Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
13) What airline operated the L-1011 between Toronto, Canada and Buffalo, New York?

When I was a kid in the early days of widebodied jetliners, I used to go through the OAG page by page and write down the routes of every single wide bodied jet in the US. (I had it bad...) Many of them flew on routes flown only by regional jets today. For example, both United and Northwest scheduled 747 flights on the PDX-SEA route. American operated twice daily DC-10s between LGA and BUF. And, between ATL, BUF and YYZ, Eastern flew its L-1011.[/QUOTE]

Correct! I believe at this time that Eastern did not have nonstop route authority between Atlanta and Toronto but did have authority between Buffalo and Toronto. Thus the stop by the L-1011s in BUF. I also believe that EA operated two roundtrips a day on the ATL-BUF-YYZ routing.

And speaking of AA, I recall DC-10 service on the DFW-AUS and DFW-ELP routes within Texas. In fact, I flew out of AUS to DFW in F on an AA DC-10 back in the day when I had airline employee travel benefits.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 11, 2012 at 11:03 am
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Time to answer the "Jetstream" question, I think....

An operator of the original Handley Page HP 137 "Jetstream" twin turboprop was Santa Barbara-based Apollo Airways which later changed its name to Pacific Coast Airlines. This version of the "Jetstream" was powered by Turbomeca Astazou engines which were troublesome, to say the least. There were a number of incidents involving the Apollo/Pacific Coast "Jetstream" aircraft where single engine landings occurred due to the failure of the other engine while in flight. Santa Barbara residents (I was one at the time) referred to the initial airline as "Appalling Airways". After the name change, I worked directly with Pacific Coast Airlines and was responsible for their advertising campaign before I went to work for another commuter airline in California.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by jlemon
Correct! I believe at this time that Eastern did not have nonstop route authority between Atlanta and Toronto but did have authority between Buffalo and Toronto. Thus the stop by the L-1011s in BUF.
Allegheny also had to stop in BUF as part of the YYZ-EWR service. BAC111s, yesss !
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here's a couple from the March 15 1974 OAG...

1.) Which airline operated twice daily 747 service between Chicago and Miami?

2.) Which airline flew once a week 747 service between Houston and Los Angeles?

3.) Which airline flew 1 stop DC-10 service between Phoenix and Los Angeles? Where was the stop?

4.) Which airline flew a once daily 747 flight between Chicago to Tampa?

5.) Not including Eastern, which may or may not have kept a couple of Electras on hand to fill in on shuttle operations, name three North American airlines that still operated scheduled seervice with Lockheed Electras in 1974.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: All of them!
#5---Reeve in Alaska, and Air Florida for intra-Florida service?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Reeve and Air Florida would be correct. There were two more in Canada and one more in the U.S.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Reeve and Air Florida would be correct. There were two more in Canada and one more in the U.S.
Pacific Western and NWT Air in Canada.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:26 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
... and one more in the U.S.
Possibly Air California was still flying Electras then?

I logged many many thousands of miles on Reeve's Electras - still one of my favorite planes. Ridiculously comfortable.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Possibly Air California was still flying Electras then?

I logged many many thousands of miles on Reeve's Electras - still one of my favorite planes. Ridiculously comfortable.
Was PSA still flying Electras in 1974?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pacific Western was one of the Canadian operators. Did NWT Air even exist in 1974? I think that was all PWA territory back then. The other Canadian carrier was Nordair.

As to the US operators, I remember both Air California and PSA flying their Electras into Lake Tahoe during the 70s, primarily due to a ban on jet traffic at that airport. However, in the March 15, 1974 edition of the OAG, neither airline shows up in the schedules to Lake Tahoe. The other airline to operate an Electra does however, and that was Holiday Airlines.

I have fond memories of my only flight aboard a Reeve Electra, N1968R, the ex-Air New Zealand aircraft. Roomy, comfortable, huge windows and the daughter of our old Ester postmaster providing the great service!

I can remember the disappointment at having to fly on my first Electra back in 1966. We had been screwing around in Phoenix riding horses or something and as a result missed our scheduled flight up to Denver on a Western 720B. I was 8 years old and I was all about jets. Props were boring. Now I often wish I were born 10 or 20 years earlier just for all the great trains and planes that I missed out on. Still, I reckon I did pretty well anyway...

As to those other questions, they are eclectic enough that I'll just give you the answers now:

1.) Which airline operated twice daily 747 service between Chicago and Miami? Delta

2.) Which airline flew once a week 747 service between Houston and Los Angeles? National

3.) Which airline flew 1 stop DC-10 service between Phoenix and Los Angeles? Where was the stop? American ~ Palm Springs

4.) Which airline flew a once daily 747 flight between Chicago to Tampa? Northwest Orient

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 12, 2012 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1.)Pratt & Whitney's JT8D engine was the best selling powerplant of its day, perhaps of all time. Originally a military engine, it was introduced on Boeing's 727 in 1963. Over the years there were many increasingly powerful variants produced for the 727 and other aircraft. Here's the question:

What other commercial aircraft types did the JT8D power?

2.) What was the first commercial aircraft to break the sound barrier?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:18 pm

2.) What was the first commercial aircraft to break the sound barrier?
Canadian Pacific DC-8 pre-delivery flight.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Those shallow dives'll get you every time if you don't watch your speedometer... ^
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Indeed! This event occurred at Edwards AFB in the high desert north of Los Angeles. And the USAF chase aircraft operating with the DC-8, being a Lockheed F-104 "Starfighter", was flown by none other than Chuck Yeager.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As to the US operators, I remember both Air California and PSA flying their Electras into Lake Tahoe during the 70s, primarily due to a ban on jet traffic at that airport. However, in the March 15, 1974 edition of the OAG, neither airline shows up in the schedules to Lake Tahoe. The other airline to operate an Electra does however, and that was Holiday Airlines.

I have fond memories of my only flight aboard a Reeve Electra, N1968R, the ex-Air New Zealand aircraft. Roomy, comfortable, huge windows and the daughter of our old Ester postmaster providing the great service!

I can remember the disappointment at having to fly on my first Electra back in 1966. We had been screwing around in Phoenix riding horses or something and as a result missed our scheduled flight up to Denver on a Western 720B. I was 8 years old and I was all about jets. Props were boring. Now I often wish I were born 10 or 20 years earlier just for all the great trains and planes that I missed out on. Still, I reckon I did pretty well anyway...

My first airline flight ever was on board a PSA L-188 Electra from LAX to SFO. This trip was a birthday present from my Mom and Dad that enabled me to visit my Aunt and Uncle in the Bay Area. I was 10 years old at the time.

The years flew by (no pun intended) and I found myself on board an ex-Air Cal B737-300 operated by American on a flight from SFO to South Lake Tahoe (TVL) in order to join Mom, Dad and other family members for a family reunion at Fallen Leaf Lake (just over the ridge from TVL). The AA 733 service into South Lake Tahoe, which was inherited from Air Cal (which also operated MD-80s into TVL), did not last. And attempts by other operators to serve TVL using DC-9s and B737-200s were not successful as well. TVL has not had scheduled airline service for many years now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.