FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Rudest Airport Award goes to.... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1248453-rudest-airport-award-goes.html)

Shimon Aug 17, 2011 8:11 am

How do you get to interact with the staff? Are you not flying C or F? Are you not being rushed through the airport straight into the lounge?

Wilbur Aug 17, 2011 8:34 am

PHL is far and away the winner.

LAX is also a fine example for the West Coast.

honeytoes Aug 17, 2011 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Wilbur (Post 16939318)
PHL is far and away the winner.

LAX is also a fine example for the West Coast.

PHL, indeed. I hate PHL airport people. Rude, disinterested, and not too bright, IME.

William S Aug 17, 2011 10:21 am

SVO no doubt... People at SU transfer desk barks like crazy.

HomerJ Aug 17, 2011 10:30 am

LAX does suck...

...and have had some less than pleasant experiences at BOS.
However the TSA folks at ICT are always pleasant, make jokes and seem to be quite happy with their jobs.

dddane Aug 17, 2011 11:17 am

As far as airport traffic staff... Chicago has the rudest traffic agents I've encountered at any airport. O'hare mainly, but sometimes Midway

You can use the cell phone lot all day long, call your party, pull up to get them, make eye contact, and they'll still start screaming at you regardless. Hearing profanity being screamed at you from these city workers isn't unusual at all either. It's important to remember these aren't cops in Chicago, and they really have very little authority and can't really do much other than yell. I have no problem yelling back at them if they're rude.

I've seen other airport where they were nearly as strict, but never as rude.

SJCFlyerLG Aug 17, 2011 11:24 am

I agree with MIA as the worst domestic airport. SJU is pretty bad, considering that virtually all the passengers are happy vacationers. The staff there are quite intolerant. Internationally, I have always disliked the KLM staff at AMS - they believe that their goal in life is to prevent passengers from having any carry-on baggage. I think they are the most aggressive in the world confronting carry-ons.

donnde Aug 17, 2011 12:13 pm

SJU. In 15 minutes I went from dealing with a food vendor who would not speak to me to an American Eagle GA with an attitude. The vendor stood behind the counter without making eye contact until I realized she was waiting for me to place my order (and I was the only one at the counter). I didn't realize that a hand on her hip and rolling of her eyes meant that was my cue. When I got to the cash register she punched in the amount and again stood there. When I asked how much, she spun the little display around and pointed to the numbers. I then wandered over to the gate and made the mistake of politely asking the GA the status of my long-delayed flight (as apparently others had been doing) and was told that if all of us passengers weren't nicer to her, she wasn't going to give out any more information. I felt like I was part of an SNL skit.

mikeef Aug 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Wow, so many contenders. It's tough, but I really have to go with MIA (It's the only airport that actually makes me shudder from fear just thinking about it.), followed closely by PHL and EWR. My experiences at LAX actually haven't been too bad.

Mike

b1513 Aug 17, 2011 2:01 pm

PHL for sure, IMO, especially the F terminal.

Bobette

wolfie_cr Aug 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by FLgrr (Post 16936486)
MIA seems to be a different culture. I fly through there often and it seems Spanish is the dominant language. Many hide behind the language to not do the job right I guess. I recently had a 2 hour layover from mainline to Eagle become a dash for my flight (d16 to d60). Arrived at d60. Had no clue if they were boarding. Walked up to the GA and asked and got a blank stare like she did not understand me. Took my boarding pass from me, processesed it and waved me toward the door. Door was locked. She had to open it for me. The nex two people encountered getting to the gate spoke Spanish to me first seeming to be confused why I was where I was.

well I wasnt going to mention it but......I am Latino and not US citizen or resident. I sense some sort of superiority complex coming in from Latinos/Latino descent people over there.....and I simply dislike the environment at MIA. I guess I can't really explain it but if I am going to be treated rudely when travelling abroad...at least I can do it in place where I actually feel like a foreigner :)

it did happen a couple of times, that a GA talked to me , for example, when I missed my connection after immigration took 2 hours and a half! ....she talks to me in Spanish (ok thats fine).....she doesnt like what I said which was basically "hey its not my fault" .....turns around and speaks in "Cuban English" to her colleague .....so I had to dig out my "Midwest wanna be " accent (my wife is American so I have practiced English everyday in the last 11 years...) and of course things do downhill when I can speak with better accent than them "EXCUSEEEEEEEEE ME ....no.....I don't want to leave tomorrow , I want to leave on AA xyz.....it leaves in 1 hour...put me in that one"

MIA makes me feel like I just landed in a traffic jam in my own hometown ...after a futbol (soccer) game......in other words , pure madness

STBCypriot Aug 17, 2011 2:43 pm

In the USA, JFK is #1 for me. Outside the USA, SVO is the winner, followed closely by any other airport in Russia and SOF.

deltheking Aug 17, 2011 6:08 pm

Frankly, all US airports are so much better than European airports. If US airport staff are rude, then Frankfurt is nasty. Seriously -- FRA has the rudest staff I have ever seen.

Personally , for me - staff at any US airport are OK. Yes- the degree of friendliness and help may vary - but in general the staff are helpful unless you are a real pain !!:D

Analise Aug 17, 2011 6:18 pm

EWR...who needs it.

Ancien Maestro Aug 18, 2011 12:49 am

Originally Posted by deltheking (Post 16943304)
Frankly, all US airports are so much better than European airports. If US airport staff are rude, then Frankfurt is nasty. Seriously -- FRA has the rudest staff I have ever seen.

Personally , for me - staff at any US airport are OK. Yes- the degree of friendliness and help may vary - but in general the staff are helpful unless you are a real pain !!:D

I'm french Canadian Born.. and I find that the french agents over the phone can be downright nasty..

I couldn't imagine the agents in FRA..:eek: