Fellowship service into EWR at this time. ANSWERED

Meantime, the weekend beckons, the lawn is completely overgrown and I'm sure there's a good bottle of wine somewhere in the mix this evening.....

Last edited by jlemon; May 7, 2016 at 10:40 am Reason: hints and answer updates
Old May 6, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
And on a beautiful Friday morning, here's a three part bonus quiz item....

The timeline is early 1985 and the location is Newark Airport (EWR):

A) Identify two airlines that were operating BAC One-Eleven service into EWR at this time.

B) Identify two airlines that were operating DC-9-10 service into EWR at this time.

C) Identify two airlines that were operating F28 Fellowship service into EWR at this time.

Meantime, the weekend beckons, the lawn is completely overgrown and I'm sure there's a good bottle of wine somewhere in the mix this evening.....
A- one was certainly USAir; from the discussion upthread I will speculate that the other was Quebecair
C- I took F-28 flights on both Piedmont and Empire thru EWR in the spring of 1985

I am home in Seattle, having completed consecutive flights on six different 737 models on over the past two days (three each on Wed and Thurs):
  1. YYZ-LGA, 737-600, WestJet (first flight on a 736)
  2. LGA-BNA, 737-700, Southwest
  3. BNA-MSY, 737-300, Southwest
  4. MSY-DAL, 737-500, Southwest
  5. DAL-PHX, 737-800, Southwest
  6. PHX-SEA, 737-900, Alaska
my next flight (Tues morning) will complete the "7x 737" odyssey:
7. SEA-ONT, 737-400, Alaska
later today we will be driving over to our nephew's graduation at Washington State University; returning Sun afternoon via several wineries in the eastern part of the state

Last edited by jrl767; May 6, 2016 at 10:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.