Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kingston Wi-Drive on a plane?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Kingston Wi-Drive on a plane?

I'm about to embark on a long series of plane rides & was thinking of loading up a Kingston Wi-Drive with some videos that my husband & I could watch on our separate Kindles while in-flight. However, now I'm reading that it may not be allowed on planes. Has anybody used one of these in-flight before? If so, can you tell me which airline/plane?

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
I'd say the chances of a flight attendant noticing it are few and far between. I use a wireless mouse all the time in flight (which are "banned"), and I've been asked to stop using it exactly once during during my nearly 400,000 miles in the air.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:16 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Same here with Bluetooth headphones. Never even had a second glance. I doubt the FA would even know what you were doing.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
So I take it that that's a Wifi enabled HDD? Then leave it inside a bag.

If it's wired, just don't have it out in the open. I used a wired HDD a couple of weeks ago on a flight and nobody said a thing, now, it was rather obvious, but the worst they could do was say put it away, I was only transferring data to the drive as I was taking my computer to the Apple Store a few hours after landing, on my way home.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

yup, it's a wireless hard drive & although it's not Bluetooth I believe the way it works to be similar. Thanks for the advice all!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I've used my 1TB Patriot Gauntlet Node on many, many flights. Once powered on I leave it in the seatback pocket. I prefer that as it gets at least some air. If I left it in my bag it would get seriously hot. Also never had anyone bat an eyelid. The WIFI range is really poor so it's unlikely to cause a problem (IMHO)....
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Use it with no worries. I would not mention it to the crew, nor ask their permission. Just use it as you would like. Asking will only lead you to the person who thinks it is their obligation to say NO to all such requests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.