Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

For tall and fat flyers ONLY

Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million

I tried to start this thread earlier, but it got merged into a general "rant" thread against "passengers of size" as page 11 and died a rapid death. So, I'm trying again.

I qualify as both tall and fat (none of that "size" junk; call me what I am) at 6'6" and just this side of 300 lbs. I grow weary of those who talk about their "right to recline" without ever mentioning common courtesy. I love terms like "seepage." (attempted sarcasm)

What I ask my brother (and sister) "biggies" (that's a nice term) to do is cite how our size has caused problems and what we have done to reduce the stress in an overly complaining world.

My first offering dealt with sitting in exit rows. The tray table is typically located in the arm rest. My "equator" often makes removal of the tray difficult by pressing against the side of the seat. My usual solution is to explain it before hand and offer to buy the other person a drink. Someone said I was far too noble--I just think courtesy makes the travel go better.

What have you experienced and how have you handled it?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: Independent
Wish I could give you positive advice on this, but don't have a lot. This is in fact why I work so hard for Platinum status, so that I mostly get upgraded. It's not the leg room for me - I can deal with that - it's the width. Back in the days when flights were rarely full it was easy for me to nab a window or aisle seat with no one in the middle - that works fine. In that case, I would often use the middle table for a surface. But those days are long gone. One too many huffy and rude encounters and I gave up on coach flying. If I cant find a way to earn status this year I might very well give up flying altogether.

A few things I do do - window seats in First to be less of a bother and get a little extra side space, but aisles in coach. I used to flip up the aisle armrest, but found that created more problems with carts and people walking by. If I am stuck in coach I almost always check my bag. And I am ruthless about checking the seating charts when getting my boarding pass. Cargo pants - I acan use the lower leg pockets which give just little more room for wallet and phone - I also stick my Mp3 payer in one. If I can avoid it I don't use the tray table - just too inconvenient. And, air. Plenty of it - keep the sweating down, and keeps my temper just a tad cooler, too. And if i know i am going to need an extension I try and ask before I sit down, but find that it is always hit and miss. If you do find yourself needing an extension, check to see that the seatbelt is not just twisted up particularly where it attaches to the seat frame.

Most importantly, try and book flights at less popular times. They tend to have just a little more flexibility.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
Originally Posted by Cloudship
And if i know i am going to need an extension I try and ask before I sit down, but find that it is always hit and miss. If you do find yourself needing an extension, check to see that the seatbelt is not just twisted up particularly where it attaches to the seat frame.
I actually OWN my extender. I can gauge the success (or not) of my current weight adjustment attempt by the need to use the extender. In First on AA, I usually get the seat belt around me without an extender. In coach, I will usually need the extender. Owning it is one of the best buys I ever made.

I use "SeatGuru" like a bible, and I know which seats are released 50 minutes before flight time. In the Admirals Club, I can be seen waiting at the service desk beginning 52 minutes before flight time.

I find that being tall is more of a comfort issue than being fat.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seriously, are we allowed to say tall now?

To avoid any hurt e-feelings, I thought it was Person of Height?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nerd
Seriously, are we allowed to say tall now?

To avoid any hurt e-feelings, I thought it was Person of Height?
POS was a person of weight.. and morphed into height..

I'm a big guy.. my femur fits with one or two inches clearance when seated.. Whether I'm 248 lbs (which I am now), or 285 lbs (which I was back then).. all seemed the same with me..

6'5" has generally been the difficulty sitting in Y.. But I've done it many a time..
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:04 am

I really hope this thread takes off. Especially considering budgetary concerns. I know the whole idea exists that the airlines are transporting more of me, so I should pay my fair share, but I don't need two whole seats, I need slightly more than one and more leg room.

The Really Big Seats I've talked about with Spirit offer 19 inch seat width and 38 inch seat pitch, and I was fine in those.

One time, I was forced to sit in coach (I was given 2 seats) despite having bought a really big seat - with a 29 inch pitch between seats, and some kid got my knee in his back the whole time. I felt bad, but I literally could do nothing about it.

I've noticed anytime I've flown, most flight attendants don't really super-check to see if my seatbelt is actually on.. if it's over my lap, that's usually good enough for them.

As I've said, I'm 6'6/375.. and I've probably weighed 100 pounds more in my life.. I look like a professional football player, so rarely has anyone given me lip during my adult years about anything.

My coping mechanism has been roadtrips.. I've driven to Alaska, 7 canadian provinces and 49 of the 50 states.. but I'd like to start leaving the continent at some point..
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I've got a triple whammy - 6'4" tall, 260lb (been as high as 300 but didn't fly when I was that heavy), and I fly nothing but Southwest, which has the narrowest seats in the industry and one of the shortest seat pitches.

I rarely fly for business; most of my flights are personal, and paid for out of pocket. I don't fly enough to have any kind of status or get any kind of upgrades, and I can't afford to fly a legacy and pay the extra for business or first class. I'm pretty well stuck with the LCCs, and given the choice between AirTran and Southwest, I chose Southwest becaue of their "no fees" policy. So I'm stuck in the smallest seats in the air.

I get by. I always get a window seat. I used to go to the back of the plane to maximize chances of having an empty middle next to me, but every flight I've taken the last 3 or 4 years has been sold out, so I've started heading for the exit rows now to get a little more leg room. I only take one carryon, so I can keep my underseat space free for my feet.

Fortunately, I almost always fly short hauls of 2 hours or so. But I have a cross-country trip coming up next year that I'd dreading. I might just save up a bit more and try flying a legacy with bigger seats, maybe business class.

Or I might save the money and load up on ibuprofin before takeoff.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:45 am

I'm 197cm (6'5), but a boney 70kg (155lbs), I think because I am so thin, the seats become very uncomfortable towards my rear end

As soon as I sit down in Y, I get the magazines and everything out of the seat pocket and stick it in the overhead. The worst feeling is having that metal bar (why can't all airlines use a pocket without that bar) jam into your knees.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I fly nothing but United so I can use the Economy + seats. At 6'5" and 285, I fit in E+ ok, if a bit snug in the seat. I fly enough to have mid-level status and get upgraded occasionally but spend more time in E+. Always on the aisle so I can run the outside leg along the outside of the seat in front and usually in an exit row. The exit seats are a bit narrower but usually have fixed arm rests that do not "ride up" like in the regular seats. The only part of me that spills over is my shoulders and I tend to have back aches from leaning away from my neighbor. I take pain meds on virtually every flight for that.

For short, regional carrier segments, I avoid the RJs and mostly fly the EMB-120 prop planes. Seats 9B and C have almost infinite legroom.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:51 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I've got a triple whammy - 6'4" tall, 260lb (been as high as 300 but didn't fly when I was that heavy), and I fly nothing but Southwest, which has the narrowest seats in the industry and one of the shortest seat pitches.
According to http://www.seatguru.com/charts/shorthaul_economy.php , Southwest seat's are 17.0" wide (typical narrow size) and 32" to 33" pitch (1" to 2" larger than the most typical standard economy seat pitch). So better for tall, but not wide, passengers than the typical standard economy seat.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD

I rarely fly for business; most of my flights are personal, and paid for out of pocket. I don't fly enough to have any kind of status or get any kind of upgrades, and I can't afford to fly a legacy and pay the extra for business or first class. I'm pretty well stuck with the LCCs, and given the choice between AirTran and Southwest, I chose Southwest becaue of their "no fees" policy. So I'm stuck in the smallest seats in the air.

I get by. I always get a window seat. I used to go to the back of the plane to maximize chances of having an empty middle next to me, but every flight I've taken the last 3 or 4 years has been sold out, so I've started heading for the exit rows now to get a little more leg room. I only take one carryon, so I can keep my underseat space free for my feet.

Fortunately, I almost always fly short hauls of 2 hours or so. But I have a cross-country trip coming up next year that I'd dreading. I might just save up a bit more and try flying a legacy with bigger seats, maybe business class.

Or I might save the money and load up on ibuprofin before takeoff.
Didn't know you were a big guy too..

We should start a big and tall FT group.. just to give us big guys some support..
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Ok I'm 6' 2" 260. Usually fly United E+. Few years ago l was assigned a aisle seat next to a guy much bigger than me. His three kids were across the aisle. I told him I had kids of my own and would be happy to take the aisle seat with two of them. Little one moved next to him and I got the older twins. We all had a ball.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Didn't know you were a big guy too..

We should start a big and tall FT group.. just to give us big guys some support..
Great idea! Let's make it, the group, FT XXXXL, happen!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: Independent
I usually avoid the exit rows, as the arm rests are usually not only fixed, but they also are a little wider, thus taking up even more room. But, there are some planes (wish Seatguru identified them) which have flip up arm rests in the exit rows.

It doesn't hurt to ask the gate agent if there are rows with empty seats, they will sometimes be willing to move you around. I have also occasionally had cases where there was a row of a few large guys and a row of fairly small people, and once everyone was on board the flight attendants let us move around a bit to make things more comfortable.

As for seat width, that is not so much the airline as the aircraft. 737s and 757s have seats which are a tad narrower than 320s. The Embrarer 175 and 295 are real nive - I believe it is a full inch wider than the Boeings. The MD88 seems a bit roomier to me as well, but only in coach, not so in First. On those, some versions with some airlines have a little more leg room in the back rows on the 2 side. I guess this has something to do with door layout. But dont know which ones they are.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Sky Miles, Air Tran A+
Last year, I discovered AirTran's Business Class seats. I loved them! It was certainly worth the extra fee to have a wider seat and to not feel like I was crowding someone else. Plus, when I mentioned to the FAs as I boarded that I would need a seat belt extender, they would get this glazed look in their eyes until I showed them my seat number -- it was amazing how fast the extender arrived after that. I even had Business Class to myself once - 2 FAs, just for me! However, now AirTran was taken over by Southwest, which has eliminated their Business Class (sometime in 2012, I think).

I'm female, gray-haired, over 40, short (5'2") and wide. Practically an invisible person as far as our society goes. You guys have an advantage when it comes to this hostility against large folks -- no one dares comment on it in your presence. With me it's different -- I look non-threatening and people seem to feel comfortable saying the rudest things directly to me.

I've now pretty much given up flying, for several reasons. First, I hate to pay all the new fees; second, I refuse to be felt up by the TSA and go through their NoS. But most of all, once I get on the plane, I am physically uncomfortable for the entire flight. Why subject myself to that? Frankly, I just want to travel in peace and be left alone, so I've stopped flying and started taking long roadtrips.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.