Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

London Olympic flights: Buy now or wait?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

I hope this is the right forum for this.

As I've posted before, I'm taking my first international trip to the Olympics next year. Flights have been available for booking for a couple of weeks now, and most of the flights I've checked are about half full. Within a few dollars, the prices have not changed since being made available--and they're about twice the price that you could find on another date.

My question is, should I go ahead and make my reservation now or wait and hope the price goes down? There's one particular outbound flight I want and I don't want it to fill up (or at least fill up to the point where the price goes up).

Any input is appreciated!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Since you haven't indicated your routing I'll move it to TB for now. Where are you leaving from? Airline of choice?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

I usually don't have a preferred airline (even though my preferred flight is on American). Departure would be from Memphis.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
some threads in the last 2 or 3 months have moaned about tickets for october fest....i wouldn't expect a deal....have you looked at other destinations w/train/lcc to get there & back?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Market conditions -- I would expect a huge demand for seats to the Olympics. Why would prices come down? If you really want to go, and know the flight(s) you want, why are you waiting?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clacko
have you looked at other destinations w/train/lcc to get there & back?
I have, but since this is my first international and first major solo trip, I want to keep things simple.

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Market conditions -- I would expect a huge demand for seats to the Olympics. Why would prices come down? If you really want to go, and know the flight(s) you want, why are you waiting?
That's what I'm thinking too. I guess what's holding me back is the (slight) chance that my company will transfer me before then, and then I'll have to pay some outrageous change fee.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:11 am

If you're seeing tickets at a price you're willing to pay, go ahead and get them. Since it is during the Olympics, it's very unlikely prices will go down.

It sounds like the odds of your company transferring you are small, so I wouldn't worry about the change fee for now.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:59 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Ask your company to pay the change fee? Either way i'd go with buying now, I doubt price and availability are going to improve
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
If I could accurately predict airline prices months into the future, I would retire to a South Seas island and spend my days with non-alcoholic fruity drinks served with little paper umbrellas.

But seriously... if you see a fare you like, buy it. Talk to your employer about covering you for any change fees, should you be transferred between now and then.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:59 pm

I'd book your trip now. The earlier the better.

When I was thinking about going to Wrestlemania in Atlanta, I kept procrastinating and believing that prices would decrease. But they didn't and actually went up slowly as time passed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.