Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from SEA to DCA on a Saturday Evening

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Getting from SEA to DCA on a Saturday Evening

So business has me flying to SEA on 10/27, and there's a luncheon on 10/29 that I don't absolutely have to attend but it would look good if I did. The problem is that the last flight I can find out of SEA to DCA is the nonstop on Alaska Airlines that leaves at 2:05p. While I prefer a *A carrier, and am willing to have a connection to do so, I'm willing to fly on a different airline to avoid spending another night in Seattle and I'm willing to fly home to either BWI or IAD if DCA isn't available. To my amazement, the only other remotely reasonable flight I could find was a 2:25p that arrives at IAD at 1:00a and a 7:30p that red-eyes into IAD at 6:30a, both on United.

Does this sound right?

Last edited by BOS TO DCA; Sep 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:25 pm
mpp

If you don't mind a two-stop you can go through PDX. United through ORD leaves at 11:20p m and Continental through IAH leaves at 11:40pm.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by BOS TO DCA
So business has me flying to SEA on 10/27, and there's a luncheon on 10/29 that I don't absolutely have to attend but it would look good if I did. The problem is that the last flight I can find out of SEA to DCA is the nonstop on Alaska Airlines that leaves at 2:05p. While I prefer a *A carrier, and am willing to have a connection to do so, I'm willing to fly on a different airline to avoid spending another night in Seattle and I'm willing to fly home to either BWI or IAD if DCA isn't available. To my amazement, the only other remotely reasonable flight I could find was a 2:25p that arrives at IAD at 1:00a and a 7:30p that red-eyes into IAD at 6:30a, both on United.

Does this sound right?
Yes.

You need to work backward from last flight arrival time into DCA, subtracting flying time SEA-DCA and PST to EST time change.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by BOS TO DCA
To my amazement, the only other remotely reasonable flight I could find was a 2:25p that arrives at IAD at 1:00a and a 7:30p that red-eyes into IAD at 6:30a, both on United. Does this sound right?
Yes, because there is no market for eastbound flights that arrive at 300a or 400a local time. The eastbound flying window opens at about 1000p and lasts until about 230p, as you've discovered, although as a practical matter there are no departures between 100a and 500a.

Besides the UA itin you mentioned, which I presume connects through SFO, I know of another exception -- there are US flights SEA-PHX departing at 530p and 830p or so; they both connect to a bank of US eastbound flights leaving PHX between 11p and 12a. You get where you're going around 700a or 730a or so. Not sure if DCA is on the destination list (it would be if John McCain had his way) or only IAD.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You haven't told us how early on 10/28 you can leave SEA, but there are options between 2:15 and 3:00 PM on Jet Blue & UA via LGB and ORD respectively which get you into WAS late PM. There are also later options which connect to red eyes. My personal preference is to connect through SFO or LAX onto one of the UA red eyes because you get the albeit short overnight on the TCON. There are also red eyes through DEN, ORD and MCI on various carriers, but those most often overnight at the connection meaning that you need a room at an airport hotel and start the day out somewhere else.

All depends on your tolerance for red eyes and your budget.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
Uh, 30 seconds at .bomb reveals that UA 905 leaves SEA at 11:25 p.m. and arrives at IAD at 7:25 a.m.

I've taken that flight several times and it is about typical for a redeye. As a plus, a 1P is likely to get UDU on it, though first class on a 757 is nothing to write home about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.