Search

Rudest Airport Award goes to....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:23 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo
Original Poster

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Rudest Airport Award goes to....

Any airports in particular you always feel the staff is rude at?

I don't fly often, but the 7 or so times I've been by MIA , the staff I talk to are ridiculous. Its not even a certain company or airline, just the staff there in general seem to have too much crap accumulated up their ***.

tally from aug 16, 2011 to dec 31, 2012
LAX - 22
MIA - 19
PHL - 15
EWR - 14
FRA - 8
LHR - 7
JFK - 6
ATL - 5

Last edited by caGALINDO; May 7, 2014 at 9:29 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX wins hands down in my book. I will never fly through there again if I can help it.

Last edited by planemechanic; Aug 16, 2011 at 9:15 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
MIA is #1 for me. PHL is #2 except for the Red Carpet and Admirals Clubs.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: CO Gold
MIA is a zoo....only time in the last 7 years I've been there is when I HAVE to be there (like flying to ANU where AA is the only reasonable choice)

EWR comes 2nd but its NYC-area so I can handle it
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
MIA is a zoo....only time in the last 7 years I've been there is when I HAVE to be there (like flying to ANU where AA is the only reasonable choice)

EWR comes 2nd but its NYC-area so I can handle it
MIA seems to be a different culture. I fly through there often and it seems Spanish is the dominant language. Many hide behind the language to not do the job right I guess. I recently had a 2 hour layover from mainline to Eagle become a dash for my flight (d16 to d60). Arrived at d60. Had no clue if they were boarding. Walked up to the GA and asked and got a blank stare like she did not understand me. Took my boarding pass from me, processesed it and waved me toward the door. Door was locked. She had to open it for me. The nex two people encountered getting to the gate spoke Spanish to me first seeming to be confused why I was where I was.

I had less troubles in Paris and speak less French.

But don't get me too started on CLT. Southern hospitality is nothing more than two words for lazy. Airline, restaurant, cleaning staff all seem to not understand they are there to serve. But this seems to be a problem with the customer service industries everywhere. Like many airlines, u just accept what you have to go through to get so where. Each one has it's flaws, hence Flyertalk.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Frankfurt. Or maybe just Germany.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
EWR (Sewark)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
My vote goes too EWR.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX without a doubt - in particular those TSA agents, parking attendants and janitors.

Transited in MIA twice in 08 and didn't find it too bad than what I had expected but with a sample size like that, I'm not in the best of position to fully judge.

SYD in my experience has some of the rudest & racist immigration staff I have experienced. But the security agents and other airport employees are mostly fine.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I think CAI takes the cake.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
LAX is brutal..

Not that its rude.. but I don't think Customs and TSA really care much about the customer service aspect..
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
SYD in my experience has some of the rudest & racist immigration staff I have experienced. But the security agents and other airport employees are mostly fine.
I've passed through SYD many, many times and have always found the immigration officials to be fine. I'd be interested in hearing what happened to make you feel differently.

The rudest that I've found is LHR. More than once I've found myself being interrogated by young women who appear to be around 16 years of age who do convincing Vicky Pollard impressions while spraying saliva at me and demanding "wotsa purpose of yer visit ta Brit'n ven, eh?". To be fair, it's not only at Thiefrow, but this person was also cloned at the Eurostar entry to London last time I visited.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I've passed through SYD many, many times and have always found the immigration officials to be fine. I'd be interested in hearing what happened to make you feel differently.
I've been heavily questioned and sent to secondary there more often than I have in any other airports I have traveled through. And the encounters are not pleasant at all. Even after arriving on direct flights from NZ or the US I get asked questions like "Am I bringing fortune cookies?" and most of the people I see that are sent to secondaries are people of Asian/Middle Eastern/African descent. They once broke my luggage at secondary by slamming it to the ground after an early morning arrival back in 2006.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by FLgrr
But don't get me too started on CLT. Southern hospitality is nothing more than two words for lazy. Airline, restaurant, cleaning staff all seem to not understand they are there to serve. But this seems to be a problem with the customer service industries everywhere. Like many airlines, u just accept what you have to go through to get so where. Each one has it's flaws, hence Flyertalk.
Unfortunately, CLT has been overrun with the old PIT/PHL attitude from Allegehny on the US side, and because US is the dominant carrier some of the employees think that they 'own' the airport. The assorted vendors (shops/food) are most likely covered by whatever level of employee that they can get at the wage offered.

Recently airport operations has started a program about customer service to try and get all the various employee groups at the airport to remember that they all represent CLT. Have to give it time to see if it will work as intended.

I think, to a certain degree, southern hospitality is fading away at least in some cities as new people move in from places outside the geographical south. Also possibly affected by what could be seen as a decline in overall civility/politeness in some of the younger generation as they go into various parts of the workforce.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I wouldn't say rude, I'm not sure of the correct way to describe it however. There is a valid reason behind their word choices and delivery.

Most are great people, depends which job function they are doing that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.