Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Minimum Check-in Age

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Question Hotel Minimum Check-in Age

Hopefully this post is in the right place...

I'm planning to make a trip later this fall to Chicago. I'm 19 and will be traveling alone. I am wondering how strict hotels are about a minimum check-in age. I am planning on staying at the Four Seasons and will be using a major credit card in my name, but I've heard the minimum check-in age for the hotel is 21. Does anyone have any advice for checking in?

One more thing ... I currently have the room reserved for two. Would it be better to only have it listed for one?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Check with the hotel. Call the hotel (not the 800#) and ask. Most hotels, particularly chains, are very strict about age (having at least one person checking in who meets whatever they require). It won't matter whether you have one or two people on the reservation.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Hotel says 21. I'm pretty much expecting every hotel in the area to be 21. I'm wondering if hotels tend to be very serious about age-checking w/ younger guests arriving alone.

Spoke to manager (instead of front desk) - hotel OK w/ 18 and over.

Last edited by eric.s; Oct 1, 2011 at 8:53 am
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eric.s
Hotel says 21. I'm pretty much expecting every hotel in the area to be 21. I'm wondering if hotels tend to be very serious about age-checking w/ younger guests arriving alone.

Make sure the manager puts a note in your reservation. Some hotels are very strict and others let it slide. Where you get in trouble is if the hotel is oversold when you check-in. If they can find a reason not to honor your reservation, it saves the hotel the costs associated with "walking" you.

The reasons here have largely to do with local liquor laws. I have no idea what Illinois law is on the subject, but it's more than possible that if the mini-bars stock liquor that they can't rent rooms to under-age guests.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
How old you look and act may also play into it. While most hotels will check id, they're principally looking for name, not DOB. If you look a little older, I doubt you'd have any problem.

Against that, the downside could be a pain in the neck, particularly if the city is full. Having the manager's name in the reservation record - and you noting the manager's name as well - will be a good idea.

If the hotel is on the ball, they will clean out the booze portion of the minibar in your room.

You might want to book with a fspp agent for the amenities as well. Plus, if things got sticky at checkin about age (ie: front office manager says, "he/she shouldn't have told you 18 was ok), having a fspp agent in your booking as well won't be a bad fact.

Have a great trip.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Also...welcome to ft!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by eric.s

It sounds like you will be fine checking-in. The manager probably has already noted the reservation.

Just check-in with confidence, and they probably won't even look at your date of birth on your ID anyway.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 2, 2011 at 6:51 am
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:28 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it now universal for everyone else that hotels ask for ID at check-in? I certainly don't encounter it that often. Credit card, yes, but not ID. The exception is international travel where hotels often are required to note your passport.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Is it now universal for everyone else that hotels ask for ID at check-in? I certainly don't encounter it that often. Credit card, yes, but not ID. The exception is international travel where hotels often are required to note your passport.
It varies by country; most of Europe has required passports forever, while other countries such as Australia require nothing. I've noticed that some hotels, esp. major chains, require id when they are oversold or the reservation has a particularly low rate, and not for rack rates Often a credit card is enough otherwise, at least in the US (but there may be difference between returning and first-time guests).
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
It sounds like you will be fine checking-in. The manager probably has already noted the reservation.

Just check-in with confidence, and they probably won't even look at your date of birth on your ID anyway.
I would not risk this in Chicago. If the reservation isn't noted and the check-in staff are not as charitable (remember, this is about local liquor laws), you are in a pickle. Just make the call to make sure your record is noted or you've got a cell # or somesuch and then stop worrying.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:43 am

This is the first I ever heard about age restrictions on check-in. Is it a US thing? In Bali, years ago, Amandari had a regular guest who was under 16. He used to go there alone to revise for his exams, flying solo from the UK. He told me once that he also stayed at The Mark (back in Rafael days) and this, too, did not appear to be a problem. Maybe the Platinum card helped.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
This is the first I ever heard about age restrictions on check-in. Is it a US thing? In Bali, years ago, Amandari had a regular guest who was under 16. He used to go there alone to revise for his exams, flying solo from the UK. He told me once that he also stayed at The Mark (back in Rafael days) and this, too, did not appear to be a problem. Maybe the Platinum card helped.
I would imagine it's a function of US liquor laws. Luxury hotels likely get a good number more 18-20 year olds traveling alone versus under 18s.

I've never heard of it being an issue or someone being denied check-in, but I can think that the worst that would happen is that the hotel would want to simply clear the booze out of the minibar. Having a good form of payment is really all I can imagine them caring about otherwise.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nba1017
I would imagine it's a function of US liquor laws. Luxury hotels likely get a good number more 18-20 year olds traveling alone versus under 18s.

I've never heard of it being an issue or someone being denied check-in, but I can think that the worst that would happen is that the hotel would want to simply clear the booze out of the minibar. Having a good form of payment is really all I can imagine them caring about otherwise.
Quite the contrary. In the USA, it is most often strictly enforced. Often an issue with under 21's in IRROPS situations at airports because it can be hard to find hotels to take them.

Unlikely a hotel will go through emptying a mini bar. Administratively, it's easier to simply not rent. Seems unfair, but this shouldn't be taken lightly, particularly at a hotel chain in a major city.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:04 pm

I never have any trouble checking in since I was 16. As long as you don't look like you're gonna trash the place, you will be fine. Booking a higher room category may also help you
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by harry0233
I never have any trouble checking in since I was 16. As long as you don't look like you're gonna trash the place, you will be fine. Booking a higher room category may also help you
Exactly. I remember checking into a hotel when I was 17 - no questions asked. There was a group of two couples, probably early 20s, and they hotel asked for id from all four of them.

I look a little older than i am, which probably helps, too. But, your behavior is the bigger factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.