Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Let's start a quiz!

Ask a question.

Someone else answer a question.

Try to check within 24 hours of asking a question.

If no confirmation that the answer is correct, someone else may post a question after 24 hours. If no correct answer given in 72 hours, another question may be asked.

To make things faster pace, how about 2 questions at a time?
----

New question:

In the late 1990's, what major airline flew Wichita-Seattle non-stop? Hint: It did not operate a hub or a focus city in either Seattle or Wichita.

New question 2:

What major airline that is currently operating can trace roots to Empire Airlines, which flew many routes from Syracuse?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
1. What is the shortest scheduled flight in the United States that a widebodied aircraft has ever been operated on?

I was unaware that United ever had a scheduled run between SFO and OAK with a widebodied aircraft. So far as I knew, the largest thing they ever operated on this route was a DC-8-61.

On the other hand, Eastern used to fly an A300 on the MIA-FLL-JFK route. I flew it once. MIA-FLL is about 20 miles.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 28, 2011 at 2:01 am
Old Nov 26, 2011, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
1. In the late 1990's, what major airline flew Wichita-Seattle non-stop? Hint: It did not operate a hub or a focus city in either Seattle or Wichita.

I'm gonna have to guess someone got a contract to move Boeing employees around. I'll go with TWA

2. What major airline that is currently operating can trace roots to Empire Airlines, which flew many routes from Syracuse?
That would be US Airways via its acquisition of Piedmont

Two more questions:

1. What is the shortest scheduled flight in the United States that a widebodied aircraft has ever been operated on?

2. Name at least seven airlines (I can think of eight) that operated jets that went on to become part of what is now known as Delta Airlines.[/QUOTE]

Confirmation of answer:
TWA is correct. I don't know if Boeing had a contract. The flights lasted several months before ending. US Airways is correct.

Answer:
Guess, it would be United Airlines DC-10 San Francisco-Oakland. I do know that in the 1980's, UA had several SFO-OAK flights, some of them being SFO-OAK-ORD.

Answer 2:
Delta 7 or 8:
Northeast, Western, Northwest, Republic, Hughes Air West, Southern, North Central, Pan Am Shuttle (also Pan Am transatlantic, but those were rights, not all the airline), Song (spun off then re-absorbed), Bonanza Airlines (before Hughes Air West). That makes 10, so at least 7 are mentioned.

---
Next 2 questions:
1. awaiting confirmation. If confirmed and I don't respond in 24 hours, anyone may post.

2. What airlines operated shuttle service between LaGuardia and Washington National preceding Delta and US Airways? Hint: Delta hasn't always used the Marine Air Terminal in New York so some airline must have used it.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
You're right - I should have said just F28 and not put the 1000 on there. Good call! I think the -4000 was only marginally longer and looked almost identical. I can think of seven U.S. F28 operators for sure.

Altair, Mid-Pacific, US Air, Pilgrim Airlines, Piedmont, Horizon and Empire

There was one more that operated between SLC and LAS amongst other routes back in the 90s. I can picture the plane, silver/grey fuselage with dark blue logo but can't quite think of the airline name. I know I've got a postcard of it but my postcards are in storage. Any help?
I sat in one (a Piedmont F28) at an air show many years ago. (never got to fly in it)

Great thread! ^
Old Nov 27, 2011, 2:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
2. What airlines operated shuttle service between LaGuardia and Washington National preceding Delta and US Airways? Hint: Delta hasn't always used the Marine Air Terminal in New York so some airline must have used it.
Eastern and Trump?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
Eastern and Trump?
You're next! Think of a question. Trump Shuttle was what I wanted someone to remember.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 4:09 pm
Suspended

That would be US Airways via its acquisition of Piedmont

Two more questions:

---
Next 2 questions:
1. awaiting confirmation. If confirmed and I don't respond in 24 hours, anyone may post.

Still awaiting confirmation but I think I am correct. Therefore, I will pose another question. Moondog has rights to pose the other question as we are asking two at a time to avoid having too slow a thread.

Question: DFW has several round terminals. The airline was opened in 1974. American currently uses terminal A (formerly 2E), B (formerly 2W and, for many years, used by the "other" airlines), C (formerly 3E), and the newer international terminal D (was never called 3W). When Delta had a DFW after Braniff collapsed, it used terminal 4E, now E.

What terminal did Braniff use? Braniff had a DFW hub.

(I know this is a terrible question if one has not flown into DFW a lot).
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:38 pm

You're next! Think of a question. Trump Shuttle was what I wanted someone to remember.
My questions:

1. Name at least 3 "flight 1s" that have been in service since 1980
2. Name one "flight 1" that travels in an easterly direction
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

I was unaware that United ever had a scheduled run between SFO and OAK with a widebodied aircraft. So far as I know, the largest thing they ever operated on this route was a DC-8-61.

On the other hand, Eastern used to fly an A300 on the MIA-FLL-JFK route. I flew it once. MIA-FLL is about 20 miles.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:47 am
Suspended

I was unaware that United ever had a scheduled run between SFO and OAK with a widebodied aircraft. So far as I know, the largest thing they ever operated on this route was a DC-8-61.

I assume that you are correct so think of a question to ask us!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
My questions:

1. Name at least 3 "flight 1s" that have been in service since 1980
Without looking, I know some.

British Airways 1 used to be a Concorde flight but is now a flight from London City Airport to New York with a refueling stop in Shannon, Ireland.

American Airlines 1 is a JFK-LAX flight.

Singapore Airlines 1 is a San Francisco to Singapore flight, currently stopping in Hong Kong.

CURRENT QUESTION (unanswered)

NEW QUESTION
1. What U.S. airports had scheduled Concorde service? Here are some....JFK/New York, IAD/Washington, DFW/Dallas. How about __________?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:57 am
Suspended

Still awaiting confirmation but I think I am correct. Therefore, I will pose another question. Moondog has rights to pose the other question as we are asking two at a time to avoid having too slow a thread.

Question: DFW has several round terminals. The airline was opened in 1974. American currently uses terminal A (formerly 2E), B (formerly 2W and, for many years, used by the "other" airlines), C (formerly 3E), and the newer international terminal D (was never called 3W). When Delta had a DFW after Braniff collapsed, it used terminal 4E, now E.

What terminal did Braniff use? Braniff had a DFW hub.

(I know this is a terrible question if one has not flown into DFW a lot).
Oh, this is also a current question and Seat 2A has rights to ask a question. Oh well, 4 open questions are enough.

I'll answer the above to drop the number down to 3 open questions as I think we are supposed to have only 2 questions.

Braniff operated out of terminal 2W, now terminal B. Even though Delta replaced BN as the smaller airline (than AA) to operate a DFW hub, BN used 2W and Delta used 4E.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:17 am

Without looking, I know some.

British Airways 1 used to be a Concorde flight but is now a flight from London City Airport to New York with a refueling stop in Shannon, Ireland.

American Airlines 1 is a JFK-LAX flight.

Singapore Airlines 1 is a San Francisco to Singapore flight, currently stopping in Hong Kong.
SQ and BA were two of my definite 3. The 3rd also originates from SFO, but switched destination airports (same metro area) 1 year ago.

CURRENT QUESTION (unanswered)
Hint: Asia to US.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I'm guessing it may be an L-1011 with PSA on the west coast in the 70s.

What airlines 727s and DC-9s were known as Whisperjets?
I'll take "What is an oxymoron?" for $100, Alex.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I'm guessing it may be an L-1011 with PSA on the west coast in the 70s.

I'll take "What is an oxymoron?" for $100, Alex.
I really don't think PSA is correct. LAX-SFO is short but not that short. I do not think PSA used the plane for LAX-SAN. Fort Lauderdale-Miami was previously mentioned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.