Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
It's been a while since any questions have been posted and I had the morning free, so...

Since then I've been waiting for a time of day to post when many of us are typically on the internet, and as such will allow more of us to have a reasonable chance to answer at least a few of these questions. Good luck, all!

3. This Midwestern airline ordered two 737-200C and one 737-200. Had it taken delivery of any of these aircraft (it never did), it would have been the first airline to operate the 737-200 Combi.

4. Which airline was instead the launch customer for the 737-200 Combi?

6. Which U.S. airline named its jets Vista Jets?

9. Which U.S. Airline was known as the Airline Of The Stars?

10. What was the first U.S. airline to sell tickets on the web in 1995 and the first to introduce web check-in, in September 1999?

For you timetable aficionados, the following questions are based upon schedules from the October 15, 1981 OAG. I reckon any diligent OAG readers should be able to come up with a good guess if not the correct answer right off the top of their heads.

11. This was the only airline offering nonstop service between New Orleans and Cleveland.
3. Wouldn't this one be Ozark?????
4. Wien Air Alaska
6. Allegheny
9. I THINK this one is National Airlines
10. Alaska Airlines
11. Wouldn't this one be United?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hi John! Welcome to the quiz! I saw the Cubbies play the Cards at Wrigley once. Great game and the Cubs won! Hohhhly Cow! As to the questions and answers...

3. This Midwestern airline ordered two 737-200C and one 737-200. Had it taken delivery of any of these aircraft (it never did), it would have been the first airline to operate the 737-200 Combi.

Wouldn't this one be Ozark?????
No, Ozark operated DC-9s. They did eventually place an order with Boeing but it (not a 737) also was never taken up.

4. Which airline was instead the launch customer for the 737-200 Combi?

Wien Air Alaska
Correct!

6. Which U.S. airline named its jets “Vista Jets”?

Allegheny
Right on!

9. Which U.S. Airline was known as the “Airline Of The Stars”?

I THINK this one is National Airlines
I think you're right!

10. What was the first U.S. airline to sell tickets on the web in 1995 and the first to introduce web check-in, in September 1999?

Alaska Airlines
Excellent answer!

For you timetable aficionados, the following questions are based upon schedules from the October 15, 1981 OAG. I reckon any diligent OAG readers should be able to come up with a good guess if not the correct answer right off the top of their heads.

11. This was the only airline offering nonstop service between New Orleans and Cleveland.

Wouldn't this one be United?
Back in the early 1970s it likely would have been but in the 1980s United started to scale back its hub at Cleveland and as of the 11/15/81 schedules the airline operating this flight was was a different, much smaller airline.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 10, 2012 at 12:26 am Reason: quote]
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
1. What was the first non-U.S. airline to launch a new Boeing aircraft? What kind of aircraft was it?

5. What was the first U.S. regional airline to inaugurate jet aircraft service? What kind of aircraft was it?

13. This airline operated the only daily nonstop 747 service between Washington Dulles and Chicago.

17. This airline offered nonstop single class service aboard a DC-10 between Honolulu and Los Angeles.
1 Lufthansa. Launch customer for the Boeing 737-100.
5 Mohawk Airlines. In 1965, they were the first US regional airline to inaugurate jet service using BAC One-Elevens.
13 I'm guessing this is United.
17 I'm guessing this is World Airways operating single class DC-10s.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by tonywestsider:

1. What was the first non-U.S. airline to launch a new Boeing aircraft? What kind of aircraft was it?

Lufthansa. Launch customer for the Boeing 737-100
Sie sind richtig, Herr Tony!

5. What was the first U.S. regional airline to inaugurate jet aircraft service? What kind of aircraft was it?

Mohawk Airlines. In 1965, they were the first US regional airline to inaugurate jet service using BAC One-Elevens.
Yes Sir! Correct on both counts!

13. This airline operated the only daily nonstop 747 service between Washington Dulles and Chicago.

I'm guessing this is United.
Sorry, guess again...

17. This airline offered nonstop single class service aboard a DC-10 between Honolulu and Los Angeles.

I'm guessing this is World Airways operating single class DC-10s.
Good guess! I flew on a World DC-10-30 from LAX to OAK back in 1980. One hour was enough on that plane! The seating was 3-4-3 and less comfortable than a Greyhound bus. Some of you may recall that when the DC-10 and L-1011 were introduced by most U.S. carriers in the early 1970s, they both offered spacious 2-4-2 seating.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: BA
It's been a while since any questions have been posted and I had the morning free, so...
Let me see if I can help with the non-US ones, although that's just a few.

The Boeing 737, with Lufthansa. Part of the problem of being first, this was for the 737-100, which was then rapidly supplanted by the larger -200 model, and Lufthansa ended up with an orphan fleet of the smaller aircraft, which they prematurely had to replace. Moral, there are downsides to being first.

7. What was the first airline to order and operate the Boeing 747F (The first 747 built as a freighter from the beginning of its production)
This was Air France, for quite some time they were the only operator.

8. At least three airlines have marketed their aircraft as “Starliners”. One was foreign and two of them American. Name the airlines and the aircraft so marketed.
The foreign one was British South American Airways, in business 1946-50. There's a complete list of their long-forgotten aircraft types here, almost all being by UK Manchester-based manufacturer Avro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...erican_Airways

BSAA is a fascinating little study (there was a book about them published recently), who never seemed to succeed but nevertheless operated halfway round the world. The aircraft overall were called Starliners, every one had an individual Star xxx name, the stewardesses were Stargirls, etc.

Extra trivia questions.
1. Which BSAA aircrew employee inspired their child to become a very well-known figure in the airline world a generation later ?

2. BSAA operated the first commercial flight to depart from which airport ?

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 10, 2012 at 4:07 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: Enough to travel better

Sorry, guess again...
Guessing again that this is American Airlines?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:57 am

Sorry, guess again...
My guess is that this was Northwest, a 747 routing New York JFK-Washington-Chicago-Tokyo. Not particularly competitive with Pan Am's pioneer nonstop (well, on a good day with a following wind, and if things still looked good when approaching Anchorage) flight from New York to Tokyo of those times, and I presume in the "old days" the fares were the same and interchangeable on all carriers.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
Let me see if I can help with the non-US ones, although that's just couple.

The Boeing 737, with Lufthansa. Part of the problem of being first, this was for the 737-100, which was then rapidly supplanted by the larger -200 model, and Lufthansa ended up with an orphan fleet of the smaller aircraft, which they prematurely had to replace. Moral, there are downsides to being first.
Correct! Kudos go to tonywestsider for mentioning this a couple back, but further color commentary is always welcome and you, WHBM are a great resource in that regard. Thank you.

7. What was the first airline to order and operate the Boeing 747F (The first 747 built as a freighter from the beginning of its production)
According to THIS SITE, it was Seaboard World Airlines. Further elucidation by anyone would indeed be appreciated...

8. At least three airlines have marketed their aircraft as “Starliners”. One was foreign and two of them American. Name the airlines and the aircraft so marketed.
The foreign one was British South American Airways, in business 1946-50. There's a complete list of their long-forgotten aircraft types here, almost all being by UK Manchester-based manufacturer Avro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...erican_Airways

BSAA is a fascinating little study (there was a recent book about them published recently), who never seemed to succeed but nevertheless operated halfway round the world. The aircraft overall were called Starliners, every one had an individual Star xxx name, the stewardesses were Stargirls, etc.

I was unaware of BSAA calling their aircraft "Starliners" though the evidence you submit indicates they were indeed named after stars. So, we'll go ahead and count them and that means there were still at least three other airlines, including one foreign one, that referred to its aircraft as "Starliners"

My guess is that this was Northwest, a 747 routing New York JFK-Washington-Chicago-Tokyo.
Excellent call, Sir. It was indeed a Northwest "Red Tail" operating as Flight 003.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:13 am

According to THIS SITE, it was Seaboard World Airlines. Further elucidation by anyone would indeed be appreciated
Indeed I find it was Seaboard (first 747F aircraft delivered 31 July 1974), they beat Air France (delivered 4 October 1974) to it by two months. It was just these two aircraft that were built for some time. Seaboard operated "scheduled" Transatlantic cargo services (scheduled in quotes because, like most cargo airlines, the published plan was constantly switched around as loads and part-loads were presented or not, to normal or to off-line points), and came through London Heathrow and various Continental European points. They were bought out by Flying Tiger in 1980, who in turn were absorbed by Federal Express a decade later, that first 747F continuing in service with all of them. Flying Tiger had until this time been a US domestic and Transpacific operator, merging with Seaboard gave them worldwide freight coverage.

BSAA "Starliners" ? Here they are. A fascinating overall website of 1940s airline operation, by the way.

http://www.flywiththestars.co.uk/Pic.../Maps/maps.htm

Anyone any thoughts on that BSAA offspring ? You've all heard of them !

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 10, 2012 at 5:34 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

Since then I've been waiting for a time of day to post when many of us are typically on the internet, and as such will allow more of us to have a reasonable chance to answer at least a few of these questions. Good luck, all!

1. What was the first non-U.S. airline to launch a new Boeing aircraft? What kind of aircraft was it? ANSWERED

2. In 1973, which airline and aircraft provided nonstop service between Los Angeles and San Juan, PR?

4. Which airline was instead the launch customer for the 737-200 Combi? ANSWERED

5. What was the first U.S. regional airline to inaugurate jet aircraft service? What kind of aircraft was it? ANSWERED

6. Which U.S. airline named its jets “Vista Jets”? ANSWERED

9. Which U.S. Airline was known as the “Airline Of The Stars”? ANSWERED

10. What was the first U.S. airline to sell tickets on the web in 1995 and the first to introduce web check-in, in September 1999? ANSWERED

12. This airline operated Martin 404s between Miami and Key West, Florida.

14. While two other airlines operated DC-9s on the 765 mile route between Houston and Mexico City, these two airlines offered 747 service.

15. Which two airlines provided the only nonstop jet service between Los Angeles and Fresno?

16. This airline provided once weekly nonstop jet service between Grand Junction and Los Angeles.

17. This airline offered nonstop single class service aboard a DC-10 between Honolulu and Los Angeles. ANSWERED

18. This airline operated daily nonstop DC-3 service between Tampa and Naples, Florida.

19. This airline operated one daily flight utilizing a single class DC-8-61 between Chicago and New York JFK?

20. Everyone knows that Northwest operated lots of flights from Minneapolis to all three New York airports. Only one other airline offered nonstop flights into any of the three New York airports. That airport was Newark. Name the airline.

21. This airline offered once weekly nonstop service between St. Kitts, Leeward Islands and New York JFK. Name the airline and the aircraft used on this route.

22. Name the four airlines that provided nonstop jet service between Denver and Phoenix.

23. This airline offered nonstop Fokker F28 service between Greensboro and Raleigh, NC.

24. This airline offered the only service between New York’s three airports and Utica, New York. Name the airline and the jet that it flew.

25. These two airlines operated daily nonstop Convair 580 service between Burbank and Lake Tahoe, CA.
2. Delta with a DC-8. The aircraft may have been a DC-8 Super 60 series. Or it may have been a good old fashioned DC-8 series 50.

And now I'll take a stab at several of the OAG based questions.....

12. Air Florida. I think they may have been also operating B737-200 flights between MIA and EYW in addition to their Martin 404 service at this time.

14. Air France and Pan Am. The AF routing was CDG-IAH-MEX and I believe some of these Air France flights were operated with a B747 Combi.

15. Three airlines come to mind: Air California, PSA and United. But, of course, we are looking for only two carriers here. So I'll go with Air California and PSA.

18. Provincetown-Boston Airlines (PBA).

20. US Air.

21. American Airlines with B707 service.

22. Continental, Frontier, United and Western.

23. Well, I wanted to say Piedmont. But I think it was actually Altair.

24. Empire with the Fokker F28.

25. Well, I know that Aspen was one of the carriers but I'm unsure of the other one....so I'll go with Sierra Pacific as the other CV580 operator BUR-TVL.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 10, 2012 at 8:08 am Reason: Additional answer
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow, jlemon! If I didn't know better I might think you'd authored the 11/15/81 version of the OAG. Excellent answers to all of the OAG based questions except for #21 (St. Kitts to JFK flight). As to question 2, you are indeed correct that Delta was the airline to fly for those desiring nonstop service between San Juan and Los Angeles.

Originally Posted by jlemon
2. In 1973, which airline and aircraft provided nonstop service between Los Angeles and San Juan, PR?

Delta with a DC-8. The aircraft may have been a DC-8 Super 60 series. Or it may have been a good old fashioned DC-8 series 50.
Back in 1973, Delta was ready when you were with a D8F departing LAX at 9:40pm, arriving San Juan at 7:33am the next morning. A full dinner was served enroute.

12. This airline operated Martin 404s between Miami and Key West, Florida.

Air Florida. I think they may have been also operating B737-200 flights between MIA and EYW in addition to their Martin 404 service at this time.
Right on! Air Florida offered travelers on the MIA-EYW RUN a colorful and eclectic choice between a 737-200 or a Martin 404. Pro Air also provided a nightly DC-3 service departing MIA at 7:00pm.

14. While two other airlines operated DC-9s on the 765 mile route between Houston and Mexico City, these two airlines offered 747 service.

Air France and Pan Am. The AF routing was CDG-IAH-MEX and I believe some of these Air France flights were operated with a B747 Combi.
Si, Seor! On Monday, Wednesday and Thursday Air France operated a 747 Combi on this run, replacing it with a standard 747 on Saturdays. I had the good fortune to occupy a First Class seat aboard Air France's 5:10pm departure out of Houston one spring evening in 1980. An upgrade to First Class cost just $26.00 more back then. I remember a delicious starter of Pt de Foie Gras and some type of canard (or was it poulet?)for the main course. Unfortunately, the upper deck had by then been changed over to an all economy class configuration. Pan Am was the other 747 operator on this route, additionally offering seats aboard a daily L-1011-500 and a 727-200.

15. Which two airlines provided the only nonstop jet service between Los Angeles and Fresno?

Three airlines come to mind: Air California, PSA and United. But, of course, we are looking for only two carriers here. So I'll go with Air California and PSA.
Having flown this route twice aboard United DC-8s back in the 1970s, the latest flight having come aboard a DC-8-61 in 1977, I would have picked United as one of the carriers. I would have been wrong. Way to break it down, Mr. Lemon. OC and PS are correct!

18. This airline operated daily nonstop DC-3 service between Tampa and Naples, Florida.

Provincetown-Boston Airlines (PBA).
Correct! As their name implies, PBA's principal route was between Provincetown and Boston. In 1958 a merger with Florida's Naples Airlines allowed for expansion into Florida though PBA never provided service between the Northeast and Florida. My first DC-3 flight came aboard a PBA flight between Miami and Naples in 1986.

20. Everyone knows that Northwest operated lots of flights from Minneapolis to all three New York airports. Only one other airline offered nonstop flights into any of the three New York airports. That airport was Newark. Name the airline.

US Air.
Correct!

21. This airline offered once weekly nonstop service between St. Kitts, Leeward Islands and New York JFK. Name the airline and the aircraft used on this route.

American Airlines with B707 service.
Alas, it was a different airline...

22. Name the four airlines that provided nonstop jet service between Denver and Phoenix.

Continental, Frontier, United and Western
You da man, jlemon! Excellent recall!

23. This airline offered nonstop Fokker F28 service between Greensboro and Raleigh, NC.

Well, I wanted to say Piedmont. But I think it was actually Altair.
This sure seems like a Piedmont route, and indeed it is but then I don't believe PI operated F28s until its purchase of Empire Airlines in 1985. Altair it is. Good call!

24. This airline offered the only service between New York’s three airports and Utica, New York. Name the airline and the jet that it flew.

Empire with the Fokker F28.
Nuff said. You are correct, sir.

25. These two airlines operated daily nonstop Convair 580 service between Burbank and Lake Tahoe, CA.

Well, I know that Aspen was one of the carriers but I'm unsure of the other one....so I'll go with Sierra Pacific as the other CV580 operator BUR-TVL.
Aspen was indeed one of the airlines. The other was Cal Sierra, a start-up commuter carrier based out of San Diego operating TVL-BUR-SAN service. Aspen offered nonstop TVL-LAX flights in addition to one stop direct flights via BUR, all operated with its colorful Convair 580s.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Way to burn through the questions, gang. These others remain unanswered, so I'll leave them out til this evening, then answer them and take an extended leave. Now, back to the squirrel hunt on this fine autumn morning here in East Ester.

16. This airline provided once weekly nonstop jet service between Grand Junction and Los Angeles.

19. This airline operated one daily flight utilizing a single class DC-8-61 between Chicago and New York JFK?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 11, 2012 at 11:53 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Way to burn through the questions, gang. These others remain unanswered, so I'll leave them out til this evening, then answer them and take an extended leave. Now, back to the squirrel hunt on this fine autumn morning here in East Ester.

In view of the fact that I did rather well with regard to my above answers, it appears I can now make some really wild guesses and hopefully not crash and burn too badly!

So here goes.....

3. North Central

16. United

19. United

21. BWIA?

BTW, I did a bit of research and discovered the following scheduled flight from JFK to St. Kitts back in early April of 1981:

AA 420: Depart JFK 11:20am, arrive SKB 2:15pm Equipment: B707 Note: operated on Thursday only.

However, this was probably the tail end of AA's winter schedule as the high season in the Caribbean usually begins around December 15 and then ends by April 15, and flight schedules are adjusted accordingly. Thus, October is not the high season in the Caribbean, so perhaps "Britain's Worst Investment Abroad" (also known as "Bee Wee") was picking up the slack here.

And for a truly wild guess, if it wasn't BWIA, perhaps it was Air Jamaica?

You'll also note I did not mention any equipment types as I really have no bloody idea.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm Reason: Removal of one crazy guess
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: All of them!
11) Service between MSY and CLE. This service is listed in the Continental Timetable (6/1/82) but operated by TI (Texas International)

19) Capital had a daily service ORD/JFK using "Super DC8".
Old Aug 11, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Gosh -- go away a few days and miss out on tons of discussions!

Anyway -- 11. Texas International -- DC-9 service 6 days/wk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.