Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long haul infrequent flyers - any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Long haul infrequent flyers - any suggestions

My mother in law just arrived in the US from China, flying UA F. While the flight was fine, she didn't get much sleep due to turbulence. She also has the problem flying CX F. My wife and I, who fly regularly, don't have an issue. She flies once every 1-2 years, domestic and long haul.

I think this has to do with points of reference. Frequent flyers are always in the air, understand turbulence, and tune it out. However, landlubbers frame of reference is terra firma. So even slight turbulence is unsettling. I guess it's "John McClane" syndrome?

Does anyone have any recommendations, short of flying more, in terms of medication, diet, process to reduce the effects of turbulence when flying UA F long haul?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Unisom or Dramamine. You didn't explain the issue though. Motion sickness, inability to sleep, anxiety? Also, confused as to what you meant by CX F having the same issues and why you're looking for a recommendation specific to flying UA F. Turbulence doesn't discriminate last time I checked .
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Good points.

The issue is that she is used to sleeping on a bed that doesn't move. I'll try another analogy. When I go on a cruise, it usually takes me a night or 2 to get used to the rocking motion.

As to the reference to CX F, it's a data point regarding the product. Some folks may say that UA's bed is hard for example, and offer a suggestion in that realm. Both planes were B747s. So some folks may say choose a B777 route, since the planes fly smoother, for example. Or UA may have some sort of process/solution unique to UA that helps the situation. I believe that Swiss Air used to serve apple juice as a remedy to turbulence or something similar? That may have been an old wives' tale?

Perhaps a melatonin would help?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
There's no measurable difference in terms of passengers experiencing turbulence between 747's and 777's. If there's turbulence in the air you're going to feel it. This topic is definitely not UA specific. Get mom a sleeping pill prescription.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It may not be a major effect, but the smallest motions will be near the CG of the plane. So the last row of F (assuming F is in the front of the plane), the lower deck of the 747, and aisle seats will all have slightly less motion than their counterparts (just like a cruise ship, where the least motion is an inside cabin, midships, low deck).

Alcohol is generally also a bad idea, as it will dehydrate you. Hydration is critical for maintaing equilibrium.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by keloutwest
Unisom or Dramamine. You didn't explain the issue though. Motion sickness, inability to sleep, anxiety? Also, confused as to what you meant by CX F having the same issues and why you're looking for a recommendation specific to flying UA F. Turbulence doesn't discriminate last time I checked .

Are you sure? I thought CX made sure that there's less turbulence for it's passengers, especially in F.
Or maybe UA pays to have more turbulence!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Let's just say - the Mother Nature is fair.

Turbulence? All suffer.

It has nothing to do with cabin at all.

The only way to get used to it is - fly more
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
Let's just say - the Mother Nature is fair.

Turbulence? All suffer.

It has nothing to do with cabin at all.

The only way to get used to it is - fly more
I don't think it has to do with being a frequent or infrequent flyer. It's more to do with how easily one can sleep through disturbances. I can fall asleep with people walking around the room making noise, with the lights on, etc., and not surprisingly, I had no trouble sleeping for 7 hours straight on a NRT-SFO flight.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I wonder if breaking up the flights would help?

little_1780
is cool on domestic flights. However, he always seems to get sick on the ORD-OGG/HNL flight. He's cool on the way back, but we are forced to stop at LAX/SFO.

Maybe try going China-TYO/KIX/GUM/HNL-USA?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
A 777 is smoother-riding than a 747? I haven't noticed that, but even if true, I doubt that subtle differences would be relevant to someone who has trouble sleeping due to turbulence. I'd suggest they visit their physician and see what might be prescribed to knock them out for a bit.

As for turbulence being something you get used to, maybe for some, but not all. Some have never been bothered by it (a camp I'm in) while others will anxiously clutch the armwrest at the slightest turbulence even after years of flying. For me, I can't sleep on a plane unless there is a bit of turbulence. The steady unbroken droning causes me to be restless. Go figure.

Maybe the best bet, aside from a prescription, would be to not get anxious about not sleeping and make sure they've got something to pass the time with. Get them familiar with the movies that will be shown ahead of time and see if any are of interest to them. Chances are better than average that, if they get comfortable and distracted, they may get tired and just doze off.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:31 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Next time why don't you fly her over in economy, to give her something else to distract her instead of the turbulence.

Then maybe she'll be grateful for F on the return...

That, and an Ambien.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TA
Next time why don't you fly her over in economy, to give her something else to distract her instead of the turbulence.
I'm trying to get her to sleep. How will being in economy then in first on the return help sleep? Can you point to any experiences?

You think distractions help - like watching movies before sleeping? Doesn't seem logical.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by bmchris
I'm trying to get her to sleep. How will being in economy then in first on the return help sleep? Can you point to any experiences?

You think distractions help - like watching movies before sleeping? Doesn't seem logical.
I think after flying coach one way you would be some relieved to be in first that you'd just fall asleep!

Distractions can help. Flights can be strange for some people in that they are not your normal routine. many of us dont come home from work and think... I have 9 hours before going back out the door to work so I'll eat immediately when i get home (= straight after take off) and then force myself to go to sleep.

most people watch tele, play on the computer etc etc and unwind. being on a plane, especially in First or business class some people feel obligated to TRY and sleep because after all that is what they have paid for!

For me now i just have a light meal 9being too full doesnt help) and then just do whatever until i want to fall asleep naturally. Sometimes it doesnt work out because then i only get an hour or two sleep before being woken up for landing, but that one or two hours is better than just lying there tossing and turning trying to force myself to sleep...
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Just to clarify, the turbulence doesn't stop her from sleeping. Rather it wakes her when she is asleep.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by bmchris
Just to clarify, the turbulence doesn't stop her from sleeping. Rather it wakes her when she is asleep.
I would think this would be true for most people.

I have no idea how to "reduce the effects of turbulence", which you've now explained as meaning she wakes up. Maybe get lots of exercise before the flight so she's tired, or take a sleeping pill.

Or just be tired and get sleep the next day when she gets off the plane. I can't see how this is really such a big issue once or twice a year.

P.S. Is your post serious?

Last edited by 6rugrats; Sep 18, 2011 at 9:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.