FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Rudest Airport Award goes to.... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1248453-rudest-airport-award-goes.html)

bcapehart Aug 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Denver is the rudest because it looks like a hoodiddly.

spd476 Aug 18, 2011 1:31 pm

I have to agree with MIA. I've only been there once and that was enough for me. I've only been through FRA once and it wasn't bad. I was a little worried about a patdown after setting off the WTMD. I've heard stories on here about, but it wasn't as bad as what I've received in the US.

Supersonic Swinger Aug 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Prague's Franz Kafka International Airport

http://www.theonion.com/video/prague...lds-mos,14321/

Ancien Maestro Aug 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by bcapehart (Post 16948210)

Denver is not too bad..

But the last time there was a bit of an experience.. as we had to switch out of two UA planes.. The third UA plane was a charm..

BadgerBoi Aug 19, 2011 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated (Post 16937596)
I've been heavily questioned and sent to secondary there more often than I have in any other airports I have traveled through. And the encounters are not pleasant at all. Even after arriving on direct flights from NZ or the US I get asked questions like "Am I bringing fortune cookies?" and most of the people I see that are sent to secondaries are people of Asian/Middle Eastern/African descent. They once broke my luggage at secondary by slamming it to the ground after an early morning arrival back in 2006.

I hope you lodged a complaint about the damage to your luggage, that's just not acceptable. I would have wanted to be compensated for that broken bag, whether it was done on purpose or due to neglectful behaviour.

I would have thought, given Australia's ethnic make-up, that Sydney's immigration officials wouldn't have had a problem dealing with people of Asian or Middle Eastern descent - fewer African people here than in a lot of other places, I guess. In fact I quite a number of airport officials in Sydney appear to come from those ethnic groups. Maybe you're experiencing some kind of reverse racism if you're constantly being selected for secondaries.

I wonder if for some reason you have been flagged for special attention for some reason (not necessarily a valid reason).

I know that in Syd they come down hard on people trying to bring food in from overseas, and for good reason.

RandomTaiwanese Aug 19, 2011 12:36 am

LAX. I broke the record of longest time spent in immigration there. All other entry points in the US take less than five minutes, but my last time at LAX took more than an hour to 'verify' my documents.

After the first officer sent me to secondary screening, he went on lunch break about 15minutes later. Passing the second officer who was screening, he told the second officer that 'he should be OK', which I found extremely paradoxical because why had he sent me to secondary in the first place?

Thankfully I did not have any ongoing connections out of LAX.

Ancien Maestro Aug 19, 2011 12:49 am

Originally Posted by RandomTaiwanese (Post 16951700)
LAX. I broke the record of longest time spent in immigration there. All other entry points in the US take less than five minutes, but my last time at LAX took more than an hour to 'verify' my documents.

After the first officer sent me to secondary screening, he went on lunch break about 15minutes later. Passing the second officer who was screening, he told the second officer that 'he should be OK', which I found extremely paradoxical because why had he sent me to secondary in the first place?

Thankfully I did not have any ongoing connections out of LAX.

Is it just an hour you spent there? or did you spend LAX customs longer?

We waited a total of 3 hours..

Rejuvenated Aug 19, 2011 1:25 am

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 16951663)
I hope you lodged a complaint about the damage to your luggage, that's just not acceptable. I would have wanted to be compensated for that broken bag, whether it was done on purpose or due to neglectful behaviour.

I did. Never got a response from them at all.

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 16951663)
I would have thought, given Australia's ethnic make-up, that Sydney's immigration officials wouldn't have had a problem dealing with people of Asian or Middle Eastern descent - fewer African people here than in a lot of other places, I guess. In fact I quite a number of airport officials in Sydney appear to come from those ethnic groups. Maybe you're experiencing some kind of reverse racism if you're constantly being selected for secondaries.

Most of the grilling I have received have come from the Caucasian Women Staff and some Aboriginals (if that's who they really are, I'm only going based on my perception). I would say only 30% of my entries through there have come without silly questionings, scrutiny, and/or secondaries. I have had many occassions where I'm just spending one night for transit and so on. FYI, I've been sent to secondaries a few times in AKL (one of my home airports) for weird itineraries but at least have been treated with better courtesy.

BTW this seems to be a SYD problem as I've had little issues clearing through MEL & BNE.

Crazyhotelguy Aug 19, 2011 5:51 am

1. MIA - this is the only airport in the US where I question if I am still in the US when I land. Rudest, most unhelpful people....

2. PHL - bad attitudes all around

3. Lax/JFK - Hit or miss, often more miss.

4. PHX - i think its the "i don't give a crap" attitude that bugs me most.

sbeach Aug 19, 2011 5:55 am

PHL

It has to be PHL for me too. The retail people have been very nice, but anyone in airline or DNS have been downright mean. Especially international arrivals... "Welcome to America! "

BadgerBoi Aug 19, 2011 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated (Post 16951812)

That doesn't make any sense - I would have followed it up if I didn't get a response within a reasonable time. I would think they would take this sort of complaint quite seriously. Deliberately damaging your luggage just isn't on.

Most of the grilling I have received have come from the Caucasian Women Staff and some Aboriginals (if that's who they really are, I'm only going based on my perception). I would say only 30% of my entries through there have come without silly questionings, scrutiny, and/or secondaries. I have had many occassions where I'm just spending one night for transit and so on. FYI, I've been sent to secondaries a few times in AKL (one of my home airports) for weird itineraries but at least have been treated with better courtesy.

BTW this seems to be a SYD problem as I've had little issues clearing through MEL & BNE.

I can't say that I've ever noticed immigration staff of Aboriginal descent at SYD, I would challenge your comment that you are being selected by "some Aboriginals" for grilling. I would have thought that somebody who has spent a considerable length of time in Australia, as you seem to have from your comments, would be able to discern if "that's who they really are".

To be honest, there's a lot that doesn't quite ring true regarding your experiences at SYD.

BadgerBoi Aug 19, 2011 6:14 am

That doesn't make any sense - I would have followed it up if I didn't get a response within a reasonable time. Deliberately damaging your possessions just isn't on, and I'm sure that the authorities would have taken your complaint quite seriously.

There's a lot that puzzles me regarding your experiences in SYD.

CavePearl Aug 19, 2011 6:30 am

Originally Posted by bcapehart (Post 16948210)

That's hilarious!

But nope. Nothing compares to ATL. Rudest. Airport. Ever.

DesertNomad Aug 19, 2011 8:36 am

JFK. I had just arrived from Istanbul, walking toward immigration behind a 60-ish Turkish woman who speaks no English. There was a woman directing people to the right queues and when the Turkish woman stopped for a moment to figure out where to go the customs agent walked up to her, stood close by and yelled "Are you American? I - DON'T - THINK - SO. Go stand over there".

Welcome to the USA I guess.

Ancien Maestro Aug 19, 2011 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 16952457)
4. PHX - i think its the "i don't give a crap" attitude that bugs me most.

There's been some good comments about PHX.. We went through PHX spring break and it seems like a pretty relaxed atmosphere there..

Although we did go through in the early morning.. so maybe we missed something