Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotel clean towel policy

Hotel clean towel policy

Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Hotel clean towel policy

What's worse that a hotel making you feel like you're barely human for daring to want a clean towel every now and again (when it's clearly in their own financial interests for you not to)?

A hotel that makes you feel like a kitten killer for wanting a clean towel that instructs you to leave your towel on the floor to get a clean one, or to put it back on the rack otherwise. You know, on top of the dry, clean ones.

I can live without a clean towel every day, just so long as there's a place I can leave my part-used towel other than the floor where it's not going to get the rest all manky. I presume modern towel rail technology exists in other hotels and homes within the Seattle area?

Anyway, rant over, I feel much better now. Thanks for your attention, you may go about your business now.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I just throw it over the shower rod.

Glad I could solve this pressing problem for you.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Weean
What's worse that a hotel making you feel like you're barely human for daring to want a clean towel every now and again (when it's clearly in their own financial interests for you not to)?
Can't say I've ever stayed in a hotel that made me feel "barely human" due to their towel policy! Which hotel or chain did you have in mind? Did they send you to the "towel policy re-education camp"?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
the place we stay often replaces the ones on the shower rod!..
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:35 pm

I stayed at a Starwood hotel recently and they had a little sign out that said something along the lines of "hang this sign on your door and we won't change your towels but we'll give you 500 SPG points per night". I happily went without a change of towels for a couple days (though, oddly enough, they did ignore the sign one night)
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Every hotel I've ever stayed in has a hook on the back of the door for hanging towels. And I've quite frequently seen the signs stating "a towel on the floor means 'please replace' " and such and never once felt like I'd killed a kitten by putting the towel on the floor.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Do you wash your towels at home every day? If not what do you do with it? Hang it on the towel rack to dry? On the hook on the back of the door? On the shower rod?

Nobody is asking you to kill a kitten, but a the same time most people don't need a new towel after each shower, but you have that option available to you if that's what you want.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
I stayed at a Starwood hotel recently and they had a little sign out that said something along the lines of "hang this sign on your door and we won't change your towels but we'll give you 500 SPG points per night". I happily went without a change of towels for a couple days (though, oddly enough, they did ignore the sign one night)
Love this, as a guy who spends 4-5 nights ay SPG hotels, the point I make off not getting my room services is often more than the base points themselves ^
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Do you wash your towels at home every day? If not what do you do with it? Hang it on the towel rack to dry? On the hook on the back of the door? On the shower rod?

Nobody is asking you to kill a kitten, but a the same time most people don't need a new towel after each shower, but you have that option available to you if that's what you want.
I'll preface this comment by saying that I don't care if I get a clean towel every day or if my sheets are cleaned daily while staying a hotel.

That being said, I think the idea of having all of these amenities at a hotel have long been standard because we are paying a sum of money that we deem worthy of a standard of living above our normal daily life where we don't wash our towels and sheets every day. Hotels are in fact our escape from reality. Would I take 500 SPG a night to not have these luxuries, but those are just my thoughts.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whilst I don't change my towels every day at home, I do hang them up beside a window so they can completely dry / air out between showers. It is horrible to try and dry youself with a still damp towel! The towel rails in hotel bathrooms are rarely heated, and there is not enough air circulation to get them bone dry between my morning and evening shower. I do expect washcloths changed everyday, just as I do at home.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at my club, a number of the people seem to need 4 towels to get the job done. i do not understand the clean towel for every drying crew. one is supposed to remove the filth and germs with bathing, not with towel abrasion.

i do not sleep on the sheets or pillowcase provided by the hotel. the chemicals used to clean the bedding would scorch fry a shoe. i bring my sleeping bag insert, and my own pillow case. i am not a cleanness freak, my skin just cannot tolerate those harsh chemicals.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while on the subject of towels, soaked towels make excellent hudimifiers. soak the towel, and put it over the heat source in the room to raise the humidity. i have tried filling the bathtub, and soaking the shower, but a couple of towels(clean or dirty) work best.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
I've stayed at a few Marriotts that made a similar offer although I didn't bother to keep track of which ones. I seem to remember one offering ~250 Marriott points for not having your towels changed and ~500 for not having service all together; you just had to hang the points request outside with your DND sign. Nice touch as it rewards those that help them control costs and I frequently skip/decline housekeeping service as when I travel for business I'm often working at the customer datacenter late at night and sleeping in the daytime.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Granted, I don't stay in hotels as often as most of my FT colleagues, but in my experience, the room attendants ALWAYS change the towels every day, even when I hang the card, or hang up the towels as instructed, or whatever.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Usually towels in the tub or on the floor is replaced..

If you want to reuse, just hang it over the rod or hook..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.